Lake District at Christmas (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
We fancy having out Christmas dinner overlooking the lakes.

Any advice on sites to stay in the lakes at Christmas?

John

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
DSC00537_1.jpg
We'll be in Torver nr Coniston for Christmas. Fantastic views of The Old Man, and over the fells, and just a short walk to the lake.
This is last year in our Hymer, now replaced by a Hobby...new pic will be required.
Allen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We love teh Croft site at Hawkshead - sheltered location with great little village just across the road. Each pitche has drinking water and TV as well as EHU and grey water so if it is cold you dont have to trek far!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
The quiet site is lovely but a bit pricey. Great views of ullswater, lovely walks and a small private pub on site with log burners and local entertainment.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Keswick has been very badly hit and will be struggling to function for quite a while.

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
anyone know if the Keswick C&CC site will be back in action for xmas yet as booked in from 27th.
Does anyone know how long it took last time they were flooded.
No info forthcoming yet from C&cc apart from if you cancel you lose deposit but if they cancel you don't.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
anyone know if the Keswick C&CC site will be back in action for xmas yet as booked in from 27th.
Does anyone know how long it took last time they were flooded.
No info forthcoming yet from C&cc apart from if you cancel you lose deposit but if they cancel you don't.
Not sure how high the site is but just watching the news and it's not looking good for people there, JCB in town centre bulldozing mud and sewage from the road.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
The clean up was really quick last time as they need to get things up and running ASAP. I wouldn't cancel yet if it was me. It is still such early days I'm not sure anyone will be able to help you yet. Watching the news now the water hasn't even subsided yet!

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
View attachment 79012 We'll be in Torver nr Coniston for Christmas. Fantastic views of The Old Man, and over the fells, and just a short walk to the lake.
This is last year in our Hymer, now replaced by a Hobby...new pic will be required.
Allen

Why did you swop vans? Sorry off topic.

Last edited:

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Ladguy your right they will leave it to the last minute to tell you. As they did to me a few weeks ago. money grabing buggers!!

OP
OP
John and Jo
Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
We're booked in on the Coniston Park Coppice caravan club site. From what I can make out it's not too bad there but the route to it through Newby bridge don't look too great.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Such a shame for the area, we were near Coniston for the first storm of the season which was pretty mild and the environment people were about as the lake was pretty high.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
@Cyclists , Thanks for sticking with us. I think the site is quite high above the water so there shouldn't be a problem.:)
I don' t know which route you took to get there but in a worst case scenario, somewhere handy to move to if you have to is Lakeland Landrovers.
They are on the A5084 near Torver at 54.329410, -3.097768 They are on the top of a hill!
There is quite a bit of hard standing at the showroom and a car park across the road. They will probably be closed for Christmas

OP
OP
John and Jo
Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Yes drove past Lakeland Landrovers ...gorgeous drive in on some great roads. You sure got a lot of water around even for the lakes. Merry Christmas

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Was in Keswick 2 days ago, most shops and car parks open. The large Booths supermarket won't be open for a while. However, with more rain and high winds forecast for Christmas Day ensure you are on high ground. Electricity North West have emergency plans in place for the weather on Christmas Day into Boxing Day, as power outages are expected. Though sites on high ground will be ok, movement on roads at lower levels could become an issue again over Christmas Day and Boxing Day as some flooding is likely if the forecast materializes.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
It must be devastating to be living there at the moment. The lakes is one of my favourite places and we visit several times a year. My daughter drove through Appleby yesterday as the flood water was rising and said it was awful. I can't imagine being flooded once never mind three times and still at risk. The community spirit we have seen on the news is fabulous. If we lived nearer I'd open my home to anyone who needed it and if we had a holiday home there I'd hand over the keys while they need it. "There but for the grace of God go I"

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Friends had booked to arrive yesterday for C&CC at Keswick, club has told them they have no plans to reopen for the time being. More flooding expected Christmas day and son's on call with ENW Boxing day :xsad:

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
View attachment 79012 We'll be in Torver nr Coniston for Christmas. Fantastic views of The Old Man, and over the fells, and just a short walk to the lake.
Allen

We arrived Tues 22nd....the beck adjacent the site came over the day before making a few pitches un-usable. Lots of flooded fields on the way up, and the A6 at Levens Hall completely shut...we could see the police blocking the road, and the extent of the water from the adjacent Barrow road that we were on.
Very windy, put small sat dish on a tripod, didn't dare put the Oyster up. Later on a few drinks in the Wilsons with free wifi.
Very high winds throughout the night, little sleep, van rocking and all sorts of rattles and noises.
Wed 23rd the wind and the weather forecast seemed to have worsened...site owner agreed with us when we said that very reluctantly we've decided to go home. Driving down the A6 (thought M6 was going to be very windy, so giving it a miss) it was brilliant sunshine, but still windy.
Hope all in the Lakes are ok...we'll be back soon.

Allen & Eileen

OP
OP
John and Jo
Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Yes ...still here and had a good time. Seen a fair bit of rain but that didn't put us off. Went for a walk around part of the lake and into Coniston yesterday in the rain. Today was lovely, and scooted around on the scooter doing a bit of sight seeing. Lovely part of the country. Leave tomorrow but will be back.

Attachments

• 20151227_112739.jpg
    20151227_112739.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 21
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Well done! Grizedale Sculpture Trail, across Coniston Water from where you were is well worth a visit if ever you are in the area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back