LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having owned a few in the past, my favourite being an NG TA am getting an itch for another kit. I fancy a Pembleton Brooklands or maybe the 3 wheeled version with the Motoguzzi engine. The JSR trike is nice but seems to be fetching silly money, so thats out of the question. Any other kit car aficionados on fun ?.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Never had one but would Love one of these.... It would have to be a kit car as the real thing is way too expensive ..

image.jpeg

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I know how not to finish one :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Even an AC kit can make eye watering money. Have seen nice Cobra kits make over £30K.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I built a Westfield SEi with a Dunnel prepared Ford Zetec motor ... great fun to build and drive(y)

Bought the chassis in 1992 and finished it in 1993 but only kept it for 3 years ... would like to buy it back now.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Shelby AC Cobra, drop dead gorgeous, have always wanted one since I was a nipper, and would have a decent kit car, always wanted to build one but when you see the amount of unfinished kits for sale (usually) it made me realise there's probably more to it that meets the eye so I never bothered, probably couldn't even get in one now!

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think there are 2 kinds of kit car owner. The one that gets the pleasure from the build and once completed they hardly drive them. The other who will get them out on any dry day and just drive them for the sakes of driving them. I was even known to take time off work, just to go for a blast on a sunny day. Am more into the 30s replicas nowadays than the hot stuff. One of the first kits I owned was a Dutton with the Ford Essex engine from an ex police Granada. That thing was more than a little hairy.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Why build a kit car when you can buy a Lotus?

They were one of the first 'production' kit cars

I have a 1989 Excel, been stored for over 10 years......... cheaper than a kit car, not on a Q plate... fantastic performance and road-holding........

When I was a kid I used to dream of building a 'Special' ... a converted Ford Pop or Austin 7......

Ashleys, Typhoons, AJS ......all gone now ..... 'Practical Motorist'...... (y)(y)

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Shelby AC Cobra, drop dead gorgeous, have always wanted one since I was a nipper, and would have a decent kit car, always wanted to build one but when you see the amount of unfinished kits for sale (usually) it made me realise there's probably more to it that meets the eye so I never bothered, probably couldn't even get in one now!

Getting in is the easy bit with those two seaters. Getting out is the difficult bit as you get older.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I built a Spartan on a new chassis with a vitesse engine. OBG 308S, It was used as an every day car bythe previous mrs. She kept it when we split, òften wonder what happened to it.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I used to love watching the Morgan three wheelers racing at Brands as a kid!
Very hairy and some of the time on two wheels or upside down.
Crazy prices now,Have a Guzzi bike and to be honest that old industrial looking V twin looks grand stuck out the front of a repro Morgan.
Why not??

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Love the Lomax - full of character! C&CC members can read about doing the NC500 in a Lomax with rescue dog and tent in their recent mag

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We had a dutton mellos until pregnancy meant she couldnt get behind the wheel and i rebuilt a mini scamp which i sold to a guy who wanted it for off roading???

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I used to love watching the Morgan three wheelers racing at Brands as a kid!
Very hairy and some of the time on two wheels or upside down.
Crazy prices now,Have a Guzzi bike and to be honest that old industrial looking V twin looks grand stuck out the front of a repro Morgan.
Why not??

I would love the 3 wheeled Pembleton Grasshopper with the Guzzi powerplant, but know full well it would be the end of me. There is something about those Morgan replicas that make you want to push them to the limit and beyond. Am looking seriously at the Pembleton Brooklands with the same engine but with 4 wheels we would both stand a slim chance of survival.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What I have noticed recently is that many of the better examples have been exported to France and Holland where they make good prices. We were almost unique in the kit car craze here in the UK. I dont know of any other European builder although there were a few in the States. Is it the British quirkiness or because our factory built cars fell apart so quickly in the 60s and 70s. Many early examples were built around Ford and BL donors, which says a lot for there mechanicals, but little for the bodywork.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
i did go and look at another dutton a few years ago but realised my bum no longer fitted in the seat

I have to admit it was my ever increasing stomach size which influenced the sale of the Caterham. While easy to slide in - not so easy to get out (with any dignity):eek:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Never had one but would Love one of these.... It would have to be a kit car as the real thing is way too expensive ..

View attachment 104543
You took the words out of my mouth, one passed me last week, the good weather must be bringing them out. Always loved the AC Cobra since my first ride in one years ago.....(y)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I also built a 4 wheeled lomax in 1993, this gave more luggage space in the rear.I had it bored out to 650cc, lightened flywheel, and anti roll bar.
That thing really shifted the needle on the speedo used to go right around to its maximum and still excellerating, I also fitted electronic ignition, I too wished I still owned it.

John.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
This is what am looking at. The main problem is that Newton Abbot is a hell of a long way to drive a kit with no heater back to Liverpool.
Is Phil Gregory still at the helm of Pembleton?, he was a top Speed Hill climber in the 80s built his own bikes.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Are beach buggy kits still available, or something like the Mini-Moke/Citroen Mehari? I've always thought one would make an ideal summer toad.

Malcolm

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
This is what am looking at. The main problem is that Newton Abbot is a hell of a long way to drive a kit with no heater back to Liverpool.
Nice ... wouldn't mind that myself .... so don't be such a wimp and go get it before I do!;)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I could fancy one of the 3 wheeler kits and driving around the quiet roads in France with the roof down.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I may be wrong about this,frequently am!!
Living in France for years I managed to register a Suzuki 200 from 1981 with help from the Federation Francais Vehicule Epoque,it takes from you pictures of any engine,chassis numbers.V5 document,proof of address( in France) and at the time was €50 and after some delay I got a certificate to take to the Prefecture which was accepted by them as a sort of vintage certificate of conformity.
This is possibly why some of the crackers like the one snowbird is looking at are getting exported to France as we do see a number of them at old car and bike rallies and events.
Great to see and even better to hear.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I may be wrong about this,frequently am!!
Living in France for years I managed to register a Suzuki 200 from 1981 with help from the Federation Francais Vehicule Epoque,it takes from you pictures of any engine,chassis numbers.V5 document,proof of address( in France) and at the time was €50 and after some delay I got a certificate to take to the Prefecture which was accepted by them as a sort of vintage certificate of conformity.
This is possibly why some of the crackers like the one snowbird is looking at are getting exported to France as we do see a number of them at old car and bike rallies and events.
Great to see and even better to hear.

For obvious reasons the 2CV kits such as the Lomax are very popular with the French. In recent years many have been sold to French customers, who have been paying what we in the UK would consider over the odds prices. The French do have an affinity with quirky cars and love the 3 wheeled variety. It just seems odd to me that we Brits seemed to be the only ones in Europe that took to building these specials. the craze started in earnest in the UK during the 50s with the Ford sidevalve specials and carried on into the 80s. There was of course many specials built on the Austin 7 chassis before that. There does seem to be a revival in recent years with copies of just about every exotic car ever built from Cobras to Lamborghini's.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back