Lane Hogging (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Hardly relevant peter I'm traveling at 74mph speedo reading middle lane, the lorry I have just overtaken was traveling at 68mph speedo reading inside lane the next lorry ahead of me inside lane is also traveling at 68mph indicated. The outside lane is clear. What gap between the two lorries would you allow before I am accused of being a lane hog. Then we have the most important factor of all...........Where are you, what speed are you traveling at and what is your intention....simple question as the highway code doesn't make it clear..:unsure:
I'd be more concerned at how the lorries were doing 68mph ?? :rolleyes:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
90 posts, god does it really matter one jot, how can be staying in one lane be worse than speeding or weaving in and out of lane one , or no indicaters or a hundred and one things , what is so important that a couple of lane changes can ruin your whole day, just live and let live would make our roads all the safer(y):)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'd be more concerned at how the lorries were doing 68mph ?? :rolleyes:
It is sometimes difficult to get passed a lorry at a speedo reading of 70 so they cant be far off their speedo reading 68....(y) I think they have a more accurate speed reading than car drivers....this is why I posted 74 for car drivers probably nearer to 70....:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
90 posts, god does it really matter one jot, how can be staying in one lane be worse than speeding or weaving in and out of lane one , or no indicaters or a hundred and one things , what is so important that a couple of lane changes can ruin your whole day, just live and let live would make our roads all the safer(y):)
No it doesn't matter one jot. But most of us haven't got anything better to do :rolleyes:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
They sound like extremely bad roads. Most potholes (or lines of them) can be avoided by moving 10 inches to one side. Unless you're asleep :eek:

Trust me, they are. They seem to deteriorate very fast, once a small hole is made I suppose the constant pounding by lorry tyres makes them enlarge at quite a rate, I have seen some parts if the A12 where it is simply not possible to avoid them by moving a few inches to one side. If one is missed you go down another. I regularly drive that route so I know where the worst bits are and now I try to time my journeys to the less busy times so I san move into the centre lane, and that's not particularly smooth either. Some major work is needed on our roads now which could have been avoided had timely proper repairs been due as they become necessary.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think the problem is overcrowding.

Once in the middle lane, a driver may not want to give it up. If they did, they’d have to negotiate a way back in and may lose position.
If the roads were less congested an alert driver might be more willing to move across to allow a faster vehicle easier passage, knowing that they can move back into their favoured lane soon after.

I don’t think it has much to do with potholes, unless used as an excuse.

If you travel around average ‘lorry speed’, you’ll generally be able to stick to the inside lane getting better fuel consumption into the bargain as you allow those in more of a hurry to pass by.
Chill.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Before you change lanes it is YOUR responsibility to ensure that it is safe to do so.
I do .If you are behind me I have room. If , in the event I am already exceeding the speed limit then you have no rights whatsoever.:)
Any manoeuvre that you perform should not cause other road users to change course or speed.
Any maneouvre causes others to ch<nge course or speed in most cases . A vehicle travelling at 50 mph cannot do anything other than cause a speed reduction in those on the outer lanes travelling faster.

If you are about to overtake a vehicle in your lane it is YOUR responsibility to perform the manoeuvre ONLY when it is safe to do so. This means that you must be able to do this without forcing another driver to change course or speed.
A vehicle travelling at 50 mph cannot do anything other than cause a speed reduction in those on the outer lanes travelling faster. & ,if I am nearer the overtake of the vehicle in my lane than the driver in the next lane is to me ,then I have the right of way.(y)

Please tell me that I have misunderstood your position.
No You understand the correct way of road craft.(y)
I have seen far better lane discipline on French motorways than on any UK ones.
You must drive on diifferent ones to me. Yes , They'll come back in but far too early & if you don't lift /brake they'll smash into you. Far worse than the spanish.
My friends who travel regularly from Northern France state that they enter the outside lane & never leave it except for stops/fuel Until the border at Irun. According to them to do so would mean they'd never get out of the inside lane again.

I am sure you are not suggesting people should remain in theft lane when they know they are entering a section perhaps two/three miles long which has large potholes and very bad surface degradation and just hope the inevitable cashing and banging as they are hit does no damage to the vehicle integrity, or cause blowouts which may well result in collisions or that it would be bad driving to avoid such dangers in the road surface?

I earlier mentioned stretches or road where I know there are very large potholes and serious degradation, I hope you don't suggest I should not avoid them and accept the consequences of not doing so just so I don't inconvenience someone who wishes to overtake. Given that these road sections are perhaps three or four miles long and I might be doing 60 mph, the person wanting to overtake will be inconvenienced for around three or four minutes.

The law is not intended to punish those who have to avoid dangers on the carriageway, it is to stop people hogging the outer lanes unnecessarily, The issue can sometimes be very much to-do with potholes and their avoidance does not amount to an excuse, neither is it poor driving.
If people know the road is that bad then they should be emailing/ringing those responsible hourly on a daily basis & if nothing is done it requires someone with a bit of gumption to run a machine down the road & tear it up to force them to repair it. If they've enough money for lazy, gay ,black ,transvestites & other unwanted tat then there should be aircraft runways to drive on.

It is sometimes difficult to get passed a lorry at a speedo reading of 70 so they cant be far off their speedo reading 68....(y) I think they have a more accurate speed reading than car drivers....this is why I posted 74 for car drivers probably nearer to 70....:)
At you speedo reading of 70mph you are lucky to be doing 63mph.7-10% fast most read. Be assured that the lorry tacho is spot on.
So for you to be doing exactly 70 your speedo would have to be showing around 77-78mph.

This is what the problem is with many people & especially in road works . I find myself in some with a 40mph limit & watching my gps speed + my camera gps speed & the speedo I find I am going faster than the outside lane which is just using his speedo.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Last word from me on the subject, there are some roads where there are long stretches with large potholes and other damage that and I doubt anyone who regularly drives in the UK would dispute that, I think staying out of the lane concerned until the particular section had been passed is perfectly reasonable and acceptable driving, it's not an excuse, it is not inconsiderate. I consider that if people who want to overtake get annoyed at any short delay and expect other drivers to risk damage to suspension and tyres by remaining in the affected lane so they can zoom past are the inconsiderate ones who need to chill. Consideration for other road users goes both ways Those who have to get out of a lane to avoid damage should pull back in when they can and those who want to pass should show a little patience and have some consideration for their predicament.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I gave up with it in the UK years ago .If my lane with me in it is going faster than theirs ,then I pass on the inside.
Many do it though as the inside lane is sh**e due to tramlining from poor substrate.

Never seen that in Germany. You get run down in a blaze of headlights & horns on the autobahn.
Yes that's my experience.

Wyn

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I do .If you are behind me I have room. If , in the event I am already exceeding the speed limit then you have no rights whatsoever.:)

Any maneouvre causes others to ch<nge course or speed in most cases . A vehicle travelling at 50 mph cannot do anything other than cause a speed reduction in those on the outer lanes travelling faster.

A vehicle travelling at 50 mph cannot do anything other than cause a speed reduction in those on the outer lanes travelling faster. & ,if I am nearer the overtake of the vehicle in my lane than the driver in the next lane is to me ,then I have the right of way.(y)

You must drive on diifferent ones to me. Yes , They'll come back in but far too early & if you don't lift /brake they'll smash into you. Far worse than the spanish.
My friends who travel regularly from Northern France state that they enter the outside lane & never leave it except for stops/fuel Until the border at Irun. According to them to do so would mean they'd never get out of the inside lane again.

If people know the road is that bad then they should be emailing/ringing those responsible hourly on a daily basis & if nothing is done it requires someone with a bit of gumption to run a machine down the road & tear it up to force them to repair it. If they've enough money for lazy, gay ,black ,transvestites & other unwanted tat then there should be aircraft runways to drive on.

At you speedo reading of 70mph you are lucky to be doing 63mph.7-10% fast most read. Be assured that the lorry tacho is spot on.
So for you to be doing exactly 70 your speedo would have to be showing around 77-78mph.

This is what the problem is with many people & especially in road works . I find myself in some with a 40mph limit & watching my gps speed + my camera gps speed & the speedo I find I am going faster than the outside lane which is just using his speedo.
Couple of points gus, I am absolutely fully aware of everything which you are in respect of speedo speeds sanav speeds and the rest, in fact my large digital speedo display on my car can be easily compared to all other devices with an accuracy of 100%. Secondly any speed limit is a maximum figure not a compulsory speed to travel at.
I spend most of my time on the M25 with all of it's anomalies so given the negative points of any other road in Europe I have probably experienced it on a daily basis on the M25.. Not only that....I am probably one of the best drivers around and it is not just me who says this gus.......;):cool:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

:doh:

You’re not wrong there if you adhere to your rule set and pull out in front of others.

You don’t; but clearly believe that you do! :doh:

Based on the views that you’ve expressed here, I doubt very much that you know what colour the Road Craft manual is never mind it’s contents.

On the positive side, I see that you reside in Spain so the likelihood of my being a victim of your behaviours ought to be slim.

Safe Travels everyone.

Ian

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I bet this one is a middle lane hogger as well as the "I've indicated so it's my right to pull out when I want" brigade.
Looks like they were heading straight for the outside lane as well. :eek:

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Thats why I have train horn fitted , and it would have been sounding
well on the approach to the car . It is becoming more and more prevalent this type of action , especially coming out of service areas.
If you prepare for the the most idiotic action of drivers , you find you wont be disappointed very often ! The truck driver obviously wasn't fully paying attention either .

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I bet this one is a middle lane hogger as well as the "I've indicated so it's my right to pull out when I want" brigade.

...... and THAT is why I say you would call me a middle lane hogger. Had that nearly happen to me loads of times ... so when approaching a left side approach road I keep to middle lane in anticipation of an idiot doing just that because 'he sees a mh coming and doesn't want to be behind it.'

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
...... and THAT is why I say you would call me a middle lane hogger. Had that nearly happen to me loads of times ... so when approaching a left side approach road I keep to middle lane in anticipation of an idiot doing just that because 'he sees a mh coming and doesn't want to be behind it.'

No, I would not consider you Joy or any other road user a middle lane hogger if when approaching a junction and such that you pull into the next lane to the right if other vehicles are approaching from the left as long as you return to the inside lane after clearing the junction or slip road. It's the the one's that sit in the middle or outside lane for miles and mile for no reason that I consider middle lane hogger, do you agree ?

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Driving from Glasgow to Warrington and back every afternoon / evening as I did for 12 years in a 7.5ton lorry I would sit at 70mph the whole way (because I have a tachograph and it could be very costly for me to exceed 70mph). I would sit in the inside lane and would often have to go into the third lane to overtake some dozy bug*er sitting at less than 70mph in the middle lane with nothing in the inside lane.
I would make a point of cutting across their nose to the nearside lane with my left indicator flashing constantly and leaving it on for a little while once I got there! Sometimes they get the message and move in.

Another annoying thing are the idiots that fly down the fast lane when you're approaching a third lane closure, creating a bottleneck and everything grinds to a halt. I take great pleasure preventing this by going into the fast lane and sitting alongside a HGV in the middle lane but without overtaking him. Drivers behind see that they're not going to get past so go into the middle lane and the traffic keeps moving. Approaching the closed lane the HGV lets me on front of him. The traffic never stops and everyone gets home faster(y)

JRE

Free Member
Jan 27, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Middle lane hogging is an English thing. We don't have that problem in Wales where every motorist respects the others position and always drives in the left hand lane. When, 'over the brige', in England I am frequently forced to revert to overtaking on the inside to get passed these hoggers who have little respect for their fellow motorists. Alternatively I have to cross all three lanes to get passed and then recross to resume my journey in the left hand lane.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

Unfortunately the truck couldn't pull over because he was being overtaken by the car that then crashed into the 'idiot'
I find it a problem in the MH which has quite considerable blind spots, that some people take ages overtaking and therefore sit in a blind spot for a long time. Of course I see them coming into the blind spot but sometimes they hide for so long I've forgotten that they're there.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Unfortunately the truck couldn't pull over because he was being overtaken by the car that then crashed into the 'idiot'.

And that is the reason why those joining the motorway have to give way to those already on the motorway.

It’s clear that many drivers do not understand this. I have had a few drivers flash their lights because I did not move over to create a space for them.

Ian

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
In France it seems the problem is different. People joining the motorway are going too slowly to merge with the existing traffic. I have tried slowing for them but then they slow further and still can't join. Perhaps they don't expect there to be any traffic on the motorway, as indeed there often isn't.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

They should of seen that truck coming!

In France it seems the problem is different. People joining the motorway are going too slowly to merge with the existing traffic. I have tried slowing for them but then they slow further and still can't join. Perhaps they don't expect there to be any traffic on the motorway, as indeed there often isn't.

I find the opposite in France, Spain, Beneluxe and Germany. Usually, drivers wanting to join motorway pick up great speed quickly in order to get with the flow of traffic.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Middle lane marshals don't you just love them.....There is often a perfectly good reason why people don't cut in and out of the inside lane cruise control being one, when down comes the marshal doing well in access of the max speed limit then swerves across the two outside lanes nodding their head as they do it.:rolleyes:
They are called CLODS - Centre Lane Owner Drivers

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

That large German estate didn't read or anticipate that situation at all well. He should have read what was going to happen and slowed long before that car pulled from the lay-by. Major problem with drivers, they don't read and act accordingly. If he had taken his foot off the gas for a moment then the truck could have moved out safely and collision prevented. There are some inconsiderate dicks using the outside lane......

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That large German estate didn't read or anticipate that situation at all well. He should have read what was going to happen and slowed long before that car pulled from the lay-by. Major problem with drivers, they don't read and act accordingly. If he had taken his foot off the gas for a moment then the truck could have moved out safely and collision prevented. There are some inconsiderate dicks using the outside lane......
But probably couldn't see it through the lorry?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
But probably couldn't see it through the lorry?
Reading the road is a constant process that starts long before you reach the next obstacle. The estate Audi thingy would have seen the car moving along the lay-by long before he speeded himself alongside the lorry. Why did he block the lorry in while it was passing a slip road with a car moving. I'll tell you why, he didn't read the road.....

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Reading the road is a constant process that starts long before you reach the next obstacle. The estate Audi thingy would have seen the car moving along the lay-by long before he speeded himself alongside the lorry. Why did he block the lorry in while it was passing a slip road with a car moving. I'll tell you why, he didn't read the road.....
That will depend what other traffic was behind the lorry.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
That will depend what other traffic was behind the lorry.
Then he should have been driving within the speed limit and within the road limitations and his own abilities in those conditions. It is all too easy to blame others for your own impatience.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Middle lane hogging is an English thing. We don't have that problem in Wales where every motorist respects the others position and always drives in the left hand lane.
In my part of Wales they treat the single carriageway A483 between Welshpool and Ruabon Interchange as a duel carriageway, it doesn't matter if it's safe to overtake, they just go for it and expect those cars coming the other way to keep well left to get out of their way.:mad: Heaven help anyone who's not paying attention

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back