laika ecovip 5-opinions please (1 Viewer)

T

tezzer22

Deleted User
hi all newby here looking for first motorhome , been looking at a laika ecovip 5 on a 2001 fiat 2.8 base looks just the ticket to me anybody got one/had one any opinions or info to share

terry

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Tezzer22 :welcome:

Don't know the Ecovip but have had a Laika X595C for just over a year now with no complaints, seems well put together.
You will not see a lot of Laika's around they are an Italian high end motorhome, hence lack of numbers and only very few dealers sell them in England.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Terry

Welcome.

We have an Ecovip 100i 2002 A Class, generally we are pleased with it, it has a generous payload, rear wheel drive, which is great getting of muddy/wet areas.

Our step was a bit dodgy, so if the one your looking at is a double step, they have too much flex, and ours as giving up the ghost, we have to have a wooden support underneath.

I think they are fairly well made, but not many dealers about, but we have got parts okay.

Regards Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

myshell

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Funster No
Hi Patsy 4

I have a Laika Ecovip 5L they are a well built Italian coachbuilt, one of the nicest motorhomes I have ever owned, the name Laika comes from the first Russian dog to be sent into space, hence if you look at the badge on the front or side of your van you will see that it resembles a greyhound type of dog. I believe that the original Laika company has now been taken over by Hymer so if you are having problems getting spares for yours it may be worth contacting Hymer. I bought mine from Barrons but they are no longer agents for them, the only agent I know of is Lowdams Leisure World.
You mentioned the double step on your van is very loose and you have to support it on a block of wood, I had the same problem with my electric step, if you have a look at the countersunk bolts (4) on either side of the steps, see if you can move the step up and down, do the bolts move as well ? if they do they are probably worn in the centre where the step has caused friction every time it has been raised or lowered, take one out and take it to an engineers merchants as a sample, buy 8 new ones they only cost about 60pence each inc. new nuts and washers, fit the new bolts and apply a liberal smearing of grease between the mating arms of the step, but be carefull not to overtighten them as this will put extra strain on the electric motor.
Regards
Phil

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tezzer22

Deleted User
hi all thanks for the reply's, all positive so far which is good, the guy at the dealers said the step is faulty but will be fixed before i take delivery , everything else looks in good order , it has a full height garage at the back which will be good as i do a lot of mountain biking

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi thanks ,

We have used Southdowns for parts before now, and our vehicle was originally sold by Southdowns.

I dont think Laika are still with Hymer anymore, a few people have said that, but dont know personally.

Our step has been looked at and the nuts tightened etc, but there is just too much flex in it. Our friend is an engineer and he is going to weld extra mounts to the chassis and we are going to change it for an ominister double step.

I think most motorhomes have there little faults, which are okay better than large ones anyhow.

Kind regards Pat

Upvote 0

madmiles

Free Member
Jun 6, 2009
Funster No
paul-madmiles

HI Terry,
Hello all, we have a laike 722 ecovip ,we have had it a year now and it has been great,
we use it most weekends. we have come across one problum with the step, the inside
the motor broke. I replaced it and no problum since.
Hope you have the fun with yours as i am with mine.

Regards Paul.:thumb::Cool:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back