Kwikfit .. still at it.......... (1 Viewer)

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I thought I would update this
I checked what is legal to repair and what is not..
On my width tyre it cannot be repaired legally if the puncture is within 72mm of the edge.. Thinking I had wronged the firm I went out and actually measured where the puncture occured.. Close on to 85mm from the edge, so all I said stands !
Are those figures right john , bloody nearly 3.5 inches martin

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
A few years ago I took my car in for two new tyres on the front. The receptionist asked if I would like the tracking checked as it was free. I said yes, if it’s free.

Later they presented me with a bill for adjusting the tracking. I refused to pay as they had never asked me if I wanted it done and, as the car was in my line of sight the whole time I knew they had neither adjusted, or even tested, the tracking.

When I received the inevitable follow up e-mail, “how did we do”, I told them straight. I then had a follow up ‘phone call from HQ apologising and offering me a voucher for later use. When I said that I would never return to that branch they said “please do, that manager is no longer there”.

True or not I never found out.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
My sister in law had her brake pads changed at our local KF along with changing the brake fluid.

On her drive home, whilst on the Motorway her brakes failed....... the (probably) 14yr old chief technician had left the brake bleed connector open and it had lost all its brake fluid on her drive home.

Thankfully she managed to get to a stop safely.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Delivering takeaway food gets you the pleasure of access to kwik fits canteen room where this months inspirational posters are hung telling the fitters what items to push this month , suggestions of how to sell and details of their bonus incentives.

It comes direct from the top

Always has been a rip off company ...been on watchdog numerous times

Wouldn't take a car near the chancers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Years ago they told me the discs on my van were at the end of their life. When I asked how many miles of life left in them the lying scrote said “200 miles “. Strange to relate the same discs were still in use 4 years later.
It’s pretty standard

I had an iveco dailly van , it was 2 years old with 90k on so under warranty , the brake warning light came on so I gingerly drove it to them

20 minutes later, needs discs and pads on the back , we can do it this afternoon for £700 fitted

thanks but no thanks , drove it round to my mechanic , they had a lip on but were nowhere near worn out so he took the lip off , fitted new pads and charged me £80

2 years later when they did need discs he did it for under half what they wanted

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
they rely on company cars when my son was on sky they replaced all four discs and pads on a 9month old van van had done 14000 miles

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Delivering takeaway food gets you the pleasure of access to kwik fits canteen room where this months inspirational posters are hung telling the fitters what items to push this month , suggestions of how to sell and details of their bonus incentives.

It comes direct from the top

Always has been a rip off company ...been on watchdog numerous times

Wouldn't take a car near the chancers
Used to be similar in Halfords bait rooms when I was repairing garage equipment. :(

Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
And Kwik fit didn't do this one ! Only took an hour, stayed on for a few months, but when needs must. ::bigsmile:
32_hEtCg.jpeg

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Kwikfit got the contract for some of my old company cars. They tried to force me to exchange one front tyre with 3mm tread and a puncture and not change the other side that had also done 45,000 miles! But to be fair it all depends on the branch manager. They also know pre buy a contract with large companies and so it is in their financial interest NOT to change your tyres. The more tyres they replace the less profit left in the pot.

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Had a recall letter from Ford. Her Tourneo needs a fuse changed. Letter said 10 minutes, covid safe the tech won't even need the key.

Late November, phoned Trust Ford to book.

"Ah, let me check some details. I see the MOT is due in January. Would you like to book that in?"

No.

"Do you know the current mileage sir?"

I know where this is going... (Service). No.

Ok, all booked.

Go in. "Can I take the key please sir?"

Why?

"We have to get it into the workshop for a heath check"

Have you b0llocks, change the fuse I've got to get to work.

"I'll have to check with the workshop manager if you're going to refuse."

Off you go.

Come back not happy and a "tech" shuffled out of the workshop and did it. He was about to go back in with my key to write up the paperwork as well. No, I'm off.

More trying to create work. Swines.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Took my bike to local tyre garage with puncture, nail in centre of tread, almost a new tyre.
Tyre fitter said he couldn't repair it, I told him he could but he said they had a policy of not repairing motorcycle tyres.

Okay, put new tyre on and I'll take old tyre home with me....

He then said they had a policy of not letting customers have their tyres back !!

Well, he got short shrift from me, I left with him doing neither, took to next place no trouble repairing puncture.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Took my bike to local tyre garage with puncture, nail in centre of tread, almost a new tyre.
Tyre fitter said he couldn't repair it, I told him he could but he said they had a policy of not repairing motorcycle tyres.

Okay, put new tyre on and I'll take old tyre home with me....

He then said they had a policy of not letting customers have their tyres back !!

Well, he got short shrift from me, I left with him doing neither, took to next place no trouble repairing puncture.
They cannot retain the tyre unless you request it.. Basically it is theft !

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
You can also add Halfords and National Tyres to the same wall of shame.
It's amazing that nearly all customers at Halfords require unplanned replacement shock absorber work when the vehicle disappears onto the ramps.
National Tyres quoted me a full£100 more for a 215/70 -15 Camper tyre, the independent local got the sale.
Mike

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
With 2020 still trying its hardest to shit on one and all I got a puncture this morning
Usual place shut, so the next closest was Kwikfit
They had a look , saw it was a nail about 50mm from the edge
I noticed the manager came out looked at the tyre and then went in the office and on his computer
Fitter took the wheel off took the tyre off and then the manager wandered over, pointed at it and said the puncture was too close to the edge, but they did have the size in stock
I said I wanted it repaired,, nope.. Well put it back on then.. He walked off in a huff
Fitter refitted the tyre, then manager came out and said that will be £15
I think you can work out what happened from there !!
Lets just say words were exchanged, but money was not...............

Went over the other side of town and got it fixed no problem
It is about time Kwikfit learnt that trying to rip people off will eventually come back and bite them VERY hard
( Local one has had lord knows how many mot testers lose their ticket because of complaints to VOSA about sharp practice )
I had a similar or should I say worse experience in Spain at ATS euromaster.

Ive usually found Kwik Fit here in the Uk to be okay.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
There agreements with lease company's vary
We had contract with lease company that tyres were changed at 3mm
Had same argument with Kwick Fit every time they needed changed to get them to do them
I had laminated copy of letter from lease company kept in car
Same as others local independent is spot on

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back