Stephen Scott

Free Member
Jul 30, 2014
Funster No
MH
Swift Freestyle 590 Year
Exp
5 years
I drive a 2004 Swift Motorhome on a Fiat Ducato base. ModelDucato 15 JTD MWB. Is it possible to get a new key fob for this age of van. Only have one fob and worried if it gets lost the vehicle would be immobilsed. There does not seem to be any way to turn off the immobiliser under the bonnet, so how could you get the engine going if no fob present?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There are some locksmiths online who can supply coded keys, you need to search.
I'd be surprised if fiat can't supply but at a premium price.....could be a couple of hundred quid.
The immobilizer works on the engine management computer, there is no way to disarm it by removing wiring etc.
Unless fiat have changed things, hang on to your existing key....lose that and it means a new computer, keys and programming.
Last time it was mentioned the cost was around £1100.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Selected branches of Timpsons sell them, but expensive - £100+

Timpsons recently did one for my 2009 FIAT. The new key is programmed by taping the chip for the new one onto your old key, then you put it in the ignition and do a magic number of turns which I have forgotten. The chip is then untapped and inserted into the new key. Mine works fine.

I found Timpsons willing to negotiate on price and I got this done for £60 at my local branch. I had previously had one done for a 2002 FIAT, but that was so long ago that the price is irrelevant. A local auto locksmith quoted me £300 for FIAT though he had previously been very reasonable price for a Ford car key.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Is the cob you mention part of the ignition key or a separate fob? If it's the former then the immobiliser is cleared by inserting the key in the ignition. If the latter then it is going to be a separate after market alarm and immobiliser in which case you need to identify which alarm system it is. A photo of the existing fob may well help.

D.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Since 2017
If you can get to Cumbria then the answer is Cumbria Car Keys
Jim set this entry up for me last week and I have done a review.

Brilliant service, no main dealer required! (or their prices).

He cuts the new key, and then programs it, on the spot.

OP
OP
Stephen Scott

Stephen Scott

Free Member
Jul 30, 2014
Funster No
MH
Swift Freestyle 590 Year
Exp
5 years
Hi All
Many thanks for your comments. The fob is independant from the key so I guess probably makes things worse. The spare fob does not work although I have removed the case and pressed the various buttons. Could this fob be repaired?

Attachments

• Van keys.JPG
    Van keys.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 58

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Could this fob be repaired?
Extremely doubtful.
Even if the faulty component, probably a chip, was found it's unlikely anyone would have the ability to replace it.
They are made by machines with micro soldering technology.
I assume you have changed the battery and cleaned the terminal blades ?

OP
OP
Stephen Scott

Stephen Scott

Free Member
Jul 30, 2014
Funster No
MH
Swift Freestyle 590 Year
Exp
5 years
Yes I have changed the battery. When I press the switches a red light shows clearly on the fob.

OP
OP
Stephen Scott

Stephen Scott

Free Member
Jul 30, 2014
Funster No
MH
Swift Freestyle 590 Year
Exp
5 years
If it was a cobra sysytem, would it have been factory fitted? I have looked under the bonnet and can see the sounder, but not a control box. Where should I look. Many thanks Steve

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes I have changed the battery. When I press the switches a red light shows clearly on the fob.
Sounds like it needs reprogramming.
I would say it's aftermarket, Fiat would use their own which is part of the engine computer.
The 'control box' could be absolutely anywhere.....wherever the installer though was a good place.
More than likely somewhere up in the dashboard or behind the footwell trim panels but the dash a big area and not very accessible.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi All
Many thanks for your comments. The fob is independant from the key so I guess probably makes things worse. The spare fob does not work although I have removed the case and pressed the various buttons. Could this fob be repaired?

Its a laserline alarm system, we can provide a replacement fob but we really need to know the model of your alarm first. Do you have an instruction booklet for it by any chance?

D.

OP
OP
Stephen Scott

Stephen Scott

Free Member
Jul 30, 2014
Funster No
MH
Swift Freestyle 590 Year
Exp
5 years
Hi All
Once again thanks for all your advice. There is always someone out there who has experienced similar problems, that's why I like this site. Dave, unless other companies use the same fob, mine must be a Laser line, but laserline is not printed on the back. Went out to the van to search for the control box, but driven back in by the rain. Have you any idea where I should find the control box. The Fiat information book only showed an integral key and fob alarm system.
I live in Stockport and soon will be planning a few trips out. Perhaps I could take in a trip to Telford, which I believe is a lovely place to visit and let you take a look. (I realise you are a business)
Finally I remember not being able to stop the alarm on an old BMW many years ago, but was able to open the bonnet and use a little key to turn the system off, but I can not find anything similar on my vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stephen Scott

Stephen Scott

Free Member
Jul 30, 2014
Funster No
MH
Swift Freestyle 590 Year
Exp
5 years
EX51SSS why are you keen to watch this one?

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi All
Once again thanks for all your advice. There is always someone out there who has experienced similar problems, that's why I like this site. Dave, unless other companies use the same fob, mine must be a Laser line, but laserline is not printed on the back. Went out to the van to search for the control box, but driven back in by the rain. Have you any idea where I should find the control box. The Fiat information book only showed an integral key and fob alarm system.
I live in Stockport and soon will be planning a few trips out. Perhaps I could take in a trip to Telford, which I believe is a lovely place to visit and let you take a look. (I realise you are a business)
Finally I remember not being able to stop the alarm on an old BMW many years ago, but was able to open the bonnet and use a little key to turn the system off, but I can not find anything similar on my vehicle.

The alarm control unit could be anywhere, installers should fit them in not obvious or easily accessed locations for obvious reasons. We can get a replacement fob easily enough but the method of programming it to the alarm itself can vary from one model to another which is why I asked about model no. Do you not have an instruction leaflet for the alarm? Check in the folder of information booklets most motorhomes have.

D.

OP
OP
Stephen Scott

Stephen Scott

Free Member
Jul 30, 2014
Funster No
MH
Swift Freestyle 590 Year
Exp
5 years
Hi Dave
I have looked everywhere. If I was to vist your workshop sometime with my van might you be able to help out.
If the worst happened and I lost my last key, can the system be turned of by someone like the AA

OP
OP
Stephen Scott

Stephen Scott

Free Member
Jul 30, 2014
Funster No
MH
Swift Freestyle 590 Year
Exp
5 years
Hi Dave. I have opened up the old fob and can see the following LC T108-02

OP
OP
Stephen Scott

Stephen Scott

Free Member
Jul 30, 2014
Funster No
MH
Swift Freestyle 590 Year
Exp
5 years
Spent ages looking for the control box. Found the alarm itself and traced the wire into the cab, but it seems the box is buried somewhere within the fascia. Able to provide the details on the sounder, see the picture, but not sure if the details on it help. I have been told that the fob that does not work might just need programming. Does anyone know how to do this?

Attachments

• Alarm.jpg
    Alarm.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 13

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back