La Strada Pronto

Oct 25, 2015
New Forest, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Any Pronto owners on here? We've just bought one and it would be nice to make contact with any other owners.

OP
Gary217
Oct 25, 2015
New Forest, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Andrew - we've already joined the La Strada Club thanks and they have been very welcoming and helpful. As these seem to be a not very common van (elite? :D ) I just thought I'd ask on here as well as it's good to share thoughts/issues and tips.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Yes they are elite in the UK a quality van not very common.. I nearly got one when I bought my last van..but could not squeeze a deal out of any of the German dealers. they where firm on price which is unusual in my experience:(

went for Globecar/Possl instead..very well built and more reasonably priced.

this is the one I wanted with double floor and garage:cry:

OP
Gary217
Oct 25, 2015
New Forest, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
My comment about 'elite' was just humour...getting in before someone said 'not popular' ! Time will tell how well it wears and is built - wish they'd put a less complicated bed in it though!

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Cheers, Hope you have lots of good times with your Pronto..

Not too many La Strada vans about...

Loads of stuff on the club website... a friendly bunch!

Mar 10, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
Hi there
I have a La Strada Pronto 2006, brought last year. Yep not many around but last year we drove on to a site in Ypres and exactly the same year and model was right in front of us, we had a good natter and I posted a picture of the two together onto the La Strada Facebook https://www.facebook.com/La-strada-Club-UK-497478873597958/?fref=ts
I live in Essex so keeping a good eye out for stolen van.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Thanks Duncan...a great pic!

I've had a further e mail from the La Strada Club re the stolen Pronto..

They have corrected the reg no...

It is WX 58 GLZ

Mar 10, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
We both took a double take when I drove in.
Yep received that email as well, would have been useful to know the colour of it as well.
I hope to get to at least one of the La Strada meets this year, last year none of the dates fitted in.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Yes..we've not been to any of their meets as yet either. Good to see that there are at least four La Strada owners on this forum though.

We haven't seen any others about in the far SW...

Counting the days until we set off for the Peloponnese via Croatia and Sicily...:)

Mar 10, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
Went to the Peterborough Motorhome show yesterday, only brought a reserve pitch sign and the 2016 Britstops book so cheap day. Avtex have bought out new model a small 15/16'' and a 19' both have smaller borders so should fit above travel seat just need to measure; will be buying one of those as van came with a cheap bigger Cello tv which is too big, tinny sound and useless when viewing at any angle other than straight on. I was also looking at Driveway awning, I like the Outdoor Revolution Oxygen ones but both the small (which is really all we want) and next size up aren't wide enough to slide door right open. The floor width is wide enough (300cm) bit the tunnel bit tapers at top, do you have a drive away awning ?
It was very wet at the show !! I saw two older La Stradas in the day visitors car park.

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
autosleeper
Exp
Coming down from a coachbuilt I have got a lot of sorting out when the weather picks up john

OP
Gary217
Oct 25, 2015
New Forest, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Hi - just catching up on here. Welcome to the La Strada clan John! So far so good with ours, it's well built and well thought out but our first long trip is in May so that'll be the real test as we've only done short/two day trips so far.

I noted that you van had been stolen Andrew from the La Strada club - obviously will keep a look out and I have been checking eBay/autotrader/gumtree for all new listings of either a La Strada or a Transit Camper/motorhome as they may list it like that. I do feel for you - we had our land rover stolen a year or so ago and it really does hurt.

Mar 10, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Gary, nice to hear from another Pronto owner.
For awhile I've been considering gas use abroad and was interested in seeing you were planning to use Campingaz abroad for availability and using for outside cooking. I ordered a two bottle Gaslow system last year but when I went to have it fitted they didn't have a regulator (mine isn't a bulkhead one) so couldn't do it, pleased really as they were going to fit an inside filler and there seems to be a few problems with garages allowing filling if you open up a locker.
This year planning to use a Cadac Safari Chef bbq so your suggestion sounds a great idea, few questions if you don't mind:-
Do you have one 6kg Propane cylinder and one Campinggaz ? What size is the CampingGaz ?
Do you have bulkhead regulator and do you have both bottles connected with say a manual changeover ?
Thanks

OP
Gary217
Oct 25, 2015
New Forest, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Duncan. Yep, I'm planning to use a propane and campingaz set up. As I probably said in my other post, I will use propane abroad until it runs out and I then intend to switch over to campingaz. I have bought a couple of very easy to use connectors to allow me to do this. My pronto has room for two cylinders so I will have my full size 13kg (I think) propane cylinder plus the a 907 campingaz cylinder in the locker. As I will not be able to guarantee a full propane cylinder when we leave for Europe I do need a back-up.

A lot of people have commented on the cost of campingaz, which is a valid point. However, as we are summer touring our use will be confined to cooking, occasional fridge use (we stay at places with hook up mostly) and possibly some hot water. In our old van we only had to buy two replacement campingaz cylinders in five years of fairly extensive touring and that was our only gas source, but we only really used it for cooking.

With the propane as a starter for Europe and being in warmer climes I do not anticipate using too much campingaz so the cost will not be too high hopefully and for me is worth it for the ease of use - also the cost of refillable set-ups is quite an initial investment which I have avoided. However, before people with refillable systems descend on me, I do accept my solution is probably more costly. Please note though, at this stage this is untried for me and our first test will be in june when we go to France for three weeks.

One small other advantage for us is that we have a small outdoor cooking station that uses campingaz so the cylinder will work nicely for that, although I guess I could have changed the regulator to propane.
The bits I bought screw together easily and swapping is easy and requires the big hand twist nut on the propane to be unscrewed from the propane cylinder and then simply screwed onto the new connection - less than a minute. I will however keep the campingaz connector off the campingaz cylinder until needed, just because I am very cautious with gas - as the campingaz connector has a valve this isn't really necessary but I will still do it. I have tested for gas leaks with a Screwfix detector scary and all is well.

If it is of interest then the parts I bought are

https://www.bes.co.uk/products/062a.asp

part no 21123 part way down the page, and

https://www.bes.co.uk/products/060.asp?EPBOE=

at the bottom of that page, part no 8888

I have tested all items (fridge, heater, cooker, oven) on campingaz and it coped ok with them all so there seems to be enough pressure to fire them up, and that's from a half empty smaller size cylinder (as the big one is at the back of the shed).

I've only got a picture of my smaller campingaz cylinder in the locker, and without the propane cylinder in there - and if I knew how to upload photos to here I would ! I can email it hopefully if you want.

I hope that helps - as I say I think this will work for us well but it is untested but there are other solutions to gas in Europe with refillable being very popular. If you have any other Q's let me know.

Mar 10, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
Gary that is great, thank you so much for spending the time to be so informative.
I'm really liking this idea, it seems so flexible with the choice of which bottles you take depending on gas usage and time you are away plus having the campingaz to use outside with the BBQ.
I fancy the idea of a bulkhead regulator going to a two-way manual changeover with pigtails to match whichever bottle your using even a european bottle but maybe that is over thinking it as the normal 6kg propane bottle will normally be used on the van and campingaz just in emergencies. I have a 30Mbar regulator that goes on to the bottle at the moment, bulkhead regs are 30Mbar but just checking the Campingaz regulators are 28Mbar so may be need different regs. I'm also very cautious about gas so will get advice.
With regard to expense, getting a refillable system is between £300 to £600 fitted depending on size and number of bottles, that's a lot of expensive gas you can afford to buy to spend that money plus the difficulties fitting external filler for the system. We don't use a lot of gas, generally on hookup and we tend to eat out in the evenings.
I don't know if you're a member of the La Strada Club, I've just had questions circulate regarding Tyres, Awning and Gas options where I mentioned the idea of using campingaz, will be interested to see the response.
Again many thanks, I'll probably be back with more questions !!
Duncan

OP
Gary217
Oct 25, 2015
New Forest, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Duncan - yes, we're in the La Strada Club and one of your answers will be mine as I copied my reply to Tony. Happy to chat and get questions.
I'm interested in your comments about the campingaz regulator being 28Mbar - I will look into this further...thanks!

Mar 10, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
Yes received it thanks.
Just been googling and found this:
https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/g...ing-gaz-adapter-for-901-906-and-907-cylinders
Same type of adapter as you linked to, they mention attaching to a 30 mbar regulator. Also against that product they have reviews and technical questions that are relevant. On my mac and iPad I couldn't see the answers, might be a safari browser issue, but found the questions with answers elsewhere on the site:-
https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/t...e-2004-motorcaravan-where-i-used-calor-propan
and
https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/t...-for-6-weeks-whatfts-the-best-arrangement-for

Looks a very helpful company, here is a link to all their Q&As https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/technical

Last edited:
OP
Gary217
Oct 25, 2015
New Forest, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry Duncan - I should have let you know as promised...it's an age thing!

The gas supplier in Salisbury said that the set-up I'd gone for was ok, if a bit unorthodox and would be ok safety-wise. So what I've got is for normal use the propane cylinder connected as standard. I carry a campingaz cylinder where the spare propane cylinder would sit in the gas locker. I also the two pieces/connectors that attach to my my propane connector with the campingaz connector on the other end. As I mentioned before this worked all our appliances when I tested it but I have to say that this year we have not run out of propane so I haven't had to use campingaz in ernest yet so I can't comment on how long it would last.

The only adverse comment from the supplier was on how long campingazwould last if we had heating, fridge and cooking on the go in a wild camping scenario - as we stay on sites with hook-up (and then usually use the electric fan heater to save gas) we don't really have a worry on this score.

One thing I am going to check is linked to our heating - it has stopped lighting easily (takes a dozen attempts or so), and it's going into Romsey to be looked at two weeks today. The guys think its probably dirt on the igniter and I'll check that trying it with campingaz didn't cause that. I can't see that it did as the heating (hot water) worked well for a while (on propane) but then just started playing up (again on propane). But I will ask.

Mar 10, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the update, want to get a gas bbq so need to do something on this score. We are the same normally on sites with hook-up, I'm into comfort.
Are you still a member of the la strada Club ? I've taken over the website, re-written it and just released the Members' Area plus a decent forum. Not much content at the moment but working on it.

OP
Gary217
Oct 25, 2015
New Forest, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Yes - still a member of the La Strada club and just paid my fiver, and have received the log-on details for the forum/website. As you mention, not a lot on there at the moment. It looks good and I hope it picks up some activity soon.
We have thought about a gas BBQ but can't figure out where we'd store it, so we just use a campingaz stove for outside cooking as that fits nicely into the bottom of the wardrobe.

Mar 10, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
Hope the forum does take off, trouble with forums are they are a self-fulfilling prophecy, the more posts the more people visit and the more posts are made, vice versa also applies. Only a small club and a diverse range of members so will see. If you've got time at some point to post your gas setup that would be great, I'm sure others would be interested.

Going to get a Cadac Safari Chef, seem very popular, there's only the two of us nowadays. It should fit under the long sofa according to measurements. The van came with a microwave that lives there but we've never used it so will chuck that out.

Rhino Installs
West Country Motorhomes
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians