Kipor generator/Carthago (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We were chatting to the electrician at our dealers, and mentioned that we are going to carry our Kipor generator when travelling in Winter. We have never needed to use it, but you never know.
The electrician told us to check the compatibility of any generator that we used, as it may upset the electrics on the MH.
Please, can anyone explain what we need to check.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I would think that a generator with a decent inverter would be fine.
We often carry a small Honda but so far haven't used it with our Carthago but I don't expect any problems.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
The electricians qualifications?

No idea. But he is employed by the dealers and fitted the extras onto our new Carthago, so I assume that he is qualified. He did not go into further details.
Thanks for your reply Clarky, the generator worked ok on our Geist so I think it should be ok.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I would exchange your kipor for a "Honda"... :winky: :giggler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
You can use any gennie provided that it has a Pure Sinewave inverter, the reason for this is that the 240 volt output is regulated and smoothed out so as not to send any spikes or voltage irregularity into any sensitive electronics on board your motor home. The most popular ones are the Honda, and Yamaha ones. They are not the cheapest but will last a long time if regularly serviced, and oil levels are monitored. They can be converted to run on LPG also, so there is no need to carry separate petrol cans, and will be a lot cheaper to run, some say quieter also.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don't realise generators had inverters, a little wiser again today although I still don't understand how they work other than putting petrol in and pulling the cord :)

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
There's inverter generators that have pure sine wave and others that have none or modified sine wave.

Pure lets you use computers and other sensitive electronics without damage

Modified lets you use toasters, hairdryers etc, things that don't have electronics in them that are sensitive

Ones without avoid, as they are meant to drive stuff like site machinery, concrete mixers, and basic filament lighting etc. They tend to be the open frame type, and are cheap as chips

Your Kippor would be a suitcase type and in all probability will have a pure sinewave inverter built in to the 240v output, but not (probably) if it has it, the 12v battery charging socket, so dont connect stuff to that like laptops etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back