LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
We have just bought a German van a new LHD Hymer Exsis i 698 and saved a lot of money however the cost was not insignificant and as Hymer state that they have a Europe wide dealer network that can service their vehicles, if the dealers they authorise will not carry out work for warranty or other purposes they need to be sorted out by Hymer or the makers.
I was recently out on a trip to Cambridgeshire when our water pump failed I contacted Travel World and asked if I called in could they take a look when I told them it was imported and under warranty they told me that I would have to wait at least six weeks to get anything done and were unable to assist not even giving me any advice as to what the problem may have been..
I luckily managed to sort it out myself in the end but I did feel that they were total unhelpful and I will be reporting to Hymer with my feelings over this matter.
Let us know the Hymer response. Interested to know!!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We have just bought a German van a new LHD Hymer Exsis i 698 and saved a lot of money however the cost was not insignificant and as Hymer state that they have a Europe wide dealer network that can service their vehicles, if the dealers they authorise will not carry out work for warranty or other purposes they need to be sorted out by Hymer or the makers.
I was recently out on a trip to Cambridgeshire when our water pump failed I contacted Travel World and asked if I called in could they take a look when I told them it was imported and under warranty they told me that I would have to wait at least six weeks to get anything done and were unable to assist not even giving me any advice as to what the problem may have been..
I luckily managed to sort it out myself in the end but I did feel that they were total unhelpful and I will be reporting to Hymer with my feelings over this matter.

there is a decent dealer on south coast happy to work on imported Hymer as two of my friends use them ( @lennyhb being one) ..there are others ring around!

one of the reasons we are considering Hymer. Anyone had problems with an imported Carthago?

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
maybe if they stopped tucking everyone up, treating us like mugs, charging 30% + more for the same vans they would get more business!:rolleyes:
Have you compared the prices quoted by Carthago on their website in Euros and GBP? It is not all down to the dealers, 10% discount offered by both German and UK dealer off list price quoted by Carthago for the spec I want £62500 @.75 pence per euro from Germany or £71000 from UK dealer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have you compared the prices quoted by Carthago on their website in Euros and GBP? It is not all down to the dealers, 10% discount offered by both German and UK dealer off list price quoted by Carthago for the spec I want £62500 @.75 pence per euro from Germany or £71000 from UK dealer.

you need to shop around more:)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
there is a decent dealer on south coast happy to work on imported Hymer as two of my friends use them ( @lennyhb being one) ..there are others ring around!

one of the reasons we are considering Hymer. Anyone had problems with an imported Carthago?
Isn't that Southdowns?
The Op said they would not work on his van!

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
you need to shop around more:)
Any tips on where to look in, Aachen to Lake Constance is the plan for the spring trip .Bike rally in Dortmund next August/September so Dusseldorf Salon is on the cards if we are not sorted by then.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
P

I intend to, not finished yet. A tour around Germany on the bike is on the cards for spring next year.

I have done a little homework but as yet not sure what we want. I 138 (under consideration) have seen it for a ludicrous £25 k more here, but a UK dealer that @Robert Clark used was only £5k more. Another £1600? For RHD. I stick with german market as PX far easier, plus £5k better in my pocket for what amounts to an awayday:)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I have done a little homework but as yet not sure what we want. I 138 (under consideration) have seen it for a ludicrous £25 k more here, but a UK dealer that @Robert Clark used was only £5k more. Another £1600? For RHD. I stick with german market as PX far easier, plus £5k better in my pocket for what amounts to an awayday:)
But for those who don't want the hassle of importing, 20% off a RHD van from a UK dealer is not to be sniffed at, compared with paying list price from another dealer for an identical van
Then you could have lots of away days

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
As others have said, contact Knaus and tell them to instruct their agent to carry out the work, you MUST not be discriminated against by any delay compared to a UK purchaser. Any deviation from this is a clear breach of EU consumer protection legislation and could land Knaus and their agent with a hefty fine.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Any tips on where to look in, Aachen to Lake Constance is the plan for the spring trip .Bike rally in Dortmund next August/September so Dusseldorf Salon is on the cards if we are not sorted by then.

I'm talking to Urbano in Belgium and a German dealer I use who ate neither hymer of Cathargo but work closely with other dealers. As I said early days...

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Interesting read, perhaps a little more information is needed before they slate the dealer here. The dealer could argue that it's not a uk spec vehicle so do not have the authorisation/training to carry out the checks and service, I know this can sometimes happen with cars and commercial vehicles.

At the end of the day you chose to spend your money outside the uk (everyone has their reasons) so you can't moan when you have to take it back to Europe for your check up and warranty. I think it's narrow minded to believe that companies shouldn't make money when selling MH's. Although not in the motorhome industry I have European competition on new parts, sometimes we just can't compete on price but when it comes to service/aftercare/support and warranty we are second to none, that's what customers pay for, This isn't isolated to MH's this is all grey/parallel imported products with European warranties.

What incentive does that dealer have to carry out any work on that vehicle? By carrying out that check they could be lining themselves up for warranty claims in future! I think it would have been short sighted on the dealers behalf to take your money now then refuse warranty at a later date, at least you know where you stand from the beginning.

Regardless of the OP wanting to pay, it's about paying to keep a warranty in place for a vehicle that wasn't purchased at that dealership. The dealership has the right to refuse.Perhaps the dealer doesn't have the right to refuse a warranty claim but I'm guessing he has the right to refuse to service/ check a vehicle?

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I think this is a mad situation. Needs clarification by knaus though on who you can use.
As for people being criticised for buying the best deal ... how does that work? They are buying the same van for often a lot less money with the same warranty.
The issue here just seems to be a matter of who can be authorised to do the checks. A simple answer from knaus should sort it. If we were buying a new Van we would certainly be looking abroad first

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I see that the OP first posted this in March last year. It would be interesting to hear what happened. Coincidentally we are buying from a non local dealer (UK) and have factored in yearly visits to their part of the country.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
But for those who don't want the hassle of importing, 20% off a RHD van from a UK dealer is not to be sniffed at, compared with paying list price from another dealer for an identical van
Then you could have lots of away days

There is no hassle it's straighforward...harder thinking about then doing..
Considering the savings to be made its a no brainer. And as explained you are entering a much bigger, comparative market.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Interesting read, perhaps a little more information is needed before they slate the dealer here. The dealer could argue that it's not a uk spec vehicle so do not have the authorisation/training to carry out the checks and service, I know this can sometimes happen with cars and commercial vehicles.

At the end of the day you chose to spend your money outside the uk (everyone has their reasons) so you can't moan when you have to take it back to Europe for your check up and warranty. I think it's narrow minded to believe that companies shouldn't make money when selling MH's. Although not in the motorhome industry I have European competition on new parts, sometimes we just can't compete on price but when it comes to service/aftercare/support and warranty we are second to none, that's what customers pay for, This isn't isolated to MH's this is all grey/parallel imported products with European warranties.

What incentive does that dealer have to carry out any work on that vehicle? By carrying out that check they could be lining themselves up for warranty claims in future! I think it would have been short sighted on the dealers behalf to take your money now then refuse warranty at a later date, at least you know where you stand from the beginning.

Regardless of the OP wanting to pay, it's about paying to keep a warranty in place for a vehicle that wasn't purchased at that dealership. The dealership has the right to refuse.Perhaps the dealer doesn't have the right to refuse a warranty claim but I'm guessing he has the right to refuse to service/ check a vehicle?

FYI we are IN the EU so a pan European warranty works both ways? UK dealers cant claim their vans comes with pan European warranty then refuse to work on a European van? So how is it yuu have no problem with servicing the base vehicle and its warrenty then.....do you think a german dealer would not work on a UK supplied van? now they are more principled.

For a start they are all european vans!lol And its a breach of EU law...... Nothing but restrictive practice, totally illegal, trying to scare consumers into buying here

Also the vans are mostly near identical except for the steering wheel so that argument don't wash either:). The majority not handed? so caravan door still on the wrong side for UK traffic...

Last edited:

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588

I would correct you on two things here, there is no such thing as a grey / parallel import within the EU, and the dealer in their capacity as the manufacturers agent has to undertake the work - if they refuse Knaus should remove their franchise. Anything else is in breach of EU consumer protection legislation and will, as I said earlier land them with a hefty fine. After speaking to Knaus I would be straight on to your local trading standards - and expect lots of back peddling from dealer.

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Throughout my life I have bought branded goods from all over the world. Also I have bought motor vehicals from all over the country getting the best deal. If I have had problems with any of my purchases I have taken them back to a registered dealer for that item.
So if you break down every component fitted to and in a MH it should have a manufacturer, therefore it should have a registered dealer who should be responsible for any repairs whilst still under Warranty. You should not be expected to take a £5000 camera back to Dubi because you bought it at the Airport, because that was the best deal.
The body is manufactured by Knaus so you should be able to take it to a Knaus registered dealer for a hab-check to maintain the warranty after paying their fee. If it fails on anything which is part of the body and it is still within warranty it should be fixed by the registered dealer.
The manufacture of MH's is NOT rocket science and doesn't require a Rocket Scientist to repair it so why do the dealers try and act like the Gestapo!! It's about time they moved away from their Horse dealing image.
Simples.
Colin

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I see that the OP first posted this in March last year. It would be interesting to hear what happened. Coincidentally we are buying from a non local dealer (UK) and have factored in yearly visits to their part of the country.

Oops your right but they were still around in late July?
@Twizzlefrillypants maybe you can give us an update

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Reading some of the comments above I would of thought that the expectation is to buy from a DEALER but carry on as if they have made you a one off vehicle that no one else can touch. Why would anyone think that this is either fair or sensible?
Until we as a MH community treat the awkward or otherwise poor dealers the way they deserve, WE as customers are going to be shafted forever.
If the warranty rates for the dealer are too low to make a profit, the dealer should make this clear to anyone who walks in the door that the screen price does subsidise the workshop! Any dealer operating like this is beyond contempt and should be avoided. The dealer without doubt signed a contract with the manufacturer. Are they really not able to prove what the labour rate needs to be to run THEIR business? I think they cry wolf and expect the customer to accept this without question.
Yes the buyers contract is with the supplying dealer but warranty work is charged to the manufacturer.
If car dealers operated in this way, they would never sell anything. WHY should we be treated any differently just because it's the leisure industry.
Rant over

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
So if I buy a Motorhome say Cartago from my local dealer in Belgium
15 km from my house.
Then go on Holiday to the UK and have a problem
Does that mean that no Cartago dealer in the UK will help me?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
So if I buy a Motorhome say Cartago from my local dealer in Belgium
15 km from my house.
Then go on Holiday to the UK and have a problem
Does that mean that no Cartago dealer in the UK will help me?

Any decent Motorhome dealer who has the skill to make repairs would probably do the work for you. Provided you pay the going rate I expect but not as a warranty claim.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Yet if a UK registered motorhome came here
I am sure 99% of the dealers would do the work without question.
Under warranty.
They are dealers for a certain make or they are not dealers.
I had a problem with my dealer for Rapido
Went to another Rapido dealer here in Belgium
They have don some warrenty work without any coment.
If a dealer does not like the rate he gets for warrenty work
Dont become a dealer.
Stay independant.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Op wanted a yearly damp check not warranty work. they can charge £200 for that here, approx £60 in Europe. I think there is enough margin in £200 to cover a lad on minimum wage ( sorry technical operative) going round a van with a meter for 20 minutes:censored:.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Why should a dealer subsidise the metal mover dealers who sell vans well discounted below normal price or over value the part exchange van to buyers who are only interested in price and are highly unlikely to purchase from their local dealer?

Peter[/QUOTE]

I know this is an old thread, but I'm interested in the meaning of the term 'metal movers.' It sounds to be a derogatory term, used to describe dealers who 'pile em high and sell em cheap,' and offer an inferior service to customers, leaving the other 'good guy' dealers to pick up the pieces.

Does this mean that the British Carthago dealer who reportedly gave @Robert Clark a very good deal, thus attracting custom away from other 'local' Carthago dealers would fall into this category? If it's the dealer I believe it to be, I think this is far from being the case.

An alternative definition may be ' a dealer with a different business model from the majority of British dealers.' This may apply to Continental dealers, who are prepared to work to lower profit margins per vehicle sold, but who sell larger numbers of vehicles.

The fact that they operate in this way is partly a reflection of the larger quantity of dealers and demand for motorhomes on the Continent, thus creating a competitive market place. The perceived difficulty of buying abroad combined with the fact that many British motorhome purchasers do not want LHD vehicles has served to insulate British dealers from this legitimate European competition.

It appears that, EU Competition Law notwithstanding, some (not all) British dealers are trying to create additional barriers for those who are not deterred by the prospect of going abroad to buy a motorhome.

We recently purchased in Germany. Before making our purchase, we did extensive research, including scouring German internet motorhome forums. We found no suggestion from forums that Continental dealers were providing shoddy or inferior after-sales service to their customers, even though they were operating the 'alternative business model.' If Continental dealers are, in fact 'metal movers', then from a consumer's point of view, I fail to see this as being something negative.
Of course, if I were a British motorhome dealer, I may view it differently.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I remember a while ago Johns Coss saying that it was better for customers to pay higher prices as it enabled them to offer a 'red carpet' service. However when I asked him to confirm what was included in their 'red carpet' service, no answer was forthcoming.
Call me sceptical but I'm guessing that some UK dealers will charge whatever they can get away and that they will use whatever tactics they can to prevent the public getting the best possible prices

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I remember a while ago Johns Coss saying that it was better for customers to pay higher prices as it enabled them to offer a 'red carpet' service. However when I asked him to confirm what was included in their 'red carpet' service, no answer was forthcoming.
Call me sceptical but I'm guessing that some UK dealers will charge whatever they can get away and that they will use whatever tactics they can to prevent the public getting the best possible prices
Sorry Robert but I am going to have to disagree with you about Johns Cross. I have never bought a motorhome from them but they were still very helpful when I had problems with my Truma heating. Could not have asked for a better service from them, and their rate is very fair, when compared with Fiat dealers.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry Robert but I am going to have to disagree with you about Johns Cross. I have never bought a motorhome from them but they were still very helpful when I had problems with my Truma heating. Could not have asked for a better service from them, and their rate is very fair, when compared with Fiat dealers.
Disagree with what exactly @peterc10 ?
I've no axe to grind with their service, one way or the other
The only issue I had with them was that they would not define what their 'red carpet' treatment consisted of.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back