Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
we plan to visit la rochelle for a day or two on our way to ile de re and were wondering where the best place to stop would be . my old aires book shows 2 ,one being in a residential area in the north and the other is situated in the port area . i seem to remember someone mentioning that you could get a water taxi from here straight into the old town . is this still the case and do they allow your dog on board ? thanks garry

bobnden

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2013
barnsley
Funster No
MH
Motorhome kontiki
Exp
5yrs +
Hi, visited La Rochelle area this July. The site we stayed on was if I remember called La Rochelle 2 page 529 in 4th edition aires in France book . It cost €10 per unit per night but there is NO EHU. The site is near the railway station (with a little noise but not bad). The site provides a bus down into the harbour area for Free! Every 10 mins or so right upto midnight. You may go up and down into La Rochelle on the return pass given to you. Just get another from the office when required. Long N46 deg 09.134' W001deg 08.390'. Hopes this helps, the boat if you stay on La Rochelle2 is free from the harbour to the next bay. La Rochelle is beautiful. It does take big motorhomes. La Rochelle 1 (same info page) is over the bay from La Rochelle 2 dogs are allowed on boats

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Go to the La Rochelle Park and Ride Aires. We went there, and the park and ride ticket is included in the Aires price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
we were there 1n May, stayed at Les Minimees marina, bars and restraunts and ferry boat every 1/2 hour to la Rochelle old town. also Aytre aire is lovely secluded near beach and Carrfours

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
we stayed in the park and ride aire (yelo) a few weeks ago, was spot on and we used the free bus to town 10 mins max.
recomendation for a restaurant called Pass Port on the main front, only place we ate but it was lovely mmmmmm my mouth is watering again thinking about it

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Avenue Jean Moulin Park n Relais (Ride) aire, cost us 10.50 Euros in April, including Bus ticket to town centre and back. You have to pay at the Acqueil (Welcome) booth and give your MH registration number to get your bus ticket and exit barrier pass. The MH parking area is grassy, whereas cars park on gravel. Service point with water tap is included in the fee. No entry on Sunday, but you can get out.

Google Maps: 46.153836, -1.140761

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks guys for the really helpfull info , especially now that i have discovered that the original aire i was thinking of staying at down at the port, will probably be either closed or taken over by a sailing regatta thing in the coming weeks !. so am i right in thinking, that the park and ride aires ticket gives you a 24h stay as well as a bus ticket into town ? oops nearly forgot, can you take the dog on the bus as well ?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Yes, 24 hours' stay per 10.50 Euros at the P&R. I don't know whether pooches are permitted on the bus or not. The company is Yelo Bus - maybe they have a website?

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks mate i will look them up , otherwise, its means my other half going on the bus [recovering from opp so walking distance is a bit limited ] and me and the dog walking down to the old town to meet her !

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Aire: LA ROCHELLE (3*)
ADDRESS: PLACE JEAN MOULIN

TEL:05 46 30 34 00 FAX:

EMAIL: transports@cda-larochelle.org

TYPE OF AIRE: MUNICIPAL
FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN / TOILETS / RUBBISH

PRICES/ RATES:

PARKING: 5€ SERVICES: FREE

OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR

GPS COORDS: N46.15257 W01.13989

DIRECTIONS: Exit N137 @ Jcn with D108 & take AVE J.P.SARTRE towards LA ROCHELLE. At 1st roundabout turn RIGHT into AVE J.MOULIN & then LEFT into AIRE & Car park.

SITE DESCRIPTION: The Aire in La Rochelle is in the large Visitors' car park (600 marked spaces) on the edge of town with a free shuttle bus into the centre, spaces on the edge having some shade. Access is via automatic barriers, which are closed between 2100 -- 0600 & all day Sunday. There is an office in the car park where you pay the parking fee & get your shuttle tickets -- the bus also picks up from here. No shops or services near to parking. Artisanal services with a platform drain are modern & easily accessed.

REVIEW

1) The location is a bit remote from the centre but quite quiet, & the charge is the same for either a few hours or 24. Exit is possible at any time via the magnetic card issued when paying. Parking is guarded & very quiet at night, only a little road noise. The free buses run every 10 mins into the centre -- very efficient. Interesting city for a visit.

2) CAMPING CAR MAGAZINE RECOMMENDED : "This is a large car park that also encompasses an aire de service -- not too expensive yet also practical & next to large open spaces Shuttle buses run continuously into the city centre."

Broken Link Removed
LA ROCHELLE
Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks again everyone ,just one last point on the subject , as i cant seem to find any further info on whether dogs are allowed on the free bus or not from this aire ,has anybody actually walked it either to or from the old town /port . if so can you remember approx how far or how long it took them?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back