Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Timmolsjoch

"Depending on the sort of vehicle you have and depending on how adventurous you are, the most exciting pass to cross the Alps on is the Timmolsjoch.. Only open during high summer as it is under snow the rest of the year ! ( it peaks at 2509 metres )
When you get close to the top you can stop the van and on one side, walk on the remains of a prehistoric glacier, and on the other side look DOWN on the clouds :thumb:"

That sounds like a road to take my bike ::bigsmile: I would really like that.

But we will be in a 7 mtr Autotrail that just tips into Go Box territory at 3650kg. Will this route cost much on that system also if we went in early June would it be open?

Many thanks for the info everybody.
Mike

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But we will be in a 7 mtr Autotrail that just tips into Go Box territory at 3650kg.
Mike

We sneaked from Italy to Germany through Austria without paying. The secret is the Retschen pass. From Füssen head south. A most glorious pass. Very easy too. So if you don't want anything particular in Austria you can get away without tolls.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hilldweller & Craig Rogers.

Brian thank you so much for your enthusiastic posts re Garda. I haven't been to Como or Garda since 1970. But I'll never forget my first view of it from up high.

We're ready to set off Late May early June for a couple of weeks, I've taken on board all your advice and ignored some of your Pee taking (keep it up).

Craig, thank you also. I too have been in touch with Butterfly and others, it would appear that simply turning up is the answer.

Really looking forward to it, and to meeting you guys.........Griff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I too have been in touch with Butterfly and others, it would appear that simply turning up is the answer.

Make it early in the day, I've seen so many turned away from Butterfly. I fear all they are saying is "let's get this English person off our backs".

It's mighty depressing doing the rounds and being told to come back tomorrow. There is an aire in Peschiere so if they promise a pitch next day you can try that but all we got in Sept was try again tomorrow.

I've just noticed the map showing Bella Italia next to Cappuccino, I thought someone said that name as next to Butterfly. The huge one next to Cappuccino ( which was full in Sept ) looks great but with loads of kids. The Stalag one is next to Butterfly shown as del Garda on the map.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=45.441563,10.678824&spn=0.003203,0.006046&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That was my original site, but when I realised Butterfly was ACSI I changed it. Next door to Cappucini is Bella Italia. Any idea if they place is ok? They are also part of ACSI.

OOPS !!

I got this one wrong. This looks a very nice campsite, was full in Sept, but there's a lot of Butlins about it, great for kids, with guarded exits on to the beach.

Should have gone to Specsavers.

Oh dear, I did.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
"Depending on the sort of vehicle you have and depending on how adventurous you are, the most exciting pass to cross the Alps on is the Timmolsjoch.. Only open during high summer as it is under snow the rest of the year ! ( it peaks at 2509 metres )
When you get close to the top you can stop the van and on one side, walk on the remains of a prehistoric glacier, and on the other side look DOWN on the clouds :thumb:"

That sounds like a road to take my bike ::bigsmile: I would really like that.

But we will be in a 7 mtr Autotrail that just tips into Go Box territory at 3650kg. Will this route cost much on that system also if we went in early June would it be open?

Many thanks for the info everybody.
Mike

The only roads the Gobox will register on are few and far between.. Surprised at how heavy your unit is.. Our 8.4 meter 7 berth Miller is less than that !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
My portly Autotrail

The only roads the Gobox will register on are few and far between.. Surprised at how heavy your unit is.. Our 8.4 meter 7 berth Miller is less than that !

Many thanks Jaws - great news regarding Go Box.
I checked the autotrail FB brochure and it quotes max gross veicle weight and max authorised weight at 3650kg. Mass in running order 3250kg. I assumed the weight to trigger for go box will be gross vehicle weight. As your MH is less at 8.4mtrs my MH must be a portly thing and needs a diet.
Mike::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would have a look under the bonnet at the plated weight before worrying about a gobox..

If it says on the plate under there 3500 then do not worry about it .. ( it may have plates elsewhere but I have never ever known anyone be tugged and checked in Austria )

We just pay our vignet ( which went up last year :-( ) of about € 11 and that is it.. One woman looked out the window once and asked what it weighed ( and we had the big trailer on with three bikes on it ) and I said under 3500.. OK she said and that was it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back