Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
Are any of you Funsters at La Azohia at the moment and can give me an update on the camping situation.
We were down at the Rambla by the church last time but the local Police were clearing the MoHos off at the time.
We camped up down the road next to the Spa supermarket which was fine. There wasn't any fresh water at either and we had to drive up to a BP garage about 12k away . Is this still the case or does anyone know of another source? We are aware of a manhole at each for black waste.
We will of course fill up on route and hope to be there over Christmas. May see some of you there.
Thanks

Reactions: SMB
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Drinking water at Isla Plana, opposite Covirán.

OP
OP
Gloombusters

Gloombusters

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
Thanks for info about purchasing but need 95 litres and admittedly its not expensive but a lot of bottles to pour in the tank for showering. Just a tip I heard once that there is too much calcium in bottled water in your tank and it furs up the boiler etc. ??

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
The police have never been keen on the vehicles being parked at La Azohia for as long as I can remember and we started going to the area in the late nineties and as @BreweryDave said there are plenty Aires and campsites so why would anyone want to park on a dusty piece of ground that has no facilities.
On the mountain road between Isla Plana and Cartagena we have seen motorhomes emptying their toilet cassettes in lay-bys
I’ve nothing against wild camping but freeloading is another matter altogether.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Are any of you Funsters at La Azohia at the moment and can give me an update on the camping situation.
We were down at the Rambla by the church last time but the local Police were clearing the MoHos off at the time.
We camped up down the road next to the Spa supermarket which was fine. There wasn't any fresh water at either and we had to drive up to a BP garage about 12k away . Is this still the case or does anyone know of another source? We are aware of a manhole at each for black waste.
We will of course fill up on route and hope to be there over Christmas. May see some of you there.
Thanks
Are you allowed to empty toilet waste down street manholes ?

OP
OP
Gloombusters

Gloombusters

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
Brewerydaves comments I find personally offensive as we are not trying to freeload and never have done! We are stopping by at an aire on the way down to pay for our water and gas and always have done. We merely asked a simple question where we could get water. One should not make personal assumptions about other campers. We could well do without such people upsetting respectable rule abiding members who always respect the rules. Now, have a merry christmas and no more nasty comments please.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Brewerydaves comments I find personally offensive as we are not trying to freeload and never have done! We are stopping by at an aire on the way down to pay for our water and gas and always have done. We merely asked a simple question where we could get water. One should not make personal assumptions about other campers. We could well do without such people upsetting respectable rule abiding members who always respect the rules. Now, have a merry christmas and no more nasty comments please.
That's funny, your post clearly asked about camping at La Azohia, I am also of the opinion that there are a lot of nice views spoilt by inconsiderate parking for weeks on end.

Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Hello all planning on traveling down into Spain March April has any body got any nice sites really don't mind paying nice beach area

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
That's funny, your post clearly asked about camping at La Azohia, I am also of the opinion that there are a lot of nice views spoilt by inconsiderate parking for weeks on end.
"Freeloading" in my opinion is both inconsiderate and selfish. We all agree that the facilities in countries such as France, Spain and Portugal etc are why it is such a popular place to go. So why not use them?
We have a house in Murcia as well as being motorhomers and the "moving on" has been a real issue. Why would anyone want to stop with the possibility of being challenged by the police and probably upset local residents, it is beyond understanding.
Those that feel "freeloading" is acceptable lack the understanding that "paying your way" assists the local economy in providing the facilities we so lack in the UK.
It's just a matter of fairness and consideration. When you travel you should always consider where your £/€s will be spent to spread a little more wealth into the local economy.
Or am I missing something?

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
100% wiv brewery dave... At Villasol there is a large lay by which gets chock a block with vans ... They don't stop for an overnight & there for days . So... where do they dump there stuff etc ... It looks bad in my opinion where there are sites close by .... Same outside la colina Albir site ... Sorry ... I just don't get it . It's no wonder vans get moved on etc etc etc ...
just saying

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
"Freeloading" in my opinion is both inconsiderate and selfish. We all agree that the facilities in countries such as France, Spain and Portugal etc are why it is such a popular place to go. So why not use them?
We have a house in Murcia as well as being motorhomers and the "moving on" has been a real issue. Why would anyone want to stop with the possibility of being challenged by the police and probably upset local residents, it is beyond understanding.
Those that feel "freeloading" is acceptable lack the understanding that "paying your way" assists the local economy in providing the facilities we so lack in the UK.
It's just a matter of fairness and consideration. When you travel you should always consider where your £/€s will be spent to spread a little more wealth into the local economy.
Or am I missing something?
I will be spending nearly 4 Months in Spain, I do not stock up with UK food and drink before going, so I my hard earned is going into the Spanish economy, does it really matter if I don't give a large chunk to some campsite that has all the facilities that I don't need?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Hmm mm so you don't need to fill with fresh water from a tap or dump your black and grey properly and not down some manhole on the street???
These services all have to be paid for by someone :xwink:

I'm not averse to occasional nights wild camping in a nice spot for as long as my on board facilities allow, but not freeloading for months on end and always use a site or aire to service the van
The fact that plod are always having to move folk on speaks for itself IMHO :xThumb:

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Are you allowed to empty toilet waste down street manholes ?

Officially NO!
Public health issues, and not to mention the poor sewage maintenance workforce who have to climb down these manholes, most of which will be covered by excretions and worse!
(How would we feel if overseas visitors started doing it here?)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
'freeloading' seems quite polite to me.. we used to call people like this a p*nce...

Not at all surprised that police are moving them on, we used to have an apartment close to the coast near Roda, the side streets looked like a massive gypsy site at times much to the locals annoyance.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
A good few years ago we bought a large Frankia A class the previous owners took delight in telling us that they went to Spain for 6months each year and never paid for a single nights camping but parked in streets or waste ground.
We asked what they did with their grey and black waste they said they always found somewhere to dispose of it:Eeek:. They said they only ever paid for fuel and any food they might need.
As others have said its not our idea of camping waiting for the police to move you on ...don’t get me wrong we are not averse to wilding in the correct circumstances and when we have full water and empty waste tanks.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
They are for surface water not sewage,,,BUSBY,,
that depends on what they are .in spain look for saneimento markings . think i spelt that right .
escosa or something in portugal .
in uk sewage are usually marked .
but if its a rainwater road side drain then dont tip in it .
but usually in spain etc if you ask at fuel stations they usually let you use theirs etc . or visit a local sewage works they can be very obliging .
very often surface water drains go to streams and rivers not always into the works .

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
OK then, what's the answer? People have be free camping all around the Spanish coast for many years and I cannot see it ending. How many new Aires have appeared recently? Not a lot. Certain areas have been made off limits which have only made the areas that tolerant parking even more popular.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
OK then, what's the answer? People have be free camping all around the Spanish coast for many years and I cannot see it ending. How many new Aires have appeared recently? Not a lot. Certain areas have been made off limits which have only made the areas that tolerant parking even more popular.

IMO the answer is to mainly use Camping sites - after all that is what they exist for!

By all means spend a few nights here & there UNOBSTRUSIVELY "wild camping" but many many places are becoming plagued with motorhomers parking on waste ground or car parks - even aires (in full view of houses and other residences) for weeks or even months on end!!

Not acceptable!!:xsad: again IMO of course!! :cautious::xwink:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
IMO the answer is to mainly use Camping sites - after all that is what they exist for!

By all means spend a few nights here & there UNOBSTRUSIVELY "wild camping" but many many places are becoming plagued with motorhomers parking on waste ground or car parks - even aires (in full view of houses and other residences) for weeks or even months on end!!

Not acceptable!!:xsad: again IMO of course!! :cautious::xwink:

When i was in Benicasim this year i noticed on the camper park at Castelon Airfield a German van complete with trailer,smart car and bikes parked up in the same place for 9 weeks. Nowhere to empty loo,,nowhere for grey waste and the only water was across the road on the seafront at a push button drinking water point..Probably the reason he could afford a £70 k van and i am running a sub £20k one. Mind you i bet i didn't smell like him,,,BUSBY:xgrin:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Well after reading this lot I am seriously thinking of not going to Spain. It sounds like it is packed with British Vans and causing as much hoo-haa as a gypsy park-up does here. If I am in danger of being hauled over by the Guardia Civile for some infringement of something of which I know nothing, it will be best avoided. I wanted to drive to Grenada and then stop near and visit Gibraltar. I know nothing about the position of wildcamping overnight there but it sounds distinctly dodgy. Sites might be difficult and expensive especially as I do not know where they are or how to find them at short notice. Whitby/ Scarborough , sounds better and probably cheaper. We were intending to go very shortly as soon as the booking was available, but maybe not, just a bit of France instead. At least there are aires to be found in the books. Last time I was down to Spain I was not impressed by Franco's Tricorne hat thugs leaning on corners with machine guns and big sticks. Sounds like it might be the same, even Barcelona looked good until a few weeks ago.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Well after reading this lot I am seriously thinking of not going to Spain. It sounds like it is packed with British Vans and causing as much hoo-haa as a gypsy park-up does here. If I am in danger of being hauled over by the Guardia Civile for some infringement of something of which I know nothing, it will be best avoided. I wanted to drive to Grenada and then stop near and visit Gibraltar. I know nothing about the position of wildcamping overnight there but it sounds distinctly dodgy. Sites might be difficult and expensive especially as I do not know where they are or how to find them at short notice. Whitby/ Scarborough , sounds better and probably cheaper. We were intending to go very shortly as soon as the booking was available, but maybe not, just a bit of France instead. At least there are aires to be found in the books. Last time I was down to Spain I was not impressed by Franco's Tricorne hat thugs leaning on corners with machine guns and big sticks. Sounds like it might be the same, even Barcelona looked good until a few weeks ago.
Do not let people talk you out of Winter in Spain, lots of places where motorhomes park are dead zones out of season and if it wasn't for motorhomers they would be a real ghost town. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back