LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am a big kindle fan but will stick with my rather antique first gen one as long as a I can :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have a Fire and it's great. I love it.

Did anyone spot on the link that if you ask for it configured not to display all the crappy advertising on the lock screen they charge you a tenner for the privilege. That is taking the **** :mad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Why buy a colour screen tablet interfered with to get you spend at Amazon when you can get a similar Android tablet with less interference.

The e-ink Kindles are a different matter, incredible visibility and battery life dedicated to reading text.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I looked at the kindle fire but eventually went for the Samsung tab with the 8inch screen.
I have an early kindle with the e-ink screen and 3g and it is brilliant. Hope it lasts.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Why buy a colour screen tablet interfered with to get you spend at Amazon when you can get a similar Android tablet with less interference.

The e-ink Kindles are a different matter, incredible visibility and battery life dedicated to reading text.

Agree with you about the e-ink versions. The only problem with the e-ink ones are that they aren't back lit so you need a source of light to read by. When I had mine and would quietly try and read it in bed minding my own business all I got was "turn the light off, I can't sleep with it on" every 30 seconds. The screen on the Fire is apparently acceptable.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I use two Android tablets with the Kindle app to read Kindle books, but have a totally free Android tablet the rest of the time.

Now the Android market has matured there are some good buys in last years models.

As a guide look here, then check on ebay etc...

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/563/Tablets-Touchscreens/

I've got 2 iPads to go with the Fire so pretty well set for tablets for a while (y) I've used the Kindle app on iPad and phone and whilst it's OK there's something about reading on the Fire that I prefer. Can't explain what exactly but it's different to an app on a tablet. But even so I agree with your first original point that e-ink is better but switched in search of a quiet life.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The ads don't bother me as I'm not succeptible to advertising. I like my kindle fire hd. When I first got it I rooted it and installed all the Google bits they take off of android but I've since restored to factory settings and am perfectly happy using my phone for those productive things and my kindle for entertainment

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My wife purchased the Kindle fire HDX 8.9 for a lot more than this. Fantastic picture quality and a great book reader too. Only problem we have encountered so far is that you can not print from it.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
My wife purchased the Kindle fire HDX 8.9 for a lot more than this. Fantastic picture quality and a great book reader too. Only problem we have encountered so far is that you can not print from it.

There are some great ways of doing that. Although Amazon remove the Google devices you can still access Google cloud print using third party apps.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We found a way round it by sending pictures to my lap top and printing from there. A big error on the part of Kindle though. As for the Cloud, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Also, tried third party apps and no success! Contacted Kindle help and guy confirmed we could not print directly from tablet.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
For purely reading books an E reader is really the best bet!

You can get clip on lights for old kindles...have had one for years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back