Kingham rear door catch-stays disabled (1 Viewer)

Aug 3, 2020
Didcot, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi all

We bought a 2019 Auto-Sleepers Kingham (Peugeot Boxer van conversion), our first MH, last summer. Unloading on our very first trip to Salisbury, a gust of wind caught the back door causing it to swing violently against the van’s rear wing and smashing the glass. Not exactly the happiest start to our MH experience!

We weren’t aware beforehand that the catch-stay safety mechanism on the back door had been disabled. Auto-Sleepers say the 2019 vans were supplied to them in this way and maintain that retro-fitting the mechanism isn’t covered by warranty. Likewise my local Peugeot dealer. I reported the problem to the Dept of Transport as a potential risk to road users but they didn’t see it that way.

So, my question to the Forum is: has anybody else encountered this problem and, if they have had it satisfactorily resolved, how they went about it?

Any tips/advice would be gratefully received.

BTW We’ve since been away on many trips, Covid restrictions allowing, and have not been put off by this initial experience. We’re just very careful watching the back doors when it’s windy!

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Here's one I did earlier!

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
By the way there are 2 type of stay available.
Those that are fitted to your van (and mine) and those that have a spring loaded stop mechinism.
You will not be able to open the doors past 90° again because the converter never fitted the bypass push button so you cant activate the spring stop.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back