Kitchen Tap Reich Trend S (1 Viewer)

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I have a mixer tap in the kitchen, a Reich Trend S and was having a problem with the hot water. When I turned the tap on for cold, worked perfect and as I moved the tap up towards hot, the closer to hot it got the slower the flow until it completely stopped. Its a mixer tap so just one 'tap', you just turn it on then move between hot and cold.

I have managed to fix my tap at a total cost of £4.98 thanks to the info provided by Chris at Premier Motorhomes and www.leisureshopdirect.co.uk

which gave me the instructions how to replace the microswitch and RS Components where I bought the replacement switch from

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/microswitches/7410993

If I put into google Reich Trend S microswitch, most of the caravan/motorhome places were wanting between £10 and £15 for the microswitch but a bit of googling I found out it was made by Marquardt so after searching I found RS components sold them. I did have to very very slightly amend the switch as the old one which broke has 2 locators but the RS one had 4 but it was a simple job of cutting the 2 off not required.

Also it was a DT switch so I simply cut off the blue wire.

All fitted and now working perfect.

The old one failed as it had split where it seems to catch and also where it connects to the switch. See pictures.

Hopefully this post will help others out.

Dave

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 64
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 67
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 66

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have a mixer tap in the kitchen, a Reich Trend S and was having a problem with the hot water. When I turned the tap on for cold, worked perfect and as I moved the tap up towards hot, the closer to hot it got the slower the flow until it completely stopped. Its a mixer tap so just one 'tap', you just turn it on then move between hot and cold.

I appreciate you have done a good fix but don't understand how the pump was pumping cold but not hot .. ?

it's a common water supply fed from a the pump, operated by the tap micro switch.. which was knackered.. so how was the cold water flowing ?

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure its clear from the pictures but the brown wire was worn and when closely inspected, split see picture 2. So I can only assume that in the cold position the wire was creating a circuit but when I swivelled the tap up for hot this broke the circuit, thus not working.

But I have to say, it did get me thinking about the whole plumbing system, microswitches etc. I have a Shurflo external pump which I believe is the pressure type, so when a tap is opened, it senses a pressure drop and activates. I assumed that when the tap is closed, pressure builds up and then switches off, so what are the microswitches actually for??

Anyway all I can report is when I replaced the switch, all working fine :)

Dave.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not sure its clear from the pictures but the brown wire was worn and when closely inspected, split see picture 2. So I can only assume that in the cold position the wire was creating a circuit but when I swivelled the tap up for hot this broke the circuit, thus not working.

But I have to say, it did get me thinking about the whole plumbing system, microswitches etc. I have a Shurflo external pump which I believe is the pressure type, so when a tap is opened, it senses a pressure drop and activates. I assumed that when the tap is closed, pressure builds up and then switches off, so what are the microswitches actually for??

Anyway all I can report is when I replaced the switch, all working fine :)

Dave.

Hi Dave

hmm.. perhaps it was originally a submersible pump and whoever changed it to a Shurflo kept the micro switch in the circuit. ?

That being the case I'm not surprised it burnt the switch, the current drawn by the Sureflo is much higher than a submersible pump, more than the current rating for the switch, so it will only be a matter of time until the new switch succumbs and melts..

I'd do some investigating .. if you short the wires out at the switch and keep the tap closed the pump will run and should stop on pressure .. the pressure switch is on the end of the Sureflo and can be adjusted ..

To increase the pressure cut-out point, screw the adjuster clockwise.. and anti clockwise to reduce..

Best plan is to get rid of all excess wiring and micro switches and run the 12v supply direct to the pump.

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, does seem logic but I can 99.9% say that the van is 'unmolested' as the whole plumbing is factory installed and upon doing some research back to the specifications in 2008, it states Shurflo pump 25psi pressure so I assume it's been there since new.

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I had this exact problem in my Hymer van 522. Regular use of the tap wore out one of the wires to the microswitch such that when it was in the cold position the break in the wire was pushed shut and the circuit worked fine however when in the hot position, with the wire untwisted somewhat it would pull apart and break the circuit.

Simply rejoined the wire and everything is working fine.

Thanks for your informative post which gave me insight into what was happening and made me attempt tthe fix myself :)

Cheers,
Mark

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
image.jpeg
Well just down in southern Spain and my kitchen tap would not work on cold so suspected the microswitch was to blame again. Lucky I ordered a couple of spare microswitches when I had to replace it before.

A very simple job again to replace and surprise surprise same fault. With the movement one of the wires seem to work loose in the switch and split. It does get a lot of use.

Full instructions are at the beginning of my post.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back