Lake Garda trip itinerary - What do you think? (1 Viewer)

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Hi all,

Just been planning a short trip to Lake Garda in late April, has to be weekend to weekend so only 9 days.

I've come up (thanks to many various posts and reviews) with the following route/stop overs, would love to know what people think?

Day 0 (yes, not acutally the first day): Evening drive to Dover (from Midlands) and wild it at Marine Parade, Dover

Day 1: Catch an early crossing to Calais and drive to Metz, staying at Camp Municipal Metz-Plage overnight

Day 2: Drive to Lucerne, staying at Camping International Lido, Luzern

Day 3: Drive to Lake Garda, staying at Camping Del Garda, would of stayed at Butterfly, but they have a minium of 7 days out of season.

Days 4,5 & 6: Based at Camping Del Garda

Day 7: Drive back to Lucerne, staying at Camping International Lido, Luzern

Day 8: Drive back to Metz, staying at Camp Municipal Metz-Plage overnight

Day 9: Drive back to Calais and catch the ferry back to Dover and drive back home.

I've used the above stayovers by referring to other peoples posts.

Now, I love Venice, and as it's only a short trip from Garda, was thinking about a day trip. I know they've got the expensie Aree, but parking is expensive at Venice, so not really a bad price, however, should we give up a day on Camping Del Garda and stay or is it easy enough to catch a train into (and back from) Venice for a day trip?

Thanks in advance for any tips/guidance! :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You have a good plan.

You know you go near Luxembourg, cheap fuel there.

Don't know Camping del Garda, but Camping Cappuccino is nearly as good as Butterfly, very close to town.

Rail to Venice is easy.

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Thanks Brian,

I did use some of your previous posts for guidance! :thumb:

Was thinking about a trip to Lux for some cheapo fuel.

Does the savings stack up to drive some extra miles for fuel?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Craig, as Brian (Hilldweller) has said you have the makings of a good plan. I would prefer to cross over to Calais upon arrival at Dover and overnight in the ticket office car park. It's free and safe if a little noisey, but it's up and away straight away the next morning, also the cost of a late ferry may be cheaper than that of a morning crossing. There are no problems getting to Venice by train from Peschierra. The journey takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes, on arrival at Venice you walk out of the station and the canal is right in front of you. There are two types of train service, the Inter City service is a little quicker but costs a lot more. We used the standard service, it cost us less than €20 per person return.
Have a great trip,
Brisey

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Suggest you ask Toffs RV

I suggest you contact Gary (Toffs RV) .. he did that trip earlier this year in his RV...

Bob

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Thanks Brian,

Filled up in Luxembourg last week €1.21 ltr :thumb: a saving of about €0.25 to €0.27 ltr on France and Germany
Switzerland it is about CHF 1.95 to 2.04(motorway)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

The Italian Job route, might have been Brisey's route, was Lille Namur Luxembourg Metz. Most important it was toll free to Metz so all in all big savings.

Pity you've only 9 days, but you'll be back.

I do think Cappuccino is better placed than del Garda. But look at the facilities.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=via...19+Peschiera+del+Garda+Verona,+Italy&t=h&z=19

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We did Lake Iseo in September ! 2 days from Dunkirque via Luxemburge, Mulhouse, Basel, Luzerne staying our first night on an Swiss Motorway Aire with other Motorhomes and Trucks, no problem what so ever.

Have a great time.

SilverF1

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
7 years and upwards
We stayed at Camping Butterfly in Peschiera del Garda, last year and did a day trip by train to Venice.

The journey by the local stopping train is cheaper but takes almost two hours each way. The express train was about 18 Euros each but a half hour quicker. Can be cool on the train with the aircon on.

Don't forget to "Validate" your ticket in the red stamping machine on the platform after you buy it, if you do the trip.

HTH

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sounds good Craig. What sort of distance is to Metz, then Lucerne etc?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Treacle, approximate distances are as follows.

Calais to Metz 290 miles

Metz to Lucerne 230 miles

Lucerne to Peshierra 230 miles

Don't forget you will have to purchase a vignette at the Swiss border.

Brisey.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi Treacle, approximate distances are as follows.

Calais to Metz 290 miles

Metz to Lucerne 230 miles

Lucerne to Peshierra 230 miles

Don't forget you will have to purchase a vignette at the Swiss border.

Brisey.

Cheers Brisey that's great:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sounds ok to me cant help you with the trip there and back as we did it via Germany and Austria. When we stayed there in summer 2010 we used the local bus to go to Verona and the train to Venice. If your buying tickets for the bus you can get them off the driver but if you pop into a local tabacconist you can buy tickets there for about a 1/3 of the price.

Gerry

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Thanks Brian,

We did GB privilege Eurean tour and included Garda. What wver you do go and see Simione.

Philk

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
We did lake Garda in August stayed at camping Wien on the other side of the lake to camping del Garda

When we went over we intended to stay that the aire in Arque but couldn't get under the low bridge which is 3.4m we are 3.6mbut the idea being we were further down to start the next morning we also stocked up at the Auchan in st Omer

On the way down we went through France and the through he mont blanc tunnel came back up through Como and on to Lugano lovely route contemplated going over the st gothard pass but as we broke down in Lugano we were pressed for time

Hope you have a great trip

Cheers
Gary and Cathy

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Meant to add Venice for the day is pretty easy we did it for my birthday we also went to the opera in Verona easy bus ride drops you off right near the main square and opera however be warned buses back stop at around 8 to 9 pm and when we walked to the station which was a hell of a long way the station was closed by the time we got there and not very pleasant at that time of night especially when a guy jumped out of the bushes dressing himself leaving his lady of the night doing the same thing so we ended getting a taxi back to peschiera which was €60 odd euros, an interesting experience :Eeek:but worth the visit to Verona:Smile:

Cheers
Gary and Cathy

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Getting around the lake?

Which is best?

Leave the MH on the pitch and jump on the ferries (notice you can buy a day pass for them at resonable prices)

Drive the MH around the lake, but then you've got the hassle of parking etc....

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Getting around the lake?

Which is best?

Leave the MH on the pitch and jump on the ferries (notice you can buy a day pass for them at resonable prices)

Drive the MH around the lake, but then you've got the hassle of parking etc....

Definitely leave the Motorhome on the pitch and use the ferries or the local bus service.

Brisey.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Craig, if you use the bus service, buy your tickets in advance from a Tabac shop. It will cost you a lot more if you pay the bus driver when on board the bus.

Brisey.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Is there a snow issue in Switzerland during April? By that I mean M+S tyres or chains required.
Has anybody travelled this in April?

Same would be for the Mont Blanc Tunnel route at that time of year maybe?

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
A second thought.

We used to travel Dijon - Dunkerque 6 or 8 times each year for about 5 years, mostly with a Class 3 camper (Autoroute classification). From experience the section you have off to Metz looks out of the way compared to St Dizier Nancy.

The road down the Marne from Reims to St Dizier is easy but a few roundabouts, St Dizier to Nancy is Expressway with a little Autoroute, but all with no toll and more direct than your route.

Nancy is very compact and again a city in France that is a surprise and very interesting. If you stop there find the harbour with the live-a-board barges, good place for a stroll.

From Nancy you could connect with your existing route but will have saved a bit.

With a little more time then through Belgium - Luxembourg then down the Mosel road, all free.

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Is there a snow issue in Switzerland during April? By that I mean M+S tyres or chains required.
Has anybody travelled this in April?

Same would be for the Mont Blanc Tunnel route at that time of year maybe?

Eeek, hope not. There will probably still be a bit of snow around, but late April should see it clear.

Then again, they've not had much snow yet this year.....

BTW, didn't realise Marks and Spencers did tyres?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
hi i have stayed at camping del garda although with Thomson al fresco and it is a lovely camp peshceria del garda is a must for a evening out and Verona is a short train ride with good links from peshceria del garda station while there dont for get to visit sirmione and also take a look at the other camp nearby Bella Italia we also stayed there and the restaurant lookin over the lake is a must the route i took which was great was France to belguim to Luxenbourg then france again then into swiss ,i stayed just before swiss in a small hotel and there was a large area with mh parked for the evening i will try to look up the village i stopped in near swiss and post asap
happy travelling:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Hotel Du Tremplin is the hotel i stayed and its in the village of bussang i have noticed its the same place that russell stayed at on his way as back from garda

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back