Liv

Free Member
Jul 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford rollerteam
Exp
Hi

We are planning on going to La Rochelle/Vendée area, it will be our first time travelling in France (apart from Disney).
We would like to find a campsite or few campsites which we can park our motorhome up and walk or use public transport.
Is there any suggestions of campsites, we have two children aged 15 and 8.
We would like to be able to walk to shops, restaurants etc, go kayaking/canoeing, go to the beach (water sports is possible).
We also looked at le mans for karting on our way back home.

Thanks

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Which port are you travelling into?

With regards to La Rochelle and the Vendee area;

The Aire at Jean Moulin La Rochelle is a great one. It's part of the park & ride. Most campers/motorhomes tend to park in the far corner and the water/waste is located near the exit. It's a bit pricier than some aires, but it does include the shuttle bus into the centre/return - which is a lovely city.

Re. rest of Vendee - have you consider the islands?
Ille de Noirmoutier is nice - numerous aires - we stayed at one which was walking distance to the town/shops/marina/beach.
Ile de Re - we loved that place - we stayed on a fab site called Le Cormoran - we go back in a breath.
Ile de Oleron was ok but we found Ile de Re nicer and more going on.
Stayed at St Jon de Monts - most campsites are on outskirts, we stayed in the aires near the centre & beach, I wouldn't hurry back tbh.
La Tranche sur mer was nice. lovely beach, nice centre/cafes/shops and big supermarket within 5mins bike ride of campsite on beach - Camping Baie d'Aunis (lovely site)
Vaux sur mer - Flower camping Le Nauzan Plage - again, another lovely campsite. 5mins walk to a lovely beach. Shops/supermarket nearby and bus ride from Royan.
Most of the above are featured on my youtube channel.
If you're travelling in the summer holidays, you may need to book the campsite.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Seems a slightly odd area to go to for a first trip to France, it's all a bit too flat for me around there. :) However, the islands are worth visiting and I, being a bit of a commoner, prefer Oleron. :) It would be worth looking at the Camping-car Parks website, they have some good places by the sea such as the aire just by the bridge to the Ile de Noirmoutier - but I doubt there is any public transport around there.

You might like to consider the Gulf of Morbihan in southern Brittany. Lots of campsites and the gulf itself is very sheltered so ideal for kayaks with kids. The ACSI books will give you an idea of possible campsites although you won't get the discount now. It would be sensible to book if you are going in August. Alternatively just use Google maps to spot campsites and then follow up on the site's own website.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
€6 Peugeot Boxer van conv
Exp
50 years inc camping and caravanning (and I'm not much older than that)
We're also travelling to France with our kids, in early August for 2 weeks. Our first time in the van.

We're crossing to Calais, then have 2 nights booked in a site near Mont Saint Michel - a site we know is really nice. From there our plan is to initially tour Brittany stopping at (not booked) Aires and campsites, before heading to the Vendee. I've heard that the weather is warmer towards Vendee (vs Brittany), so that'll be a factor. But we'll see how it goes, staying where is good and moving on from the less appealing places. Also, if we (or the kids) get sick of all the driving, we'll stay in Brittany and not bother going further south.

Whilst I'm a little apprehensive about not booking and possibly staying at Aires, I'm also looking forwards to it. I just hope that we can get in somewhere each night, it's more important travelling with kids. Also, the kids enjoy the facilities of the nice sites.

We have the camper contact phone app, All the Aires book, and a few other resources.

Anyway, good luck and I hope that you enjoy your holiday.

Reactions: DBK

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
there is a free aire right in the middle of Challans - if you can plan it right then there is an 'autrefois' on 8th august, plan to get there early afternoon on the day before - its a fun day - look on the interweb for info on the event, then move onto La Rochelle (we like the Isle d'Oleron - there is even a ferry which will save a few hours driving and adds to the adventure.)

previous posters making comment about the Vendee being pretty much flat are correct, but the beaches and seaside villages are superb - use park4night and you will find lots of free overnight camping areas. St Jeans de Mont is very commercial and very popular, worth a visit but you could end up spending a lot of time on traffic but there is always a lot going on the beaches for the kids.

we will be in our static at Le Ragis in Challans - so if you get stuck for anything give me a shout - its not a bad site for the kids, swimming pools etc but its a 20 min walk into town (5 mins by car/van) but its not particularly cheap when you compare it with free parking and free use of a beach lol.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
we have just spent a week on Noirmoutier staying at some of the aires. Loved it, great for biking and lovely beaches. Loads of seafood (which we love). Noirmoutier en ille is the largest place and the aire is a short walk to the town. The other aires were all good. Lots of French people on holidays this time of year, occasional Brit but not many. If you want buses, their free on Noirmoutier. Previously have visited il de re and Oleron, liked them to, il de re tops it but is busy and packed with tourists this time of year.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Some really good tips for you Liv - well worth the annual membership fee if you haven’t already subscribed to motorhome fun!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Something the kids would like would be the animaltronic machines in Nantes including a 40ft high elephant that you can ride on. Google it for the details. The city itself is very pleasant and has lots of other attractions to visit and is probably worth a few days.

We are just leaving tomorrow morning after a very enjoyable visit. You can park in Nantes Camping in the North of the city. It is not cheap in high season but you may be able to get into the adjacent Aire, which is a lot cheaper and shares the same access road. There is a tram stop outside of the campsite and Aire and the system is quick and cheap. Buy your ticket from the campsite as you can get a 24hr pass for 4 people for a total of 10€

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Liv Not many canoeing/kayaking rivers around there. Dordogne would be the closest one, and its not too far out of the way and certainly worthy of a detour. Souillac would be a good base. Large free aire and you can organise the canoe to go how far up the river you want and time it to get back to the swimming pool with slides which was included in the canoe price on the same day. (about 8 years ago!)
The area you intend to go is flat and can be a boring drive however the beaches are to die for and owing to the ages of your kids and possible interests not a bad choice. The Dordogne might break it up a little and there is plenty to see around there.
Although Re is generally accepted as the prettiest, I too like Noirmoutier and Oleran in preference to Re. Tossing up whether to go back there in September or Germany somewhere. It will be a weather dependant choice

Enjoy

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Been to this area a few times but only once with our daughter about 7 years ago when she was 14, loved the area and the town itself. We stayed at a site a few miles from La Rochelle called something like Les Stables, great for kids as their pool area was Suberin and they had a nighttime pool party once a week with the slides and pool all lit up. The beach is about 5 mins walk and cycle route to La Rochelle plus bus close by.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just had a quick look this is the site

We didn’t book and just turned up and got a pitch no problem even though it said full online, we then didn’t have to pay a booking fee. I know this site isn’t cheap but your kids will love it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back