Laika the wonder dog , attacked (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Are dogs trust leads yellow too?

No idea. From a distance better safe than sorry.

When you get close YellowDog ones are obvious.

355250285.jpg

EDIT: This is a picture from their website. My dogs are fine with other dogs, I just support their idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
We think this yellow marker is a great idea we shared it on FB a while back(y)
In Charlie's case we have a yellow ribbon not that he bites
(more likely to lick you to death)
But he gets so excited to meet everyone then woofs if they leave him:(
This stems from all the school kids passing our gates.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
No idea. From a distance better safe than sorry.

When you get close YellowDog ones are obvious.

View attachment 101133

EDIT: This is a picture from their website. My dogs are fine with other dogs, I just support their idea.

You can get yellow dog coats with various wordings too e.g. I need Space, I am Deaf are two I've seen on dogs.

Glad Laika is on the mend.

the outlawes

Free Member
Oct 24, 2014
diss norfolk
Funster No
MH
auto roller
Exp
im a newbie
Sorry to here about laika . Same thing happened to my 2 terriers lucky for me a good size branch was close by .Real hectic for a few moments trying to thrash it and not hit my dogs . I now take my horse whip with me . Just in the wrong place at the wrong time i guess but it really makes you think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Further update, we went to the police station, gave the statement to the front of desk worker and all details were given .
They took details of the other dog owners address and the texts he had sent to us , witness to the attack details and also that we gave details to the park warden yesterday was all noted.
The feeling is, that's it, nothing else is going to be followed up by them, other than we will receive a letter from victim support.
After the owner of the other dog said he would pay the vet bill, he has put conditions to payment insofar that the he stated in a text to us he was not admitting any liability, and was refunding our expenses as a good will gesture. He also stated that we could not make any further claim from him for any reason and that payment would only be made once we agreed to this in writing .
We will not be putting anything in writing saying we agree with this , we will be seeking further advice.

Laika is doing okay, she met her park buddies today and got on all right this evening we passed a staffy and growled at it. A little worrying is that under her chin the hair is very damp, I think its where saliva is leaking from her mouth due to a puncture hole . If no better tomorrow will get it check out at the vets .

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Glad Laika is improving that's the most important thing(y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Whatever you do, don't accept the no liability con of a limited offer. he has already admitted liability by offering to pay the vet bill. do you have insurance for laika? if you do they will claim medical expenses direct

as it stands, they have committed a criminal offence and you can sue for damages and distress caused by the negligence of the owner allowing the attack. he needs reminding of that if he persists in trying to con you

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Seems very clued up with not admitting liability etc etc.
Makes me wonder if he's been through this more than once?
I wouldn't entertain any ideas of accepting his conditions - you might (hopefully not) have further vet or medical bills not to mention claims for distress etc.
I'd also follow up your police statement, ensure they don't let it fall to the bottom of their in-tray.
Glad to hear Laika is doing well.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
The Yellow Dog scheme promotes awareness of dogs that need space from other dogs for whatever reason. Unfortunately too many people currently are either unaware of what it means or too stupid to care.

http://www.yellowdoguk.co.uk
Not heard of that before. Will be trying this with one of ours. The only dog he tolerates now is our other one. They have never even growled at each other in 10+ years.
He used to be fine until next doors terrier had a go at him one day out of the blue, up until then they always got on well. So now hes goes into fight mode if other dogs get too close:rolleyes: fortunatley hes easily picked up...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Did you tell the police that the offending dog bit your partner too as I would have thought they'd be more interested in a dog which attacks humans?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Have only read the first two pages of this thread but...... One attack may be an aberration, or may have been provoked, two attacks is a dangerous dog/owner.

Report, report, report.

Signed

Dog owner.

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
@Kevinthecat how is Laika doing now? and any further news
Laika the wonder dog is doing great , her head wound is looking really good. The puncture holes under her chin are still leaking but the vet said this is normal. The antibiotics are being taken without too much problem . She's as perky as anything, to be honest it's us who have been knocked for six because of what happened to her.
On the legal side , police statement made and they have been in touch but we missed their call so are waiting for a further call . We have found a solicitor to take on the case but its early days.
The owner of the dog who attacked Laika has not been in touch again and has not paid the vet bill , hence the solicitor. We have his address and several text from him so hopefully he will get a letter soon which will hopefully scare him a bit .
Thank you for asking Thebig1

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Good to hear that Laika is doing well ... but how's your partner doing? Are you managing to get the tablets down him too or are you having to temp him with some favourite nibbles to get him to open his mush????:D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
really pleased that Laika is healing. from experience idiot owners that deny liability soon cave in when a solicitor and the police get in touch. good luck getting the money back hopefully with getting over the shock

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Good to hear that Laika is doing well ... but how's your partner doing? Are you managing to get the tablets down him too or are you having to temp him with some favourite nibbles to get him to open his mush????:D
Everything fine there ,he couldn't play the piano before the bite and can't play it now I'm just being bored hearing about the new drumming course he's on yawn yawn .
Seriously though , thank you for asking , he's good , like me, so aware of what might have been with Laika X X

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Poor dog, your partner did well to open the dogs mouth, staffies are renowned for locking their jaws when they get hold of something. I know a few comments have been made about the owners responsibility and rightly so but I would say a very large percentage of staffies you come across are not sociable with other dogs, I always take a wide berth if I'm walking my 2 labs, I'd hate for them to go through that and I don't think I'd be great at keeping calm with the owner

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My experience is that the Police are unable to do anything about 'dog-on-dog' attacks (their phrase). There is no law to cover it and therefore no means by which they can prosecute. If a person is involved the law is there to help. The only way to get them to pay the vets bill (if they are otherwise unwilling) would be a County Court judgement.

More important is Laika. My Greyhound was attacked by a Staffie (different circumstances & different owner attitude) and he was, like your dog, pretty distressed at the time but with injuries that had no long term effect. He healed well and was soon back to his old self or so it seemed. After a few months he became more and more wary of any other dog until he was so nervous he approached them barking. Which eventually developed into snapping at them. This took over a year to fully develop. I was at a loss as to what to do so I asked our vet who recommended a dog behaviourist. He also said, and this is the point of this long-winded story, that any small change in behaviour after a traumatic incident MUST be treated immediately. He said it will not improve & will continue to build in the dogs mind until it's a real problem. In my experience he was right. The dog was Dylan (avatar) and he was diagnosed with Lymphoma within days of my making the appointment with the behaviourist. He never got there. (Non of which was related to the attack incident).

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
My experience is that the Police are unable to do anything about 'dog-on-dog' attacks (their phrase). There is no law to cover it and therefore no means by which they can prosecute. If a person is involved the law is there to help. The only way to get them to pay the vets bill (if they are otherwise unwilling) would be a County Court judgement.

More important is Laika. My Greyhound was attacked by a Staffie (different circumstances & different owner attitude) and he was, like your dog, pretty distressed at the time but with injuries that had no long term effect. He healed well and was soon back to his old self or so it seemed. After a few months he became more and more wary of any other dog until he was so nervous he approached them barking. Which eventually developed into snapping at them. This took over a year to fully develop. I was at a loss as to what to do so I asked our vet who recommended a dog behaviourist. He also said, and this is the point of this long-winded story, that any small change in behaviour after a traumatic incident MUST be treated immediately. He said it will not improve & will continue to build in the dogs mind until it's a real problem. In my experience he was right. The dog was Dylan (avatar) and he was diagnosed with Lymphoma within days of my making the appointment with the behaviourist. He never got there. (Non of which was related to the attack incident).

My like is not for the ending. Just for the information. Makes sense the building of the fear. Just like us really. Our fears grow....into phobias.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
When Ruby our 11 month border terrier puppy was attacked by a black lab and a golden retriever ( yes who'd have thought !) she never forgot.
She got in first from then on , if a dog ran up to her , off its lead. When she was on hers. We couldn't train it out of her either.
The amount of times people said " it's ok he won't hurt your dog" when we said , " ok but she will , if yours runs at her "
The fact the dogs had knocked over our 2 year old daughter to grab Ruby , by the scruff and rump , then simultaneously shake her about. Made it worse .
Her twin brother walking at the side of her wasn't pushed over on the ground. But he was knocked. Their elder , 4 year old brother , was stood screaming. "Stop it , get them off daddy !"
I was shouting at Ralph to get them off the pup. Ralph was trying to drag the dogs off , to no avail. It was pandemonium .
We were in the fields at the back of our house. Our pup was on the lead. The black lab and golden retriever weren't. The man and woman with the dogs strolled over and said they must have thought Ruby was a rabbit ! He had a gun cocked over his arm.
The man kicked the dogs and they let go.

Ruby got a bit better with age. But we had to watch her with other dogs. Then she got dementia and forgot all about it !
Became a wiggly waggy friends with everyone dog , for her last 2/3 years ! She loves bed till she was 16 and a half.
The kids never did though.
Hope your doggy isn't affected mentally.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

Sorry to hear about Dylan, I have a 4 year old black lab bitch that is exactly the same, a German Shepherd had a go at her when she was less than a year old, she stood her ground and had a go back, no harm to either dog, but if she's on a lead she gets very nervous around dogs and people, she won't bite, but she will growl and she becomes distressed, off the lead she is better because she can move freely. I went to see a very good dog behaviourist and she gave me some tips to help manage the condition, it'll never be perfect, I can't change her personality and it does limit what we can do with her, I can't take her in a pub or sometimes even sit outside with her if there are dogs and people around so I think the yellow dog idea is very good and I'll probably invest in something.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
When Ruby our 11 month border terrier puppy was attacked by a black lab and a golden retriever ( yes who'd have thought !) she never forgot.
Ruby got a bit better with age. But we had to watch her with other dogs. Then she got dementia and forgot all about it !
Became a wiggly waggy friends with everyone dog , for her last 2/3 years ! She loves bed till she was 16 and a half.
The kids never did though.
Hope your doggy isn't affected mentally.

That should have been she lived till she was 16 and a half. She forgot but the kids never did though.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Another dog lover. :) And I thought I was the only tool on here?? (y)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Another dog lover. :) And I thought I was the only tool on here?? (y)

I had a dog attack mine twice in one week when I was walking along the canal, mine were on the lead this dog wasn't, second time he ended up in the canal!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I had a dog attack mine twice in one week when I was walking along the canal, mine were on the lead this dog wasn't, second time he ended up in the canal!
And quite right as well mate. (y) Bet that you didn't put your steel to caps on though, to give the dog a good kicking.........o_O

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
ME?? THE VERY THOUGHT!! :Eeek:................

No not piicking' mate, just don't like the thought of an animal being kicked with steel toe capped shoes, but hey, I'm just an old softie.........:cry::cry: Now, kicking a rabid human is OK. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back