Kite Flying (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Does anyone still fly kites nowadays. Single line, dual line, quads?
I'm sorting through the loft and have come across loads of kiting magazines from the early/mid nineties. I used to belong to the local kite flying club that was quite active and flew in a stunt kite display team that went all over the country. I've still got about twenty kites in the loft, mainly large (8ft) stunt kites. I've tried contacting the local club to see if anyone is interested in the mags but it doesn't seem to exist any more. Seems that kiting has evolved into kite surfing and power kites. Still one or two retail outlets about though but nowhere near it's heyday in the 80's/90's

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I still fly my two line stunt kite.

I used to have my old Peter Powel kite from the 70’s but time and crashes had taken its toll.

I now have a new Powell kite and regularly fly it at rallies etc given the conditions and space ?

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I bought a Peter Powell when it first came out. I think it's in the garage somewhere. I must find it and add it to my collection.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
There was loads of folk on Gwithian Beach in Cornwall a few weeks back flying kites.
All shapes, sizes and abilities from kids to (what looked like) professionals.
And no, I don't mean kite surfers although there were loads of them as well!:)

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
I still fly my two line stunt kite.

I used to have my old Peter Powel kite from the 70’s but time and crashes had taken its toll.

I now have a new Powell kite and regularly fly it at rallies etc given the conditions and space ?
Still got mine, now quite dull yellow.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Another ex-kite flier here - sold lots (flexifoils and others) some years ago, but I still have a few. I used to kite buggy, but that too seems to have fallen from popularity, so even power kiting isn’t what it was. I’ve still got a couple of quad line foils.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Green Monday in Cyprus is a National holiday ( end of Lent, something to do with the end of fasting, I think) Families take picnics to any open space and fly kites. Don’t remember seeing a kite any other day of the year, but hundreds on Green Monday.
SIL bought 2 for grandchildren one day when they were down here. Probably only day of the year with no wind and he insisted on going to the beach at high tide........cue 2 tearful, miserable children with mashed kites.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I haven't flown for a few years, but carry a half decent 2 string in the van. Also have a couple of training kites for the grandkids

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
We got a stunt kite must be 40 years ago, first time out my wife would "launch" it, I had the lines, it took off did a complete circle and hit Mrs G on the side of the head:eek: . I thought I'd killed her, strangely it never got used much after that. :rofl:

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Royston (Hertfordshire) Rotary Club have a Kite Festival in August each year,normally very good,lots of kite flying and stalls,makes a good day out.

Kroates

Free Member
Jul 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Want to start Kite. Can you give some suggestions about the equipment?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
start with a reasonable beginners kite and learn how to fly that well before moving up to anything bigger. it really can be great fun to learn, but frustrating till you "get it"

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
But not too small - my first kite was a 4ft Flexifoil, too twitchy for a beginner. And I had a very small delta, great fun but very very sensitive to input - I usually flew it on loops round my little fingers! If you can find a 6ft Flexifoil Stacker they’re a lot more stable, and great fun.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Depends on the type of kite you want to fly. If a two line stunt kite get something with a 6 to 8ft wingspan and make sure of the wind speeds it will fly in. I had kites made with ultralight carbon frame and sail as well as kites with vented sails for the higher wind speeds. Admittedly these were competition kites and we got sponsored for some of them (anyone remember Top of the Line Kites?). Some of the smaller kites on beachfront shops are quite difficult to fly. Larger ones can be more docile. If you have a local kite club (or shop) ask there. Always better to ask advice from someone who has already made all the mistakes!!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
For a two line you wouldn’t go far wrong with a Powell stunt kite.

Fix the tail on to start with as it makes it a bit more docile.

You do need a half decent breeze for the Powell kit though.
Unlike from my understanding a FLEXI will fly on a puff of wind ?

Dergrowler

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2013
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class, Hymer B578
Exp
Since 2013
Hi I also have been flying kites for years now. Dule line and four line stunts but now mainly fly a large single line which I attach a lot of wind socks to the line, makes for quite a spectacle but must admit not as much fun as flying a large stunt or a couple of stacked flexifols

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 16
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Couple months ago there was a fella using a "kite" to power a buggy type thing, a bit like a land yacht without the sails, on Perrenporth beach. That thing could really motor!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back