Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm so annoyed, I bought a tablet which had kit kat and I cannot move anything to sd card without rooting it. My device is filling up and I can't utilise my sd card because of this.
Why have they done this, I don't want to root the tablet as it would invalidate the warranty.
Does anyone know a way round this?
I have reported it to google so hope they bring an update soon to fix it.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I'll be following this with interest, I installed an SD Manager app thinking it would sort this for me but all it does it tell me which app I can move to the card. Googling for answers brings up the rooting question which looks to complicated in my busy life.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
whilst its a right royal pain in the rear, its actually a sensible thing for security as it only allows an app to write to a specific area that only it can access etc - BUT also a bit of a strange thing to do when most (expect goggles own phones/Tabs...Hmmm) have external SDcard

what tab do you have and what are you wanting to move?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I have the galaxy tab s 8.4 and I want to move films to sd card to free up some space on the device as it says my storage is getting low.
I could put them on the pc but I want to use the tablet. Less hassle.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Have you tried the inbuilt samsung 'my files' app - may be in the samsung folder - that should work, certainly did on my note3 and note8 tabs (ive rooted both now so cant confirm if it still does!!)

The samsung video app should then auto detect they are there

just thought - are these films you downloaded from google or amazon etc - if so then you wont be able to move them due to DRM limitations

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I downloaded the season of Dr Who( love him ) from google play movies ( I can watch them in bed while waiting for tez to stir! !!)and I didn't know until I searched that I could download them to sd card as default download storage! ! Dont know if it would work anyway as the problem is writing to sd card.
I have astro file manager as an app and it wouldn't do it.
Samsung file manager does move some but not all apps.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Have you tried the inbuilt samsung 'my files' app - may be in the samsung folder - that should work, certainly did on my note3 and note8 tabs (ive rooted both now so cant confirm if it still does!!)

The samsung video app should then auto detect they are there

just thought - are these films you downloaded from google or amazon etc - if so then you wont be able to move them due to DRM limitations

That's worked for me bungy, thank you. :happy: Takes a bit of toing and froing to see what's happening but so far so good. Why do none of the googled answers suggest you try the phone first but all point you to the rooting answer? :doh:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
unfortunately astro is quite limited now in kitkat without root, ES file explorer can do a few more bits and bobs though and you should (caveated!!) be able to do a few more things. But without rooting the only one that seems to work with most user files is the inbuilt one My Files.

sorry to ask more questions - download of Dr Who was it through an app (like BBC iplayer)?

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
just noticed the the google play movies bit - as far as i know you cant move those to the sdcard - as they ar e locked away in a file location that you can only get to using playmovies or if you are rooted, due to the DRM lockdown

alot of the info on the web saying you can move them was pre kitkat days im afraid

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks bungy, looks like I'm stuck, don't want to invalidate the warranty, it's only 2 weeks old.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
and another update...just had a look at google playmovies (dont use it so havent looked much before) you can indeed change the location in the settings in the app to us the sd card...learn something every day :D

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Yes I read that, too late though for me already had downloaded them before I noticed. I have made future downloads to sd card. Only way around it is to delete them and download again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back