Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
How many of our lovely 'Lady Funsters' drive their Motorhomes and does size matter? - Motorhome that is :Smile:

Rob

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I always drive the motorhome.

We have covered 45000 miles in 5 years, mostly in Europe.

Our motorhome is 24 foot long but with low bike rack makes it about 26 foot long.

Motorhomes, drive exactly the same as cars, and being in a higher driving position makes it so much easier.

If you can drive a car, then you can drive a motorhome.:Smile:

So, no, size does not matter:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Now and then, if I really stand my ground, force Colin's fingers to let go of the steering wheel and sulk for a while, then I am allowed a little drive.

When we had a Ford transit based van I used to drive it all the time, even going off for the weekend by myself, but he is very precious about this one, he thinks I cannot cope with the left hand drive thing. :Doh:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
No, I don't - the idea terrifies me! However, I know I must 'bite the bullet' very soon as it's not fair to expect hubby to do all the driving and also I need to be confident enough to take over if we have an emergency or hubby has an injury/illness. I had planned to go on the motorhome manoeuvre course in Newark in Feb but it looks like it has been cancelled and the other courses available don't take place until after we have left for our extended trip across Europe to Crete. So either I just get behind the wheel and do it or I put it off until we get back later this year. Some reassurance from other lady drivers might help. Re size - our mh is quite a big beast - 24' 11" length plus tow bar.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I do::bigsmile:
I started driving 7.5 ton horse boxes in my twenties down narrow twisty lanes.
When David was alive he did most of the driving although 2012 before he died I took over doing most of the driving.
I changed the van last Autumn and intended downsizing from a 7.5 to something around 6 metres but ended up with my Freetec but hey what's a metre :thumb:
As long as you know where your rear wheels are on corners and your length you won't go far wrong........oh and always remember your height I have it written on a card in metres and feet and inches.
My new van has a rear view camera that works when going forward so I can check what's behind me....great on motorways::bigsmile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Im the only one that drives our outfit, its just over 42' long. My OH refuses to drive it unless I am ill (probs with spine and trapping nerves affecting left arm and legs, already had operations and been fixed then the next bit down starts to go) and that is only to get us home if we have been away, once my painkillers kick in he gets back in the passenger seat. Its not as if he isnt capable as he used to drive HGVs' he just plain refuses - then again he would be happy if i didnt have any form of holiday home on wheels- but that aint going to happen if i can help it.

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I've only driven ours once, but then we've only been out twice ! I do intend to check out courses available round here just for the confidence thing though.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
SWMBO won't drive ours under any circumstances, even if I was taken ill or had an accident. She would rather leave it and fly/bus/walk home, from where ever it may be.
It's a nads short of 29' but drives better than our Discovery, which she loves. :Doh:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I've only driven ours once, but then we've only been out twice ! I do intend to check out [HI]courses available round here[/HI] just for the confidence thing though.
Driving your tractor courses should be available. Similar skill set:Smile:

OP
OP
Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
My wife has driven ours but would prefer not to. When she has driven it she's been fine but always looks tense and I can see that she's not enjoying the experience. She thinks size does matter and it's a bit big :winky:

On one occasion she had no choice as I had come off my bike and broken my wrist whilst cycling in the New Forest.

I tried driving the Motorhome but it was incredibly painful trying to change gear. She realised then that she had to step in or it would have been so much aggravation trying to get home and she drove it impeccably :Smile:

She's never driven it since mind :Sad:

Rob

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
How many of our lovely 'Lady Funsters' drive their Motorhomes and does size matter? - Motorhome that is :Smile:

Rob

I drive my own van and no, size does not matter. There can be very little difference in driving a 7m van or a 9m one (for the record, mine's 8m), other than in the mind. We're not talking articulated lorries here! ::bigsmile:

You soon get used to the length (whatever it is). Just use your mirrors to watch what the back is doing as you turn. After a short while you just 'know' where the back end is. It's like you can feel the length behind you as you sit in the driver's seat. :Smile:

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I drive my own van and no, size does not matter. There can be very little difference in driving a 7m van or a 9m one (for the record, mine's 8m), other than in the mind. We're not talking articulated lorries here! ::bigsmile:

You soon get used to the length (whatever it is). Just use your mirrors to watch what the back is doing as you turn. After a short while you just 'know' where the back end is. [HI]It's like you can feel the length behind you as you sit in the driver's seat. :Smile:
[/HI]
Really :winky:

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
No, I don't - the idea terrifies me! Some reassurance from other lady drivers might help. Re size - our mh is quite a big beast - 24' 11" length plus tow bar.

Hope all these replies give you a confidence boost :thumb: I drive my small camper every day but its only a Mazda Bongo :roflmto: I've not yet drummed up the nerve to have a go driving Jims 36ft RV! ::bigsmile:riving2::imoutahere:

Maybe if you will, so will I :Eeek: OMG I've said it now!

Bossman Jim used a good phrase that stuck in my head - he said the vehicle "shrinks around you" the more you drive it and I'm sure that must be true cos I went straight from driving a tiny VW Lupo to my Bongo which seemed big to me at first - and its also true the higher up you're sat makes it easier too :thumb:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
I have driven ours (Hymer 6MM long!!!) I have driven in it France, but don't like motorway driving in UK, cos all them big lorries.
Rob prefer's to drive himself, but I know I can if need be:Doh:

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
My husband wouldn't let me drive our first motorhome ... Mmm why? Guess he thought only men drove them. Then we bought a new Bessacarr 675 and we joined the Swift Club. They had a Driving course and my friend and I added our names to the list. We all went away for the weekend, the men unaware their new toys were going to be snatched away. We arrived, the course was set, and my hubbies face when he realised his Bessy was going to be sabotaged by me. I jumped in and had to do revering through cones, zig zags etc. Then laps on the race course. Ha ... my hubby's face was a picture, he looked like a traffic cop (old style middle of the road type) waving me on, arm out stopping me, flagging me down telling me to slow down. Every time in went by his face was redder. In the end he run after me waving his arms. He said I was erratic going so fast when I didn't know how to drive one??? :Eeek:

He nearly stole the loudspeaker from the Marshall. Haha needless to say he encourages me to drive the motorhome now, and it's a bigger van now. No size doesn't matter. As long as I'm on the motorways .. it's no different. Haha :thumb:

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
I drive ours (7m ) quite happily at home and abroad. When we were planning our first tour in Europe I thought I should be able to drive in case Dek couldn't for whatever reason. I did not want to be in the position that I had to drive and didn't feel confident to do so. Went on a manouevering course which increased confidence no end.
Anybody who is nervous - try it , once you start you will wonder what you were worried about

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Mirrors

Hi.
All good advice given,Mirrors. You can see where you are in relation to the road,by looking in your mirrors as stated in other posts,ie. distance from kerb/white line,good advice.Next,why not hire a van for the day of about the same size,i am sure you will not come to any harm,but if the worst was to happen,you still have your pride and joy "unscathed" at home to swan off in.... Result.
Tea Bag.
PS. If the gap you are heading for seems to be a bit narrow,it's NO GOOD!,bringing your elbows in...... Does not work.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We both drive but I do the manoeuvring, you would know why if you could see our cars. When our youngest drove into our garage wall last week ,the day after he passed his test, most peoples comment was that he takes after his Dad!

Windy55

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
1 year
I do as I am now a solo traveller! Getting used to driving but perhaps a little nervous on reversing even with a reversing camera!! Since joining this forum I have discovered there are lots of solo ladies - just need to get out and meet now and start to enjoy!

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I have nothing but admiration for all you ladies that drive your mhs:thumb:

I had a go in the Elddis a couple of years back and mistook 1st for 3rd:Doh:
so never tried again. Now that we've got the Autotrail and it's 8 metres I'm terrified at the thought of driving it and have seriously considered getting lessons from HGV places. The longer I go on without driving ours the worse it gets:cry:

Margaret

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I drive ours, makes life easier when on holiday, we do 100 miles each, so we both get a rest and don't get bored!

I used to tow our 8m caravan, so much prefer driving our Hymer 584. We had the height, width and length on little stickers on our windscreen, before it cracked and had to be replaced, so will be putting them back on before we go out again this year. Always useful to be able to have a quick glance at the figures before going under any low bridges! ::bigsmile:

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I have nothing but admiration for all you ladies that drive your mhs:thumb:

I had a go in the Elddis a couple of years back and mistook 1st for 3rd:Doh:
so never tried again. Now that we've got the Autotrail and it's 8 metres I'm terrified at the thought of driving it and have seriously considered getting lessons from HGV places. The longer I go on without driving ours the worse it gets:cry:

Margaret
I'm going to go to our local HGV training centre and ask if they'll give me a couple hours tuition in our MH

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
The one we just sold was 22 foot long and I never got to drive it as hubby insisted I was the best navigator!! :Doh: We pick up the Hymer this Saturday which is LHD and 25 feet long so I am really nervous about having a go but think it's important that I do it. :Eeek: I know Glynn will try and persuade me otherwise and insist he needs me to navigate!! I am also thinking of having a couple of hours with an HGV instructor as I am sure they will teach me some handy tips. :thumb: Like others have already said you never know when you may have to drive it and it would be so stressful to thrown in the deep end without any practice. :Smile:

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Only reversed it on a site so far ......just letting Hubby get really used to it.... But who am I kidding ....I will let him drive most of time, i prefer to assist and he can rest once he has done the outside tasks when we get there.:winky:

I prefer to concentrate on the housekeeping and catering fronts. I am also better at being a second pair of eyes when we are on the road though he does get a bit stroppy at times.:Eeek:::bigsmile:riving2::Eeek:::bigsmile:riving2:

I did drive a 7.5 ton horse box with a very dodgy clutch round the block just once and managed to deter quite a few other drivers from being on the road, hubby wasn't too good with the horse box either he took out the wall and gatepost! The horse got its own back by breaking his nose.... Very clever horse made it out to be an accident:winky:

Don't think it will be too bad driving our MH as it is auto just need to keep steady and be aware of space.....I was horrified when i followed him the other week and saw how near some of the HGVs got to him especially on roundabouts!:whatthe::Angry::whatthe:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Our lass loves driving ours and she is a great driver. Many moons ago, she was a van courier driver in that London in a gurt Merc van, so has plenty of experience :Smile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Lone traveller, I drive mine.... I wasn't going to answer as the word 'ladies' threw me.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back