Knowledge found wanting, need a new leisure battery.... (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I know there have been a few threads recently about leisure batteries, but, we need a new battery and after looking online for what is available, I find technology has far surpassed what I know.
So, we currently have I x 110ah lead acid leisure battery, 120 watt solar panel with Victron MPPT 75/15 controller.
It's an old van and has an Amperor 18a 3 stage charger ( mv3/180)
While just the one battery has performed well for us all through the year with no hook up when away, the battery is starting to fail, and as stated above, we need a new one.
I am considering a Platinum 100ah AGM battery ( NCC class A) and I know AGM batteries have been getting bad press lately.
So, will my charger be compatible with an AGM battery and if not, what would I need?

Here's a link to the charger.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Scrub that. Just did a load of research on AGM and Gel batteries and they didn't come out well in tests, so, I've ordered a Varta LFD90, might even get a second one if this one works as well as reviews say it does.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I doubt the emperor charge is suitable anyway.
They've been around a lot longer than AGM batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Scrub that. Just did a load of research on AGM and Gel batteries and they didn't come out well in tests, so, I've ordered a Varta LFD90, might even get a second one if this one works as well as reviews say it does.
Real world experience with Gel batteries may contradict whatever you have read as quite a few people on here have had good service for many years from Gel batteries me included.

Martin

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
In general even with a suitable charger it is unlikely and AGM will give you any more amps for your buck. The best value for money is a flooded battery, unless you have worries about spillage when a gel would be appropriate. One of the few applications I have seen for AGM where they outperform others are the lightweight RED Flash batteries many yachts use for engine starting. They are much smaller and lighter than an equivalent wet or gel battery but will give the big CCA output needed for starting.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Real world experience with Gel batteries may contradict whatever you have read as quite a few people on here have had good service for many years from Gel batteries me included.

Martin
Another fan of Gel's and in my experience work out far cheaper than wet cells due to their very long life.
The OP didn't have much choice as I think his charger is only suitable for wet cells.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I think your right, my charger although recently replaced ( by previous owner) will only cope with older technology.
I have an AGM battery in my LawnMower, it only lasted 2 years even though it had the correct output alternator and was bench charged with a suitable charger regularly.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think your right, my charger although recently replaced ( by previous owner) will only cope with older technology.
I have an AGM battery in my LawnMower, it only lasted 2 years even though it had the correct output alternator and was bench charged with a suitable charger regularly.
I wouldn't lump AGM and Gel in the same category though, Gel are far superior in my view and as Lenny say they are cost effective over their lifetime.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
AGM's have higher acceptance rates, ie you can fill them quicker. They also are more comfortable with high discharges that accompany inverter use on a low amp battery bank. They are however more susceptible to inaccurate charging regimes and poor maintenance. ( Not allowing frequent periods of incomplete charging that is a feature of solar for example)
The quality of the manufacture is a key issue too.
I have had several AGM battery banks and my boat when sold had an 1800 amp bank that was 5 years old and still tested at 96% capacity, and my RV was sold with a bank of 3 years age.
I think that Gel is probably more resistant to abuse, but AGMs give you some extra benifit if you are prepared to pay for them and care for them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back