Kefir (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Good morning,

I am recovering from surgery and have had a lot of different medications and what seemed like umpteen doses of antibiotics via a drip.This has resulted in my gut flora taking a big hit!

I am fairly sure I read on one of the forums that someone drinks this daily and in fact makes it?

I am not sure how much I should drink and when, so would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
Someone where I used to work swore by it she made her own and brought some in for me OMG it tasted revolting proper horrible, she said keep drinking it you will get used to the taste ewwww I didn't just made me want to puke. I think its like Marmite you either love or hate it. Loads of info on the net on making your own.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I make it fresh everyday . We drink a glass before breakfast and a glass before bed and have done for several years now .
If it tastes horrible it’s not right .
It’s just like a tart, drinking yoghurt .
If you want to you can flavour it by blending fruit in it . But we just have it how it comes .
Just google kefir loads comes up about it and it’s health benefits .
Obviously fresh home made is best . Shop bought isn’t as good . But better than nothing .
This , I’ve just come across whilst taking a look , tells you a bit about it and it’s benefits.
https://selfhacked.com/blog/kefir/
Btw it’s best to start with a little bit . Drinking a glass full would be too much to start off . As I said there’s lots of very interesting stuff on the net about it .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Actually no need for it your gut will get back to "normal" (for you) naturally
a lot of these probiotics are rubbish as very little of the "flora" in them reaches any further than the stomach where the natural Hydrochloric Acid kills 99% of germs

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
It’s just like a tart drinking yoghurt . :LOL:

You don't see that many tarts drinking yoghurt.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
A broader answer than just to the question you asked, but I recommend you get a copy of ‘The Clever Guts Diet’ by Dr Michael Mosley. Very instructive with plenty of advice on gut health. Most importantly, he researches his work and often tests things on himself (as seen on his TV programmes).

OP
OP
M
May 13, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I make it fresh everyday . We drink a glass before breakfast and a glass before bed and have done for several years now .
If it tastes horrible it’s not right .
It’s just like a tart, drinking yoghurt .
If you want to you can flavour it by blending fruit in it . But we just have it how it comes .
Just google kefir loads comes up about it and it’s health benefits .
Obviously fresh home made is best . Shop bought isn’t as good . But better than nothing .
This , I’ve just come across whilst taking a look , tells you a bit about it and it’s benefits.
https://selfhacked.com/blog/kefir/
Btw it’s best to start with a little bit . Drinking a glass full would be too much to start off . As I said there’s lots of very interesting stuff on the net about it .
Hi Bev, how would I go about making it please?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hi Florencee
Once you have the Kefir grains , it’s easy .
Broken Link Removed
I got mine several years ago. They are still multiplying and growing strong . I put them into hibernation in the fridge if we are going away and don’t want to carry on brewing it,
If you were going on a rally or meet that we were going to, I could bring you some .

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
B1B6276E-EC04-45F7-B66C-0CB0E1C439BE.jpeg
EF12FC88-E5E4-4586-853E-8B889592470F.jpeg

The top pic are my actual kefir grains freshly drained , just now .
The bottom picture is the grains swimming in full fat milk .
Tomorrow I’ll strain them again ( to get the kefir ) and put them back in the jar add fresh milk and leave to ferment. That’s it . Done .

OP
OP
M
May 13, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
View attachment 284523 View attachment 284524
The top pic are my actual kefir grains freshly drained , just now .
The bottom picture is the grains swimming in full fat milk .
Tomorrow I’ll strain them again ( to get the kefir ) and put them back in the jar add fresh milk and leave to ferment. That’s it . Done .
Thank you very much for these instructions.Going to have a look now online and buy some grains.
Best wishes

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Interesting .... I’ve had a lot of antibiotics recently and the nurse recommended a probiotic drink. I did look at shop-bought kefir and noticed berry and honey flavours in Tesco. I hope making it is easier than cultivating a sour-dough starter ... mine would not stay confined to a kilner jar, even in the fridge.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Look after them and they’ll last you indefinitely. They just keep multiplying. When they do we eat a spoonful of them ( it’s like chewy tart cottage cheese ) and even give the grains to the dog too.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Interesting .... I’ve had a lot of antibiotics recently and the nurse recommended a probiotic drink. I did look at shop-bought kefir and noticed berry and honey flavours in Tesco. I hope making it is easier than cultivating a sour-dough starter ... mine would not stay confined to a kilner jar, even in the fridge.
It’s very easy to brew. Then we just store it in a big 6 pint plastic milk bottle in the fridge. Adding the fresh batch to what ever is left of the day before. The longer it ferments , the more good bugs are in there.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

Nov 16, 2012
Hedge End
Funster No
MH
Bilbo's Nexa
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you very much for these instructions.Going to have a look now online and buy some grains.
Best wishes
If you are on Facebook join the UK Kefir Group - members share grains without charge. I got my grains this way, and have given some to others when they've grown enough.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Good morning,

I am recovering from surgery and have had a lot of different medications and what seemed like umpteen doses of antibiotics via a drip.This has resulted in my gut flora taking a big hit!

I am fairly sure I read on one of the forums that someone drinks this daily and in fact makes it?

I am not sure how much I should drink and when, so would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks
I think my gut bacteria was killed off following a course of antibiotics. I felt terrible nauseous and bloated. I've been living on a regime of natural Greek yogurt, kefir, oats broccoli and a variety of beans. All meant to restore healthy gut bacteria. It has taken about 3 weeks but I'm starting to feel better. Sauerkraut is supposed to be good too but I just hate it. Good luck. it's worth a try.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
My gut flora was damaged by medication. I self medicated with Kefir, it made things much worse. I was prescribed VSL#3 which helped, but in the end stopping the drugs and time worked best.

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
We get a sachet of powder from the organic shop and mix it with milk, just leave on the side until it goes thick and then pop in the fridge. Then to propogate, we pour some milk out of a bottle, top up with some of the kefir and again leave to thicken. It's delicious, like a drinking yoghurt.

My sister gave me some of the grains and it was HORRIBLE. Tasted like sick to be honest and grew so quickly we would put it in the fridge to slow it down, but it got to the stage where we were frightened to go in the fridge! I called it Puppy as it seemed such a lot of constant hard work ;) . So then we went back to the powdered form.

However, I think the 'grains' like yours are supposed to be much better. Were we just unlucky and need to have another go? Or is the taste really quite strong?

May 31, 2011
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
re-living the gloryb days of series 2 BC
Hmmm, not sure about all this 'hocus pocus' - I have really bad gut reaction following three severe bouts of food poising inside six months, Doc thought I had developed IBF - did some research onto probiotics and discovered pre-biotics. Sourced a supply from Peak Practice and taking a teaspoon full in warm water all resolved in 2/3 months. There is an important difference between the two types and how they work and are affected by your natural defence mechanism. Worked for me???

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
We get a sachet of powder from the organic shop and mix it with milk, just leave on the side until it goes thick and then pop in the fridge. Then to propogate, we pour some milk out of a bottle, top up with some of the kefir and again leave to thicken. It's delicious, like a drinking yoghurt.

My sister gave me some of the grains and it was HORRIBLE. Tasted like sick to be honest and grew so quickly we would put it in the fridge to slow it down, but it got to the stage where we were frightened to go in the fridge! I called it Puppy as it seemed such a lot of constant hard work ;) . So then we went back to the powdered form.

However, I think the 'grains' like yours are supposed to be much better. Were we just unlucky and need to have another go? Or is the taste really quite strong?
It shouldn’t taste like sick . Or look like it !
It’s not sweet though , like I said previously it’s like an unsweetened rather tart yogurt. Some Days it’s thicker than others , but I think that’s due to the temperature of the kitchen when it’s brewing, more than anything. If it’s fizzing or hissing out of the kilner jar it’s too warm . Or you’ve too many grains in there for the amount of milk you’ve got in the jar .
It’s literally a 2/3 min job to strain and top up with milk again on a morning. Worth it for all that goodness vitamins and probiotics in our opinion. Give it another go .

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
It's easy enough to make but if you prefer a yoghourt texture to a drink, get a pot of Kefir in Sainsburys or Morrisons. It tastes amazing ( especially the coconut one). Think it's £1.75 for a large tub. Sorted me out after mega antibiotics for diverticulitis at Christmas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back