Lake District recommendations (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford Duo
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for any good sites in the Lake District It will be for me and my husband and our two dogs.

We are newbies to this, so not sure what we want in a campsite but think, electricity is a good start :LOL: Would like walking distance to a village, for shop and pub/meal out, near water, be it lake or coast, the dogs love water and just lots of nice walks around.

Please feel free to tell me if I should be looking for anything in particular, oh suppose I should say we have a motorhome - thanks x

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Keswick camping and caravan club site ...

Ticks all your boxes
Agreed. Keswick is lovely. That site gets booked up quickly so plan well ahead if you go. Oh and it has a tendency to flood so watch the weather forecast (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for any good sites in the Lake District It will be for me and my husband and our two dogs.

We are newbies to this, so not sure what we want in a campsite but think, electricity is a good start :LOL: Would like walking distance to a village, for shop and pub/meal out, near water, be it lake or coast, the dogs love water and just lots of nice walks around.

Please feel free to tell me if I should be looking for anything in particular, oh suppose I should say we have a motorhome - thanks x

we spend a lot of time in the Lakes as we only sat just over an hour away.

One of our favourite places is Hawkshead, we normally stay at the CL just outside the village. If your not a member of the CMC then they have 2 private campsites on the edge of the village, village has a few pubs, shops and cafe's and also some great walks. If your able enough you can get the bus to Ambleside and walk back or you could walk oover to Coniston which is another of our favourites. Again it had a CL right in the center and lovely lakeside walks and stunning hill walking, they also have wildcamping in the school at weekends and holidays plus for £5 you can park in the Social club car park.

Ambleside is also lovely and you can stay overnight at the Rugby club which is a 5 min walk from town, no Electric though.

As has been stated above Keswick is a lovely place, we've never stayed at the sites in town but have stopped at Braithewaite as it only a 10 min cycle and has 2 lovely pubs.

Hope this helps to start and feel free to ask for more info on any of the above, we're off to a CL in Maryport this weekend.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Keswick camping and caravan club site ...

Ticks all your boxes
It is a lovely area, but not the site for you if you don't like busy.

Bowness on Windermere is a good site, not sure who runs it now though.
Park coppice is very nice (C&MC) it's a longish walk, but you can walk to Coniston.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Second Braithwaite Fold, walking distance to lake and town, Windermere, Next to Keswick, further along the road, is Derwent Water which I personally prefer to Keswick. Less crowded, and new facilities again walking distance to the lake and town.

OP
OP
Julzie
Jan 13, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford Duo
Exp
I'm a newbie
we spend a lot of time in the Lakes as we only sat just over an hour away.

One of our favourite places is Hawkshead, we normally stay at the CL just outside the village. If your not a member of the CMC then they have 2 private campsites on the edge of the village, village has a few pubs, shops and cafe's and also some great walks. If your able enough you can get the bus to Ambleside and walk back or you could walk oover to Coniston which is another of our favourites. Again it had a CL right in the center and lovely lakeside walks and stunning hill walking, they also have wildcamping in the school at weekends and holidays plus for £5 you can park in the Social club car park.

Ambleside is also lovely and you can stay overnight at the Rugby club which is a 5 min walk from town, no Electric though.

As has been stated above Keswick is a lovely place, we've never stayed at the sites in town but have stopped at Braithewaite as it only a 10 min cycle and has 2 lovely pubs.

Hope this helps to start and feel free to ask for more info on any of the above, we're off to a CL in Maryport this weekend.

Thanks, probably sound like a total idiot now, but what's CL stand for???

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Certificated Location...….they are often on farms, they are Caravan & MH approved and have 5 pitches, some have loads of facilities such as hook up, showers/toilets ect, some have nothing so you stand alone. It all depends on what you want. Like you we always go for the dog friendly ones.
Oh and they are so much cheaper than the C&MH sites.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sorry I just assumed everyone knew :):). It stands for certified Location, its a site that is allowed 5 vans/motorhomes and for members only so you have to join either the Caravan and motorhome club or the camping and caravan club who have CS instead.

the sites are normally small holdings or farms and can range from full facilities to a field with nothing, they also range in price from £5 a night to £20 a night. We're staying on one this weekend for £8.50 a night with electricity but no showers or toilet.

We mainly use CL's as we find them good value and have found some stunning ones over the years.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
we're off to a CL in Maryport this weekend.

Gerry,
If you get a chance, when you leave Maryport, take the coast road to Silloth. Lovely run along side the Solway. When you get to Silloth, turn into the metalled car park at 54.872471,-3.388629. There is a sign at the entrance saying No Caravanning but it means overnight.
From here with binoculars you will be able to see your house!:whistle:

There are two chippies in Silloth both very good. When you leave Silloth, you will have to go via Wigton.

Try and get some Cumberland sausage from Richard Harrison on the High Street. He makes the best Cumberland sausage in the World!!
Barry

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Castlerigg Hall campsite is a respectable walk (20 minutes) into Keswick. Has a bar on site and there's a restaurant next door (might be closed out of season ?)
It has good views down over Keswick and towards Cat Bells.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We’ve had very happy stays at Skelwith Fold, which is quite a big site and has some statics/lodges on site but is actually a quiet site. A walk into Ambleside, albeit a “decent” walk. A cracking pub (well the food is anyway, I don’t drink!) within reasonable walking distance.

https://www.skelwith.com/

Or have had good stays at Pooley Bridge, the pubs/cafes are nearer than the Skelwith site but Pooley Bridge is much smaller than Ambleside.
http://www.parkfootullswater.co.uk/

Again it’s a big site but big enough that it’s quiet if you know what I mean.

NB I wouldn’t fancy either site in school holidays though, they are very much family sites so could be full of feral children running amok..

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
It is a lovely area, but not the site for you if you don't like busy.
- Park coppice is very nice (C&MC) it's a longish walk, but you can walk to Coniston.

The walk from Park Coppice to the town has wonderful views of lake Coniston. Its a dedicated footpath along an old railway track, also though some fields, - look out for the bulls!

Jun 9, 2016
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
None
No one has mentioned Pier Cottage @ Coniston.

On the lake and ten minutes into a village with one of the best dog friendly pubs we have ever been to (Black Bull).

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
No one has mentioned Pier Cottage @ Coniston.

On the lake and ten minutes into a village with one of the best dog friendly pubs we have ever been to (Black Bull).
Haven't mentioned it cos its brilliant. Toilet facilities somewhat lacking but you can put up with that for the location. Have our week there in July just wish we could extend to 2 weeks. Dead mans shoes and all that...

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
@Julzie
We live right on the northern boundary of the Lake District National Park.

We try hard not to go to the more touristy parts of the Park - it is just too busy, all year round for us.

What I would advise is to download Search for Sites or other site finding apps and have a look around the edges especially the northern, western and eastern edges.

If you use search for sites use the map search option and set the search to 20 miles radius and then move it around the area you want to be in. You can refine it to ,say, include only sites that have EHU available. If you see any that take your fancy, copy & paste the coordinates and have a look at them on Google maps using the satellite setting and then Street view which will give you a good idea of the layout. Any you have identified as possible, type their name( followed by reviews) into a Google search, and see what other people think but beware the whingers who seem to delight in complaining!
Have a think about the weather and if you will need hard standing for your MH.
If you visit in the spring, at lambing time you will need to keep your dogs on a lead most of the time as a lot of the land is common land and sheep have preference.

If I had to name one site for Motorhomers who need facilities in the Lakes, I would say the C&CC site at Ravenglass. Not the most direct to get to but worth the effort.

Enjoy our part of the world.
Barry

OP
OP
Julzie
Jan 13, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford Duo
Exp
I'm a newbie
@Julzie
If I had to name one site for Motorhomers who need facilities in the Lakes, I would say the C&CC site at Ravenglass. Not the most direct to get to but worth the effort.

Enjoy our part of the world.
Barry

Funnily enough, we had done a search like you suggested and we found Ravenglass, looked st it on satellite maps and liked the look of it, plus all the reviews were great, so we booked it - glad to know we did ok LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
Julzie
Jan 13, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford Duo
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all your suggestions, as newbies and the fact that I also suffer with depression and anxiety, I got put off the site in Keswick as the recent reviews said there’d been a change of owner and he was less than pleasant - that would be enough to make me turn tail and run I’m afraid.

After having a good look around we settled on a site in Ravenglass, looking at the satellite maps, we could see the site, how close it was to town and the coast line and all the reviews were fantastic, so we’ve booked to go. Really looking to going, never owned a motorhome and never been to the Lake District

Thanks again for all your suggestions, I’m sure I’ll try them all out at some point xx

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Gillside caravan and camping. Independent side just on the edge of Glenridding village (ullswater) but dont tell everyone:D2. The owner even does a breakfast van on weekend mornings. Lovely site.
Tent campers one side and MoHOs with hook up and toilet/showers (plus a few statics) the other side

A few loose sheep on site but fab dog walks out. Theres also a small caravan club site just outside glenridding

Mrs S

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back