Free Member
May 3, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
1st year
It's already been mentioned in this section but I thought I would give another recommendation for the car park at Lake Vyrnwy, the one at the top end, furthest from the dam. We had a night there a week or so ago, no problems at all and our first 'wild camping' experience.

I blogged about it here :thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
:blush:
It's already been mentioned in this section but I thought I would give another recommendation for the car park at Lake Vyrnwy, the one at the top end, furthest from the dam. We had a night there a week or so ago, no problems at all and our first 'wild camping' experience.

I blogged about it here :thumb:[/QUOTE200

2009, wow !!!
Any more recent visitors to this area ????
We were thinking of a visit !!!!:blush:

Jun 9, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Malibu T500
Exp
Since 2014
Did our first wild camp there last Wednesday! Absolutely beautiful spot. Fell asleep to baaing sheep and woke to them bumping into the van! Our collie just ignored them! Lovely spot! Nice walk to waterfall and very enjoyable eating bacon butties listening to to babbling water and baaing of sheep - they are not shy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
If you don't like wild camping. The village on the edge of lake Vynwy have a little campsite, very small charge per person per night £2 Met a lovely couple of ladies from the village, they organise loads of events . One to keep any eye on for future rallies me thinks :)

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Trying to sort out our very first wild night away from home in our brand new, self built motorhome on its' break test session running in trip of adventure.

Because we don't live too far away from all of them, we have been for a slow drive by all of our near/local resrvoirs including Vyrnwy, Elan Valley complex (amazing) and Clywedog (close to Llanidloes) and to be honest they all look absolutely amazing!

Can't wait to get away after 30 or so years as a respectable, law abiding, caravan owner!!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Great spot by the waterfall at Lake Vyrnwy, very peaceful very secluded and great view, but just watch our for the midges - prob Ok now but rife in August.

Personally didnt care for the campsite there, very cheap but a rough field with no view miles from the lake, unless I didnt see the right one??

Lots of Wildcamping spots in Wales, wildcamping website has an app thing that shows them all on google earth, well worth another tenner.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Lots of Wildcamping spots in Wales, wildcamping website has an app thing that shows them all on google earth, well worth another tenner.

Do you have any details on the website, interested in exploring Wales as a bit nearer than Scotland.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Enjoyed the blog entry, we used to wild camp a lot with another couple (safer in numbers) during the winter , but the wife now & always has been , very nervous on our own. we now go to france & use the aires , no problem on our own.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Carolyn and I got married in the Lake Vyrnwy Hotel,overlooking the lake.
We then went on to Oulton Park where I drove a Formula Ford at the Nigel Mansell school of motor racing as a present from Carolyn. (y)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
This is the carpark we stayed in and below is the waterfall about 10 minutes walk away, or the lake is about 200 yards away.

vyrnwy car park.jpg
vyrnwy waterfall.jpg

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Stopped at this truly amazing reservoir only last night (11/10/15).
We didn't stop in the car-park as many others have done but far further down towards the dam at the other end some 6 miles further East.
At the side of the road was a quite large pull in place where we parked, checked the levels and it was almost 100% flat and then watched all the day trippers leave, one by one until by 19.45 we were the only ones there and it wasn't until 10.30 hrs this morning when the very first cyclist dared to ride down the lane!

Oh what a magical place, and oh what an introduction to motorhoming on the 'Wild Side! !!!!!!!!!!!

A truly brilliant experience!!

All the very best

Phil

Attachments

• 16.First WILD CAMP-1.jpg
    16.First WILD CAMP-1.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 16.First WILD CAMP-2.jpg
    16.First WILD CAMP-2.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 16.First WILD CAMP-3.jpg
    16.First WILD CAMP-3.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 16.First WILD CAMP-4.jpg
    16.First WILD CAMP-4.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 95
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Stopped at this truly amazing reservoir only last night (11/10/15).

Was that the picnic area with the giant tables and benches ?
I was there a couple of weeks ago on the way back from Elan Valley / Aberyswyth and having read this thread I decided to swing by and take a look. Plan to return for a longer stay and explore more when time allows.

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
where is lake vyrnwy never been there but would like to take alook regards mervyn

Approx 10 miles WWN of Welshpool, Powys.

Very well signed from many different directions.

BeyondTheVan

Free Member
Dec 4, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Luton Van Conversion
Exp
Since July 2015
LOVE Lake Vyrnwy. Our first wild camp was there on Boxing Day night. Torrential rain when we arrived and we woke up to the most amazing views of the Lake. Since then, we've toured around Wales and our plan is to head back to Vyrnwy tomorrow for the weekend. Superb place to wild camp. I will do a detailed blog after our next visit with plenty of photos as we're planning to park up and cycle around the lake armed with my camera!
Rich.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back