Kipor versus Honda. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm torn between buying a Kipor or Honda genny, if cost wasn't in the equation (bear in mind I'm a Jock:RollEyes:) I'd go for the Honda but I also want longevity and reliability which is guaranteed by Honda (5 years now) .. we are full time and will use it extensively as we intend to spend less money on ehu sites.
Reading forums both here and in the States there is conflicting views, some swear by Kipor others have had lots of problems and rubbish them ..
Lets here it from the Kipor gang.. do they cut the mustard and are they as good as Honda.. or would I be better biting the bullet and buying Honda ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have no idea about Kippor Jim, but the 2K Honda I use is absolutely superb, I have hundreds of hours on mine. It gets used at home a fair bit because we suffer a few power cuts every winter.

At the York show it was used to provide Inverted, spike free power to a couple of PC's and a 32 inch TV from 9am to 5pm, it was then used to light our camping area with a string of 6 60w bulbs from 6 to midnight, and did that on one filling, which is just a couple of pints of petrol, and it did with an unobtrusive gentle hum. I can't recommend it highly enough. I got mine fromLink Removed and saved a couple of hundred quid.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
As i have said before i use the Kipor (one of the better ones) and used it quite a bit when caravaning.

At present Duncan is searching me out a single part for my onboard genny (which i killed:Doh:) so use the kipor and to be honest my 2KW copes very well and is economical compared to the bigun.

As full timers I might consider the Honda although the Kipor really is a Honda.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

B

baloothebear

Deleted User
Kipor had their panties taken down by Honda's Lawyers recently. You have to be a bit careful which one you buy because there was a whole range of Kipor gennies crushed - along with the spares I might add!:cry:

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
I've never looked at generators before - not something I ever thought of.

I've now looked at them as this thread caught my interest.

I'm never gonna do it again! I have a weak heart. HOW MUCH?:whatthe:

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Kipor had their panties taken down by Honda's Lawyers recently. You have to be a bit careful which one you buy because there was a whole range of Kipor gennies crushed - along with the spares I might add!:cry:

Hi Baloo

It was only one importer as fas as I can tell (from motorboats monthly) and these where the old models

Honda (UK) has seized and disposed of a UK company's entire stock of Kipor generators in accordance with the terms of a UK Court Order.

In September 2006, Honda announced it had obtained an Order from the High Court of Justice restraining Procurement UK Limited from importing and selling certain Wuxi Kipor Power Co. Ltd (Kipor) generators in the United Kingdom.

Despite the Court Order, stock of the infringing Kipor models known as KGE1000tsi, KGE1300tc, KGE1300tsc, KGE2000tc, KGE2000ti, KGE3000tc and KGE3000ti has continued to enter the UK.

Primarily manufactured in China and sold in the United Kingdom under the name of the manufacturer or distributor, these generators utilise Honda's patented technology without permission, therefore infringing Honda's UK patents.

Honda (UK) has now carried out its "Big Crush" (pictured) and warns competitors that it will "always take action against those willing to flaunt the law".

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi John

Please don't shoot one of your letters off George

What do you mean by the above? If you read my post carefully you will see that i was showing that it was only one importer, old models and over a year ago.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi John

What do you mean by the above? If you read my post carefully you will see that i was showing that it was only one importer, old models and over a year ago.

OK but mines 2 years old and going strong.

You generally like to clarify things like your letters on A frames to various authorities.

Wouldn't like a similar one going to Kipor.

Theres a few of us with Kipors so dont need any problems with spares.

No offence meant just a simple friendly request.

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi John

Simple friendly request?

I have never sent a letter to the authorities with regard to A frames, I have no idea why you would say that I have, and again if you read my post it was in defence of Kipor.

In the past I have reccomended Kipor gennerators....If I remember rightly, I even reccomended it to you on MHF before you bought one, based on the fact that at the time you could buy three kipors for price of one Honda.....

B

baloothebear

Deleted User
Before you all release the hounds on poor old George I brought the subject of Honda's lawyers up.
Every Kipor I have seen has been a good bit of kit. Whether or not they stand the test of time, who knows? At the moment, I cannot see why not.
I don't know why Honda felt so aggrieved but I'm sure that they didn't take action lightly. If they have done one lot there is no reason not to suppose that they may have a go at more Kipor agents.
I suppose that the Kipor people were lucky that Honda San didn't send some Samurai round to give them the pointy bit!

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well.. having read all the feedback here, MHF and the yank forums I've decided it will be a Honda .. I really don't want one that MAY let me down, no disrespect to those who have had sterling service from their Kipors, the Chinese probably don't have the same QC as Honda so a bad egg is more likely.. but as one person said, you are faced with a choice of jumping into one of two lifeboats, one with a Kipor engine the other a Honda .. which do you choose ? .. :winky:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi John

In the past I have reccomended Kipor gennerators....If I remember rightly, I even reccomended it to you on MHF before you bought one, based on the fact that at the time you could buy three kipors for price of one Honda.....

Doubt it as I had mine as a caravaner.

I apologise if you have never written any letters to anyone regarding the legalities of A Frames.

Don't know where I got that idea from then :RollEyes:

voxol51

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Shakespeare county
Funster No
MH
low profile/garage
Exp
5 years after 27 of tugging
I've got one of the 1300 suitcase Kippors, with red casing. Never had any problems so far, and totally happy with the product.

Mine chucks out a modified signwave.
Apparently the slightly dearer ones with the yellow coloured casings chuck out a pure signwave and can be used without problem with more sensitive items such as Laptops, etc.

voxy

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I've got one of the 1300 suitcase Kippors, with red casing. Never had any problems so far, and totally happy with the product.

Mine chucks out a modified signwave.
Apparently the slightly dearer ones with the yellow coloured casings chuck out a pure signwave and can be used without problem with more sensitive items such as Laptops, etc.

voxy

Mine is the 2 KW yellow cased one and exceptionally pleased with it:thumb:

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Voxy

Modified sine is ok with laptops, I can only think of one motorhome related item that wouldnt work with Modified sine and thats a recharger for electric toothbrush. I tested modified sine on allsorts of electrical goods without problem

George

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Honda

I got the Honda 2KW inverter type. Very quiet and reliable!:thumb:
I decided on the Honda as I thought that maybe the quality would be better and therefor last longer:ROFLMAO:
My mistake was that I had the model with 13amp uk sockets :cry:and I now wish that I had the European 3 pin socket type just like normal camp site hook up!:Blush:

aido

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Co. Wicklow
Funster No
MH
Euromobil
Exp
8 years
Just bought a kipor yellow case generator 2.6k to-day €650. hope it lasts for a little while :Smile:

sammclouis

Account Deactivated
Aug 14, 2007
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
kipor for me............

iv got a kipor IG2000 Link Removed
its fantastic...runs everything i want it to run..its very quiet & i didnt notice a noise difference between my kipor and a honda of the same spec..recently at a car boot i did people were commenting on the geni & asking where i bought it...i got it from ebay from a guy who's a great seller and i would recommend him Link Removed

hope this helps sammx

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, i've got the Kippor 1000. Sees to all my needs with about 3hrs running per day. I believe Kippor now have a licence from Honda? I run mine round about midday for 2 - 3 hours this keeps me going with computer, 12v Sky box, 12v tele and lights. While it's running we cook dinner in a Remoska. Brilliant piece of kit. ::bigsmile:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi Jim..can i ask why you wont one? is your on board Genni down or is it for running costs? if so how many hours running will it take to break even and are you going for the gas model?
the reason i ask is my on board is down and don't know witch way to go
Dave.:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
hi Jim..can i ask why you wont one? is your on board Genni down or is it for running costs? if so how many hours running will it take to break even and are you going for the gas model?
the reason i ask is my on board is down and don't know witch way to go
Dave.:thumb:

Hi Dave

I want it solely to charge the batteries as it will be quieter and cheaper to run than the on board 5kva genny, which I'm tempted to get rid of and free up a large locker..
I'll buy a petrol model, if we are parked up it will be easier to fetch 5 lt of petrol on the bike rather than a bottle of LPG, plus the gas version is more expensive..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back