LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Storm Gloria decided to take out our 400x400 rooflight. It suddenly start shaking and before I could get there it ripped off of the hinges and smashed.
Took a chance and drove 100km to Hispavan near Vera. Thought if they didn’t have one we would have to camp out while they ordered one.
Lady luck certainly on our side. The lovely English lady in there at reception had one sitting in a box next to her desk.
Weather was better today so it was up on the roof, parked up at Roquetas de Mar, and replacement carried out.
2C5BACEC-86FA-459C-87E5-618795BF89EE.jpeg
28C2DD8B-FAC1-4A2A-80A9-D6CB5885C458.jpeg
EA2AFEAF-31B8-4475-AB2C-9A3D067C963C.jpeg
6A7984CC-D4F7-4381-9128-6A31AD5A1FC9.jpeg
878499AA-3FCB-472D-AB9F-9329D9CF34AE.jpeg

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Good job. Not sure I'd have the skills to carry such a job out!

Now something else for me to worry about! Skylights ripping out! :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Well done, good job you had the correct tools with you.
Did you manage to get the same black gunk to stick & seal the new one, down there?
Hopefully better weather and travels from now on.
All the best.
LES

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Well done Graham, I do like a handyman, but there is a couple of things to think about, ? first thing is, ? of the two of us ........... who is the lightest, ? and secondly ............... what a problem it will cause if I fell off the roof. ?
Next time send Anita up there. ?

When we first moved to Suffolk, I got friendly with the estate manager, and got all my firewood free clearing up for him, we put all sorts in our wood burner, one day the flue blocked solid with tar, the estate manager came past and was quite cross seeing Janie bashing an iron bar down the chimney, and said she shouldn't be up there, ? but when I explained that she can't drive a truck so better she fell off than me, he was OK and went off smiling. ? Bob.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Well spotted, never noticed that before(y)

Only works on the fully open setting though.
The first slot doesn't have a catch. We had the bathroom one opened on the first slot, on our caravan, back in October thinking it would be ok just open a little bit. Came back to the site to find the lid on the ground. A gust must have got under the edge. what I don't know is if it took off in one go or if it lifted in stages before being ripped off.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Well done Graham, I do like a handyman, but there is a couple of things to think about, ? first thing is, ? of the two of us ........... who is the lightest, ? and secondly ............... what a problem it will cause if I fell off the roof. ?

When we first moved to Suffolk, I got friendly with the estate manager, and got all my firewood free clearing up for him, we put all sorts in our wood burner, one day the flue blocked solid with tar, the estate manager came past and was quite cross seeing Janie bashing an iron bar down the chimney, and said she shouldn't be up there, ? but when I explained that she can't drive a truck so better she fell off than me, he was OK and went off smiling. ? Bob.
It can be done (if it's a large Heki) from inside the van. I did one between showers a couple of years ago. Removal and cleaning off old mastic can be done whether the roof is wet or not then it takes a few minutes to dry the roof and place the new one. Pull down around the frame to seat the mastic then the rest can be done at leisure.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Don't suppose your van is a Hobby by any chance?

Spotted the paddles (for SUPs) tied to the roof rail and looked very similar to a couple we spoke to at a lunch stop aire on the way down

We were going Northern Spain, first time away,

Andy

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Just been watching the effects of Gloria from The Balearic Islands, to Girona, Barcelona down to Alicante, lots of snow from Morella to Madrid. Hope all you guys are ok down there, not too much damage or flooding .

According to Trumpy too many doomsters, around, nothing to do with the human effect!

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Don't suppose your van is a Hobby by any chance?

Spotted the paddles (for SUPs) tied to the roof rail and looked very similar to a couple we spoke to at a lunch stop aire on the way down

We were going Northern Spain, first time away,

Andy
Yes It’s a Hobby.
Anita and I remember speaking to you.
Hope northern Spain is delivering and don’t forget to visit Play de Las Catedrales..Near Ribadeo.at low tide.
Great aires at Foz.
(y)

Last edited:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Well spotted, never noticed that before(y)

Only works on the fully open setting though.
Only works on second setting fully open is right up .does anyone know where you can get the little plastic bits from as need a couple

Deleted User
Only works on second setting fully open is right up .does anyone know where you can get the little plastic bits from as need a couple
That's not the fully open setting. For the fully open setting, i.e. nearly vertical, the bar goes right across to the other side.

Second setting is as fully open as ours ever gets:LOL:

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980

According to the rules of Fun I cannot print Anitas reply to you Bob. :rofl:

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
We were in Las Negras, near Almeria, on 22 Jan 2020 and Storm Gloria blew out our Mini Heki rooflight, too! We have an appointment to have a new one fitted at Hispavan on 14 Feb. The rooflight was in the first, non-locked position.

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We were in Las Negras, near Almeria, on 22 Jan 2020 and Storm Gloria blew out our Mini Heki rooflight, too! We have an appointment to have a new one fitted at Hispavan on 14 Feb. The rooflight was in the first, non-locked position.
Hopefully you won’t be in there too long. It’s about an hour job.
For your info Hispavan charged me 161euro for the rooflight and mastic.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Impressive.
Also the fact you carry a mastic gun and possibly a scraper for easing the mastic ?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Why didn’t you just replace the Perspex?
I know you would still had to buy the complete thing but leaving the main part in situ & just replacing the ’glass’ would have been easier & quicker!

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks GrassCutter, that price is in line with Hispavan's quote, so I'm relaxed about the spondoolicks.
The transparent cover ripped off the "fully open" restraint position in the internal frame so I'm content to replace the whole assembly.

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Why didn’t you just replace the Perspex?
I know you would still had to buy the complete thing but leaving the main part in situ & just replacing the ’glass’ would have been easier & quicker!
When the Perspex ripped out the two lugs that sit in the grooves ripped through the main lower frame.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back