Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
I'm thinking of booking a cheap flight to kos, but never having been before I don't know which area to base myself in. Anyone been? I'm looking for an area with access to some mountain walks, easy biking, a scuba school and nice trails for jogging. Thanks

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I've been to Kos town and Kardamaina on the south coast.
The northern coast from Kos town is ideal for easy biking and jogging. Flat fairly quiet roads but with beaches and shops along the way. You also have the main harbour in the town so probably better access to dive boats.
Things along the south coast are more hotel based.
The mountains are sort of midway đź‘Ť

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm thinking of booking a cheap flight to kos, but never having been before I don't know which area to base myself in. Anyone been? I'm looking for an area with access to some mountain walks, easy biking, a scuba school and nice trails for jogging. Thanks

I know the island, but from years ago, until we transitted from the airport to Kalymnos/Patmos 3 years ago.

I think you are asking a lot to combine all those desires in one place. You may have to think about having transport - car/scooter. Or locating ourselves for one week in 2 different places.

It is a very touristy island and while you can find some peace and quiet in the hill villages the coastal areas are - shall we say 'busy'?

I know the Greek islands well having island hopped 40 years ago and sailed the Aegean in my boat for 30 years.

For what you want I would recommend Samos, which you might find a flight direct to - we are flying there direct tomorrow morning as it happens, but this time just to catch a ferry to Patmos where our MH has been parked for a few weeks. But I have spent time there and walking in the hills is different from other islands because it is quite green, but also the Flora changes from heathland to deciduous to sub-tropical with stream valleys.

If no direct flights to Samos there is a catamaran which connects Kos to Samos and also a slower ferry interested I have all the websites, schedules.

I cannot advise on SCUBA anywhere.

A good island for mountain walking is Amorgos but to get there you need to fly to Athens and take a ferry.

I would be happy to give more advice but will basically out of contact from this evening till realistically sometime on Sat.

Geoff

Also look at flying to Kalamata in the S. Peloponnese - you might find all you want around there. We will be there with the MH in about 3 weeks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back