Ken & Bridget, if its too good to be true? (1 Viewer)

electroflux

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If its too good to be true.......it normally is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

We are Ken & Bridget, we previously had a Mercedes based Auto-Trail Dakota, now we have an RV, in which we hope (hoped) to live the dream.

I just have to share this with you all ( I will keep it short)

We recently purchased a Damon Daybreak 3062 which we are over the moon with, and like many RV'ers we have this dream of going full time. Lucky for us we found an advert advertising land, we could use as a base, for sale in Wales. We phoned and were told that for £5000 we could purchase a bit of land 25ft x 75 ideal for our little dream we had been dreaming up. A 4 hour ride into Wales to see this land did little to dampen our spirits. We were duly shown the pieces of land, out of the 4 two had been sold, so we chose our "plot" and paid a deposit £500.

"It was a caravan park when my late father owned" was the talk. At the sellers request lawyers were kept out to keep the costs down. It was all ' so simple, straight forward" the person said, and on the face of it, it was. So we came back to real life, conjured up this imaginery life we would be living when we were there ( we all do it, don't we lol) A month later some paper work came through which read through signed and sent back. Mmmm whilst this "contract" appeared straight forward we raised our eyebrows at a clause about " not reporting any activities on their land or anything regarding their animals" This does not conjure up any confidence and seemed a bit of a strange thing to add. Anyway Hubbie Ken started searching the internet and came across a court case against this person for failure to remove caravans from the property where a fine was imposed. After that hubbie found that another piece of this property had been put up for sale after we had been told no more property would be sold. So armed with this information hubbie then sent a letter kindly requesting information as to how this would effect us as it appeared there could potentially be a problem with caravans and now the other property could potentially be used for commercial use which would have spoilt the peace and tranquility we were looking for.

On Wednesday after attempting to get hold of this person several times by phone we gave up, I was curious to know if in fact the land had been registered so again my wonderful detective came up trumps by find Land Registry Online which threw up 7 other residential sized plots sold 4 years ago, but it seemed a bit strange you would buy a piece of land a mile from the beach and not build a house on it. So more letters went out and today we recieved a call from one unhappy land owner who now has a piece of land that can only be used for agricultural use and the planning permission that was going to be applied for has not happened yet.

We of course are walking away from this, we don't know if we will get our deposit back, but whats really upsetting is that it was our dream that we have now watched disappear. Trust your gut feelings about things.

We want to RV full time, but have a base, a small piece of land to go back to. But we are back to the beginning, the search for sites that will take us for a year or longer seems just as impossible, we don't want the commercial-ness that some sites offer. I suppose dreamy me wants a piece of land out the way where can enjoy the peace and quiet.

I would really appreciate it if anyone knows the names of any sites that will do this please can you let us know.

Also if anyone knows of a small piece of land for sale, with planning permission, that we can put our RV on, please let us know.

Many thanks Bridget (Mrs Ken) lol

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Sorry to say this, but you will find this task impossible practically, if you buy land with planning permission you would not be able to use it just to park an rv on as the planning permission will be granted on a certain size of dwelling being built you might get away with it for 12months but that would be it,land with planning permissions is many times the value of agricultural land. If you buy agricultural land you cannot just move in and stay there either. Alot ofpeople went down this road by buying a 'pony paddock' approximately 2 acresand in order to live on the land found they had to follow a certain route where by the reason for being there was that constant supervision of small livestock or using the land as a garden nursery, others chose a different route and put stables on then got water and electric and 5 years down the line put in for a change of use. The councils now are wary of anyone that buys a small plot and make it very hard for people to do any of the above.

The best way to acheive what you want would be to find a farmer that is willing to lease you a bit of land, most farmers if they have a decent amount of farmland are allowed 1 'mobile unit' for 'seasonal workers' within the farms planning permissions

OP
OP
E

electroflux

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks very much for the info. We will bear that in mind and carry on the search.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
A friend brought a 17 acre wood to live in in her motor home but was ask to leave after 4 weeks by the council. Some one had seen her driving in and told the council. NOT ALLOWED they said !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back