Lake Maggiore no tolls (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2012
lancs
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2006
Hi all in preparation for our September trip, hopefully to Lake Maggiore, does anyone have a toll free route to get there, as we begrudge putting money into the pockets of all these countries who don't like us any more as we are leaving their club, incidentally I managed to get the French Air Quality Certificate after an hour of Red wine assisted endeavour.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
You could go Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland but you'd need a vignette to transit Swiss. €40 for 3500kg vans or I think €25 for 10 days if it's a heavy van.
Loads on here about Swiss tax, just search for it.
That's the way I'd go though, you'd struggle to get away without paying anything.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The tolls we encountered en rout to Maggiore from Switzerland weren't that expensive compared to France where I avoid toll roads with a vengeance. We entered via Switzerland which cost us €40, but we wanted to have a few days there anyway.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
You could go through the tunnel at 50 odd euro or go Austria but either way it'll be longer. You wont save anything in the long run

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If you decide to go into Switzerland, use the Simplon Pass. It's free and comes out in Italy at Lake Miggorie.. There is an Aire on the top of the Pass. Used it a few weeks ago both ways. Nearest Swiss town to the Simplon Pass is Brig.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
St Gotthard is also free and brings you out at Locarno at the top of the lake

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
You could do that but it'll put hours and miles on your trip

Yes but thats what the op wanted!

It won't prevent you from going into Switzerland and having to buy a vignette

Interesting one that! Makes me wonder how smart these Sat navs may be! Have to try that one day and see what it says. In theory - should say no route available. I wonder???

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
How expensive are the tolls in comparison to the cost of fuel to avoid them?

Just checked my log book and we didn't pay any tolls between Simplon and Maggiore but we drove from Maggiore to lake Iseo on the autostrada past Milan, a distance of 128 miles which cost €10.60.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
There were 2 routes published in MMM January 2017 edition by Brian Fairbrother, one to Lake Garda via Austria the other to Lake Maggiore via Switzerland. Both of them are non-toll routes although you'll still need a vignette for Switzerland. We used the first earlier in the year and it was a lovely run - we even used the recommended stopovers. We plan to use the second later this year. Obviously they're not the quickest routes mind.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes but thats what the op wanted!

Interesting one that! Makes me wonder how smart these Sat navs may be! Have to try that one day and see what it says. In theory - should say no route available. I wonder???
No because roads that take you through borders are still roads per sea and you can wander in and out st your leisure. A border control sign can up telling me border in so many kilometers, as any border, but there isn't a setting in the sat navs to have a Border Charge option. Ours is set for no toll road, or U turns etc but no options for Border Charge.
Even though Dartford crossing is free after 10.00 pm, it'll divert irrespective of time. Can't knock the sat nav

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a look at ViaMichelin and RAC's route planner, you can manipulate the details to get a route that suits you with/without tolls.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Via Austria is one way. The only other way I can think of is going much further South into France and using one of the Southern Alpine passes.

Either way adds so much time and distance to the journey that it would more than likely work out to be more expensive than just paying a few tolls.

If you're on a time limit then neither one is really practical. If time isn't a factor and you don't care about the cost but just have some weird moral objection to tolls then go for it. I'd suggest one of the Southern France routes.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Mont Cenis is a nice trip over the top if that's what you'd rather. It goes over the Frejus tunnel and is the old road into Italy. Drops down into Susa and then to Torino.
Used to go over it in a truck years ago

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back