Knaus Boxstar (1 Viewer)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Looks like there are two chassis options 3. 3 and 3.5 look closely at the payloads i doubt the 3.3 is very much at all

Feb 6, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
I have owned a 2016 Knaus Box star 540 since new and love it. It’s very well put together, feels solid; it’s well designed with obvious thought having gone into the overall layout & design as well as the small but important things (eg lots of plugs with cover flaps and usb sockets also).

My van is on a 3300 chassis and a recent trip to the weighbridge showed it at 2780 with most permanent stuff in the van and just husband, clothes, food & our usual 30 ish litres of wafter (for initial journey) to add. Also this is very close to the brochure weight after adding for fitted extras and estimates for onboard kit etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Motörhead Fun
Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks. Details are here

1596795540994.png

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Im sure someone said you could get one without the dînette at the front ie 2 berth but couldn’t see one in current line up x

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It was a close call when we changed panel van's, between our Pilote v600g and a Knaus boxstar also 6m, great build quality, I think Brian BwB is thinking of selling his. 🙂 Bob.

Reactions: BwB

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If you’re on FB there’s a Knaus Motorhome owners club

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I'm not sure if the UK gets the 3300kg van, at the time I bought mine you could only get the 3500 on the 600 models. That gave mine (four berth drop down electric bed etc, so quite heavy to start with) a payload of just over 500kg which is plenty for what I needed. These vans may not have the glossy finish and subdued lighting of some other brands but they are well thought out with attention to details which aren't initially apparent. Very happy with the quality of the conversion - especially after seeing some other PVCs. Had to take the van back to Fiat a few times for recall work but never had to take the van back to Knaus for any work (y)

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Not yet
Has anyone got one of these? Interested in opinions.

Thanks
I spent some time on the Knaus stand at Dusseldorf CS as I'm interested in a 540 Boxlife. Definetely one of the better brands. A few things I didn't like such as curtain in shower and the ratchet system for the windows (Weinsberg windows were better). One big plus is that you don't have to go to the Knaus dealer you bought the van from if you have any warranty issues.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Guys,

Nicky and I are quite interested in the Knaus PVC range so I was wondering if any of you Funsters could add to the comments in this thread above.

I'm steering towards a Boxstar 630 or my new favourite - a 600 Lifetime XL.

They look to be well thought out vans but I do worry slightly about the payloads and if they can be purchased on the heavy chassis.

TIA, Andrew

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Not yet
Knaus have got a very good website with a configurator which will give you all the figures you need. If you go for the Knaus 600, the payload on the 3.5t light chassis should be ample enough but yes a heavy chassis can be configured.
Your main concern should be about availability. Have you contacted your nearest Knaus dealer about this?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Knaus have got a very good website with a configurator which will give you all the figures you need. If you go for the Knaus 600, the payload on the 3.5t light chassis should be ample enough but yes a heavy chassis can be configured.
Your main concern should be about availability. Have you contacted your nearest Knaus dealer about this?

Thanks B-W, that last point is probably the big one since the availability of the Knaus range is going to be very minimum throughout this year and possibly next.

I've already spoken with one dealer today and in all honesty I don't think we would be able to secure a fresh order delivery until 2022, assuming we order fairly sharpish.

I've seen a couple of Knaus campers waiting to be delivered on one dealers website but it won't be many days until they are sold too.

It will certainly be a challenge to get one.

All the best,

Andrew

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
Just an update for anyone thinking of Knaus Boxstar PVC models - Having done a couple of 3 day shakedown trips away so far since we got it....

VAN
- 2021 model Knaus Boxstar 540 Road​
- Fiat Ducato 2.3 140bhp 9 speed automatic​
- 3500kg​
First thoughts, having come from a VW T6 conversion are the Knaus van is everything and more than we hoped for. Size wise it's just 50cm longer than the VW but 60cm taller meaning no more crouching down when inside. We went for the 5.4m model as the 6.0m street vers was just a little too big for our drive at home.

Driving - Not as nippy as the VW but that is to be expected. However, far quieter inside while driving vs VW (rattles wise). 9 speed auto is fab, averaged 34.6 mpg so far - mix of motorway and A / B roads - not sure if that is good or bad?.

Habitation area - Knaus quality of build inside is really good, no snags to report as yet, but of course it's really early days. Storage and space is great for the two of us - far more useable storage than we ever had in the T6 esp under the bed. Mix of LED lighting is great and plenty of USB sockets in the van

For relaxing in, the lounge area is very comfortable and likewise the bed is too (bed is transverse and I'm 6ft tall, but it's fine for me)

Additions - Had the Strikeback Growler alarm with non starter fitted by VanBitz - and can't fault the system.... great service from VanBitz when fitting it too and full explanation given on how to set / use it at the end. Took advantage of the MHF discount which helped cost wise (y)

Other additions to the van....

Gaslow system - 2x 11kg bottles
Solar panel
Thule bike rack
Thule shade awning (still to be fitted - awaiting stock at dealers)

Hopefully we'll get more of an idea on how it is on long trips in the near future, we are away in Scotland for 4 weeks in Sept.....Then if all opens up next year, 12 weeks in Denmark / Sweden / Norway

So far though, can't fault it and loving the time away in it (y) :cool:

IMG_20210726_204344_790_Original.jpg
IMG_20210726_204345_177_Original.jpg
IMG_20210726_204345_194_Original.jpg

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
What do you want to know? I have 2 in stock at the moment?

Kind regards

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Not yet
The Knaus 540 Boxlife was high on my list but I've all but ruled it out because of the small table and kitchen drawers. A bit off subject but a prolific British youtuber keeps slagging off everything from Knaus. I wonder why he bears such a grudge as to me the Knauses I have seen look very nice.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
A bit off subject but a prolific British youtuber keeps slagging off everything from Knaus. I wonder why he bears such a grudge as to me the Knauses I have seen look very nice.
He does seem to have an axe to grind. I think Knaus had financial difficulties a few (many?) years ago and left lots of customers in a bad situation. Whether what he says is still valid, I don't know. Their PVCs certainly seem pretty good.

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
The Knaus 540 Boxlife was high on my list but I've all but ruled it out because of the small table and kitchen drawers. A bit off subject but a prolific British youtuber keeps slagging off everything from Knaus. I wonder why he bears such a grudge as to me the Knauses I have seen look very nice.
Agree with you table is not huge, but for the two of us it's not an issue. We've found the drawers surprisingly good holding all our plates and bowls etc in one and 2 saucepans, a fold down veg steamer and 2 ridgemonkeys in the other. Top drawer holds all the cutlery etc.

IMG_20210617_182509_286_Original.jpg
IMG_20210617_182509_370_Original.jpg

We also looked at the Hymer Ayers Rock 540 (did like this one) and the Hymer evolution blue 540 (didn't like this one) - but the Knaus just edged it for us in the habitation area and particularly in the shower / toilet facilities..... that and the fact the salesman at the Hymer dealer couldn't have been less helpful if he'd tried ;) :ROFLMAO:

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
Malibu 540 looks very nice(y)..... we did love our T6 but it was like a never ending game of Tetris moving stuff around in there :ROFLMAO:

Thing I wasn't really bothered about on the Knaus was the 9 speed auto.... but having driven it I love it and really glad we have it now.

Enjoy the Malibu when you pick it up

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back