Kmh Only Displayed On Panel- Is This Ok? (1 Viewer)

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
Get the wife's Nail Varnish, mark a small indicator at 50 km, (31mph) another at 80 km (50mph) and one at 120km (75mph)
These figures are as near as makes no difference given the law and work for me in my 2000 Hobby which has a KPH only dash. Oh and yes it is completely legal and passed it's MoT.

OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
Thank you all. As far as I can tell from the info you've given there is a difference between the van being able to pass an mot and what is a legal requirement. Safer to stick with complying to speedo showing mph/kmh both personally and on the requirement front.

@Judgemental -agree about dealer ,they may make an allowance when I present them with the knowledge you all have kindly provided. Van is 09 plate in really good condition as far as I can tell and I spent a long time looking it over. Don't have many dealers down this neck of the woods - went up 100 miles saturday looking at vans in somerset but no joy.:(

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I imported a Rapido 2 years ago and had to have the speedometer converted to MPH, the odometer still reads KPH. The company who carried out the conversion is called.
Cluster Repairs UK
183A King Street
Great Yarmouth
email. admin@clusterrepairsuk.co.uk
Phone 01493 300716

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
Thank you frogijock- I'm 400 miles away unfortunately but very useful info for anyone more local in the same situation.:)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I imported a Rapido 2 years ago and had to have the speedometer converted to MPH, the odometer still reads KPH. The company who carried out the conversion is called.
Cluster Repairs UK
183A King Street
Great Yarmouth
email. admin@clusterrepairsuk.co.uk
Phone 01493 300716
If it is an X250 2006 onwards the odometer reading can be changed in the instrument menu to miles or kilometres

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If it is an X250 2006 onwards the odometer reading can be changed in the instrument menu to miles or kilometres

yes they can.....my 2013 was. but that not a statutory legal obligation if it cant be..the MPH speedo is:coffee:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thank you all. As far as I can tell from the info you've given there is a difference between the van being able to pass an mot and what is a legal requirement. Safer to stick with complying to speedo showing mph/kmh both personally and on the requirement front.

@Judgemental -agree about dealer ,they may make an allowance when I present them with the knowledge you all have kindly provided. Van is 09 plate in really good condition as far as I can tell and I spent a long time looking it over. Don't have many dealers down this neck of the woods - went up 100 miles Saturday looking at vans in somerset but no joy.:(

get it weighed and independently damp checked..you dont want to end up with an expensive lemon do you. what make is it.

if you go for a lockwood dial I think there info on site re fitters. there are other companies that supply these as well just google MPH overlays, just ask around locally any auto electrician worth his salt should be able to do this

ask the dealer if you supply will they fit. German dealer I use supplies and fits so no hassle and headlights well. So! check headlights have been changed as well! and fog light moved.:cautious:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My Hobby had KPH only and had to go to a VOSA station to be tested when first brought in to the country.. They were quite happy about the speedo but not so happy about the beam benders fitted rather than replacement headlights.
But they still passed it ok.. A week later the new headlights arrived and I did pop in to them just as a courtesy to show I had played the game ( for no other reason than if I happened to import another they would know I was not a 'messer' )

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My Hobby had KPH only and had to go to a VOSA station to be tested when first brought in to the country.. They were quite happy about the speedo but not so happy about the beam benders fitted rather than replacement headlights.
But they still passed it ok.. A week later the new headlights arrived and I did pop in to them just as a courtesy to show I had played the game ( for no other reason than if I happened to import another they would know I was not a 'messer' )

when was that..its the VCA you have to convince these days that van compliant with UK regs. and if you cant DVLA wont even consider registering it

OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
Hi, it's a Chausson Allegro 96 on a 2009 plate. Caught a glimpse of the logbook showing 4005kg - most others I've seen online are 3500kg. Dealer was busy yesterday so I didn't feel confident that he was answering my questions thoroughly. I said about it being weighed as I wanted to know the payload- he told me they were too busy to get it weighed this week. I'm having to downsize as I don't have the turning circle to get my Arapaho on my drive so guess I'm feeling a bit under pressure which definitely is NOT the best way to be looking!! Have been thinking of a LHD for when I'm abroad as a solo as think this would be safer?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
@Broken Link Removed does your licence allow you to drive over 3500?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
when was that..its the VCA you have to convince these days that van compliant with UK regs. and if you cant DVLA wont even consider registering it
That was about 6 years go.. but since then I have imported several Honda Blackbirds from all around the EU .. all have km only clocks and all have been not a bit of a problem

OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
The double edged sword to that is... yes- passed my test 1981! The Arapaho is 4500 and 8.4metres long. I've had no problems driving or manoeuvring it (until now!) even down our little 'ere lanes but times do change:)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
When we imported our 1992 Hymer, it had to have the fog light position changed to the other side. The headlights were fitted with continental to UK beam benders and it passed its MOT. From reading later the stated regulations apply to new or used vans under 15 years old. Mine was over 15 years when imported in 2006.

It has passed its MOT each year since with an advisory that beam benders were on the headlights.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That was about 6 years go.. but since then I have imported several Honda Blackbirds from all around the EU .. all have km only clocks and all have been not a bit of a problem

Thats because what people are quoting here is the Construction and use regs for UK that say that a speedo must display MPH and Km/h at the bottom it says "or comply with other regulations including ECE Regulation 39 for speedos" your Blackbird and LHD motorhomes were built to European standards and then imported, ECE regulation no 39 for speedos says that they must display Km/h unless they are intended to be sold in countries that use imperial unit then MPH must also be displayed also, LHD motorhomes are obviously not manufactured for sale in the UK as the steering wheel is on the wrong side so the ECE regs apply. The vehicles being discussed here are intended for the LHD market so Km/h only is OK at the point of manufacture any further alterations or modifications required should be highlighted when the vehicle is inspected for first registration in the UK, my understanding is that after this point the MOT inspects the vehicle as presented and approved at the first registration.

BUT I could be wrong.

Martin

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
When I imported my van I was informed by DVLA that the van had to be VOSA tested before I could re-register it. I was given a list of changes that had to be made. Front lights had to be changed for right hand drive(masking not acceptable),rear fog,reversing lights to be changed over, speedometer to read MPH. This was in 2013 and van was 3 years old

OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
I've just spoken to the dealer who says that the people they use for mot contacted vosa and were informed that it was not a requirement for speedo to be in mph! I told the dealer examples of the information you have all kindly provided (including Lockwood) and he has now ordered mph/kmh fascia to be fitted......RESULT!!!
Thank you all so much:thanks3:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I've just spoken to the dealer who says that the people they use for mot contacted vosa and were informed that it was not a requirement for speedo to be in mph! I told the dealer examples of the information you have all kindly provided (including Lockwood) and he has now ordered mph/kmh fascia to be fitted......RESULT!!!

headlights? :cautious:

from the dealers attitude I would trust him as far as i could throw him....

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Lets hope they order the right one (y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My van was imported in 2008 and still has LHD headlight with beam benders that I never remove.
I changed the speedo voluntarily as I prefer it.
The fog light had been fitted on the wrong side and failed the first MOT
Since buying it I have restored the original Rapido fog lights that were disabled due to height off the ground (done on heavy chassis models) and find that they do meet the 1 metre requirement so removed the bolt on fogs for the bin.

OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
Headlights I will check again - was imported 2009 declared new at 1st registration and has supporting paperwork. Have to say that they were happy to do the speedo ,it was just the company they use for mot's that said it wasn't necessary. They volunteered and did take it to a weighbridge this afternoon so now also has that certificate- would make much more sense if dealers did this as standard as part of their info pack.
As they have now addressed my queries I'm happier ,and maybe my initial contact was just a busy/bad day.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
My van was imported in 2008 and still has LHD headlight with beam benders that I never remove.
I changed the speedo voluntarily as I prefer it.
The fog light had been fitted on the wrong side and failed the first MOT
Since buying it I have restored the original Rapido fog lights that were disabled due to height off the ground (done on heavy chassis models) and find that they do meet the 1 metre requirement so removed the bolt on fogs for the bin.

Hi Andy,

So I don't have to remove my beam benders (LHD Weinsberg) when I drive abroad, is this correct?

Thanks Antony

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If LHD and benders fitted for UK no you can leave them on. Don't fit RHD benders on them

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Headlights I will check again - was imported 2009 declared new at 1st registration and has supporting paperwork. Have to say that they were happy to do the speedo ,it was just the company they use for mot's that said it wasn't necessary. They volunteered and did take it to a weighbridge this afternoon so now also has that certificate- would make much more sense if dealers did this as standard as part of their info pack.
As they have now addressed my queries I'm happier ,and maybe my initial contact was just a busy/bad day.

I "think" dealers have loop hole when registering imported vehicles and they don't have to jump through the hoops that we do... Not definite on this but its done on trust as they "self declare". They are not the ones driving it so not liable. Its you who take responsibility for putting it on road if anything unfortunate happens. I will mention construction and use regs once more which are not optional but a legal MUST ie no choice

a reputable dealer would do it properly.

I was just going to take them off and refit new ones on our return to the UK. Thanks for saving me some time ;)

Antony

yes I think when they are fitted they create a flat beam. in the old days before DVLA/VCA toughed up I ran vans for years this way

OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
"think" dealers have loop hole when registering imported vehicles and they don't have to jump through the hoops that we do... Not definite on this but its done on trust as they "self declare". They are not the ones driving it so not liable. Its you who take responsibility for putting it on road if anything unfortunate happens. I will mention construction and use regs once more which are not optional but a legal MUST ie no choice

a reputable dealer would do it properly.
The importing dealer is not the same dealer that is selling the van used. All docs, service history,install certificates etc etc are present
I have been and am continuing to follow up on the advice being recommended to me by members re speedo, lights, weighbridge etc all of which the dealer is "putting right" for me as I would not do anything illegal. Am I missing something that you feel I should be doing? Written word makes that sound arsey but it is a genuine question and I am really grateful for all the advice given- thank you

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

back in the day when you could get away with it i just bought head lamp protectors and stuck the beam benders on them...

The importing dealer is not the same dealer that is selling the van used. All docs, service history,install certificates etc etc are present
I have been and am continuing to follow up on the advice being recommended to me by members re speedo, lights, weighbridge etc all of which the dealer is "putting right" for me as I would not do anything illegal. Am I missing something that you feel I should be doing? Written word makes that sound arsey but it is a genuine question and I am really grateful for all the advice given- thank you

No you seem to be on top of it:) I am a very cautious Hector, buyer beware etc....especially when dealing with slippery dealer BS:giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back