Free Member
May 8, 2014
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
A couple of years...France/Spain/Portugal and Blighty
Has anyone got the secret to avoiding door and locker key lock barrels freezing?...Or do I continue with red hot keys slowly melting the barrel? :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
never had one freeze up in all my time driving must have Ben lucky even -40 deg
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BeeSea

BeeSea

Free Member
May 8, 2014
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
A couple of years...France/Spain/Portugal and Blighty
198703-9780269173f34919b048c30b0a983664.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7372.jpg
    IMG_7372.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 71
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
if you haven’t any de-icer then pee in the lock, always works:xThumb:
unfortunately woman will find it difficult :xdoh:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A couple of ours froze up last time we were away so when the sun got on and thawed them out I put a bit of WD40 in (they have a shield over the lock so you need the pipe) next morning -11 and all was OK.

Martin

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
A couple of ours froze up last time we were away so when the sun got on and thawed them out I put a bit of WD40 in (they have a shield over the lock so you need the pipe) next morning -11 and all was OK.

Martin
Quite a few posts over the years about not using WD40 in locks, apparently it can set hard and stops the key going in.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Quite a few posts over the years about not using WD40 in locks, apparently it can set hard and stops the key going in.
People who used to work in the lock-making industry used to say "Never use oil to free-up a lock, use Graphite instead". I assume that oil encourages muck to stick in the mechanism and gum everything up.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I am reminded of a letter to the motoring correspondent of “The Times” about 50 years ago. She had advised, as winter was approaching, that a good way to thaw a frozen car lock would be to pee on it. The warmth and salt contained would swiftly remove any ice. An astute reader asked her how such a task might be achieved by a woman?

The reply was that one of the fairer sex “could always ask a policeman”.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Reading this through and especially Dave's post above I realised that "of course" I don't use a key as we have central locking on all but the gas and toilet doors, I do still squirt the barrels now and again just because I don't use them, what froze up at Shrewsbury last time out was the locker handles and mechanism but after a quirt to remove the moisture they were fine the next colder morning.

And I have managed to get the marks it left off the bodywork as well:xrofl:

Martin

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
No, but it is a water repellent.
Yes it certainly is but it will remove any lubricants and dry out the moving parts over time.
The old 3-1 oil is the wiser choice or use ACF 50.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Absolutely not, WD40 isn`t a lubricant.

Function[edit]
The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile viscous oil which remains on the surface to which it is applied, giving lubrication and protection from moisture.[11] This oil is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to make a low viscosity fluid which can be aerosolized to penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving behind the oil. A propellant (originally a low-molecular-weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) creates pressure in the can to force the liquid through the can's nozzle before evaporating.[11]

Its properties make it useful in both domestic and commercial settings. Typical uses for WD-40 include removing dirt and extricating jammed screws and bolts. It can also be used to loosen stubborn zippers and displace moisture.[citation needed]

Due to its low viscosity, WD-40 is not always a suitable oil for certain tasks. Applications that require higher viscosity oils may use motor oils. Those requiring a mid-range oil could use honing oil.[12]

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Function[edit]
The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile viscous oil which remains on the surface to which it is applied, giving lubrication and protection from moisture.[11] This oil is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to make a low viscosity fluid which can be aerosolized to penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving behind the oil. A propellant (originally a low-molecular-weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) creates pressure in the can to force the liquid through the can's nozzle before evaporating.[11]

Its properties make it useful in both domestic and commercial settings. Typical uses for WD-40 include removing dirt and extricating jammed screws and bolts. It can also be used to loosen stubborn zippers and displace moisture.[citation needed]

Due to its low viscosity, WD-40 is not always a suitable oil for certain tasks. Applications that require higher viscosity oils may use motor oils. Those requiring a mid-range oil could use honing oil.[12]

An excellent detailed post, all I will add is during the winter months spray some WD-40 on the tools in your garage or workshop and see how long it takes for them to go rusty, then try some ACF 50 on them, they will never show any signs of rust.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I've had a security handle lock freeze, so i couldn't close it to move off.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
The only problem we had was a rainy night
we went to bed and over night the temperature dropped and we woke to find the whole garage
door handle and lock side encased in a sheet of ice nearly 30cm wide 2m long
and 4cm thick
We actually use graphite on the locks
but in this case it was a rubber hammer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back