Lake District and loch Lomond, May 2018 (1 Viewer)

Shiny Paul.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2017
Thaxted, Essex.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion.
Exp
30 years of weekends away motor racing.
Morning all,
As the title suggests the good lady and I (and the 2 Dogglies) are planning a 2 week tour next May starting in the Lake Distict and ending up around Lock Lomond.
We are planning to wing it as we go and use some campsites, some wild camping and possibly the odd night in a hotel.
I have a few questions which I am sure somebody can help me with.

1. when does the midge season start?

2. When are the Schools half terms in that part of the world.

Also any suggestions of places to stop would be much appreciated.

Cheers Paul.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
The midges really don't start pestering people til mid May. The male midges come out at the end of April but they cannot bite, they do not feed at all.
Plenty of places for wild camping in Cumbria, but Loch Lommond & the Trossachs have new very strict camping controls in place now.
Hope this helps?

Robert.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As Robert says plenty of wild places in the lakes, try emailing some pubs and you'll be surprised by the response if you just say you'll pop in for some beer.

If your going to LL you'll find it a littel harder but not impossible to wild camp, have a look at this link http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/things-to-do/camping/campingbyelaws/camping-motorhome-qas/

If you go up the west side you can still overnight at Duck bay and a few laybys,if you go to Tarbet you can overnight at the pub there cant remember the name just now.

If you decide to go post closer to the time with any questions and I'll do my best to help

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Thinking of overnighting in May at Duck Bay on our way up to Glencoe Mountain Resort and Fort William.
My only concern is I've read the road next to lake at Duck Bay used to have boy racers does anyone know if this is still the case?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The Loch Lomond permit zones were full of incompetence and wrongly applied, challenged and overturned .

The only 3 places left chargeable for a motorhome and a permit needed are Three Lochs Forest Drive, Inveruglas and Firkin Point.

OP
OP
Shiny Paul.

Shiny Paul.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2017
Thaxted, Essex.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion.
Exp
Ok so we have now booked the first 2 weeks of May off work for our expedition to Scotland, the plan has changed slightly as we have now decided to start at Skye and work our way back down, so we may not actually make the Lake District.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Go and do the Western Isles. Much nicer than Skye.

You have picked a good month especially if it’s the latter half.

Remember midge spray as you might encounter them.

Have a great time.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You can do them all. Just island hop. We started with the longest crossing which is Oban to Barra, came off ferry and drove to Vatersay then wilded there, on up to Barra airport, wilded at the harbour, and continued up the islands then back down to Tarbert and ferry to Skye. The islands are stunning.

Pm me if you need more info.

PS The ferries are much cheaper than they used to be. Oban to Castlebay is longest and most expensive.

Last edited:

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Lovely places. Take your brolley and your midge repellant though! I think last year was bumper year for the midge due to the wet summer.

OP
OP
Shiny Paul.

Shiny Paul.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2017
Thaxted, Essex.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion.
Exp
Sadly it looks like we are going to have to postpone our trip till later in the year because "she who must be obeyed" has torn the ligaments in her knee, so would not be able to walk about much.
When do the midges die down after the summer ?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
By August the midges aren't nearly as ferocious, but it really depends on the weather. If its warm & damp they can go on into September or even October.
Ask around on here whenever your planning to go again & I can give you a bit of a heads up, we live in the Galloway Forest Park & we're no strangers to midges lol, so we know what's happening.
Hope your good lady recovers soon mate.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
As stated, It all depends what the weather is doing, still damp conditions will be plagued by midges whereas bright sunshine or windy will keep thematic bay.

Just go prepared, the scenery alone makes it all worthwhile so long as you are sensible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back