BeeSea

Free Member
May 8, 2014
Congleton
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
A couple of years...France/Spain/Portugal and Blighty
Has anyone got the secret to avoiding door and locker key lock barrels freezing?...Or do I continue with red hot keys slowly melting the barrel? :)

Nov 18, 2011
never had one freeze up in all my time driving must have Ben lucky even -40 deg
bill

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
if you haven’t any de-icer then pee in the lock, always works:xThumb:
unfortunately woman will find it difficult :xdoh:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
MH
N&B Flair 8000 IVECO
Exp
since 2012
A couple of ours froze up last time we were away so when the sun got on and thawed them out I put a bit of WD40 in (they have a shield over the lock so you need the pipe) next morning -11 and all was OK.

Martin

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
MH
Self Build Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
A couple of ours froze up last time we were away so when the sun got on and thawed them out I put a bit of WD40 in (they have a shield over the lock so you need the pipe) next morning -11 and all was OK.

Martin
Quite a few posts over the years about not using WD40 in locks, apparently it can set hard and stops the key going in.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
MH
A-Class Fiat
Quite a few posts over the years about not using WD40 in locks, apparently it can set hard and stops the key going in.
People who used to work in the lock-making industry used to say "Never use oil to free-up a lock, use Graphite instead". I assume that oil encourages muck to stick in the mechanism and gum everything up.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
MH
A-Class Fiat
I am reminded of a letter to the motoring correspondent of “The Times” about 50 years ago. She had advised, as winter was approaching, that a good way to thaw a frozen car lock would be to pee on it. The warmth and salt contained would swiftly remove any ice. An astute reader asked her how such a task might be achieved by a woman?

The reply was that one of the fairer sex “could always ask a policeman”.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
MH
N&B Flair 8000 IVECO
Exp
since 2012
Reading this through and especially Dave's post above I realised that "of course" I don't use a key as we have central locking on all but the gas and toilet doors, I do still squirt the barrels now and again just because I don't use them, what froze up at Shrewsbury last time out was the locker handles and mechanism but after a quirt to remove the moisture they were fine the next colder morning.

And I have managed to get the marks it left off the bodywork as well:xrofl:

Martin

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services