Keeping Vehicle Battery Charged (1 Viewer)

richardab

Free Member
Sep 16, 2016
Eye, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Hello folks.
I am wondering what the best way is to keep my vehicle battery charged. At present I take the van (2009 Autosleeper Nuevo) out for a good run every 2 weeks if we are not using it.
However we are moving house in a few weeks and the van will have to go into temporary storage at a friends house/garage for 4-6 weeks. I can either:
1) Leave the van on EHU hook up - the Nuevo control panel has the option to toggle between charging the leisure or vehicle battery. Not sure how controlled or effective this is however. I read somewhere that it is not wise to leave motorhomes on permanent hook up? There is the option of using a timer switch I suppose.
2) Leave it off hook up and use a battery trickle charger connected directly to the mains supply in the garage.

I am inclined to think 2) would be better but would welcome people's thoughts.

Thanks
Richard

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I have mine on hook up all the time.Bought van new in 2004.Changed original habitation battery last year. Still on original cab battery. So in my opinion it won't hurt to leave it hooked up.But expect different answers ?.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I bought a 2.4 watt portable solar panel from Halfords to keep my engine battery topped up. It attaches to the inside of a window or just lay on the dashboard. Cost about £20.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Fit a solar panel, either temporary or permenant, just remember to take it off the roof before you drive off if it's a temporary one. :D
I bungie corded a couple of fold out soft suitcase ones to mine when not in use..
In fact, that's what I'm doing in my avatar haha.
Throw cables down through roof light and connect the controller up to the PDU. (so that it charges both hab and cab battery.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You'll need at least a 50watt panel to keep your starter battery charged in winter. Too many parasitic loads even with the ignition off and there's a lot of sunless days ahead.
50watts may give you 1 to 2 amps on a good winters day.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I bought a 2.4 watt portable solar panel from Halfords to keep my engine battery topped up. It attaches to the inside of a window or just lay on the dashboard. Cost about £20.
1/10th of an amp (100ma) at best..... I reckon you just have a very good battery.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Camping in my discovery I used to do this :D
2016-08-26 14.35.48.jpg

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
If a mains power supply is available for you to use during your 4-6 weeks away don’t hesitate to use it. The last thing you want is your batteries being undercharged and suffering from the cold. No need to be concerned about the battery charger being constantly powered it will only top up the batteries as and when required and many leave their vans connected in this way for much longer.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just disconnect the battery and bring it home or put it in your friend's garage. You could put it on charge but that shouldn't be necessary over a few weeks. But you could give it a blast every couple of weeks for 24 hours if you wanted. It won't do any harm.

OP
OP
richardab

richardab

Free Member
Sep 16, 2016
Eye, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you for your replies everyone. Most helpful. I do have a permanent solar panel on the roof. Not sure what capacity - probably 80-100w but I too am not sure there will be enough sun in November...

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Even in the winter I find our 100w solar panel keeps the batteries from going flat. It's connected directly to the leisure batteries and I've got a Battery Master which in turn keeps the cab battery charged. As long as the panel can see whatever daylight there is, try and have an open southern aspect, it'll probably be okay

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I think taking the leisure battery is easiest over winter, or using solar year round, but as I don't have a solar panel I have this 12v battery to 12v battery charger for carrying electricity from home to the van when it's in storage:

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I've got an isolator key on My Iveco BOX Van Motor Caravan Engine battery with a 20W solar panel in the windscreen and a just in case 12V charged up once a month heavy duty booster pack that can be used to start any car, van etc
eg,

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the simple answer is put it on ehu and set to charge the leisure battery. then plug a battery charger in inside the van to charge the cab battery

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Anyone know if a Chausson flash 10 will charge the vehicle battery from ehu?

when our chausson 510 is on electric hook up, our cbe control panel inside the van shows4 green lights for the engine battery and 4 for the leisure battery.i.e maximum number of greens possible. So assume both batteries getting a charge.
when off ehu lesuire is 3 , 2 or one green depending on use and engine is 3 greens.
Charger is a cbe unit.

Whether i am right i don’t know as might just be showing full power in and not necessarily then into the battery.

maybe somebody will add more detailed info.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I use a 7 day timer that comes on for a couple of hours twice a week to keep it topped up and alarmed .

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
When we go away for our longer trips I connect up battery chargers to our cars which are on a timer that switches on for an hour around mid-day - when the house solar panels are most likely to be active. Win-win, batteries kept fully charge at no cost!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Well at least it's only £20.00 you have wasted. 2.4/12=0.2 A so in 5 hours of great sunshine you will get 1 Amp into the battery........perhaps !

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Well at least it's only £20.00 you have wasted. 2.4/12=0.2 A so in 5 hours of great sunshine you will get 1 Amp into the battery........perhaps !

The drain on the engine battery is less than 0.1amp from the electronics.

I actually saved over £100. My 3 year old Halfords engine battery died. A replacement battery was provided FOC provided l bought a solar battery maintainer. So far, it's kept the battery topped up :)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The drain on the engine battery is less than 0.1amp from the electronics.

I actually saved over £100. My 3 year old Halfords engine battery died. A replacement battery was provided FOC provided l bought a solar battery maintainer. So far, it's kept the battery topped up :)
That's a good deal. Best of luck going forward with that.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The "toad" is parked facing south and I have a small panel clipped to the visor. it is just enough to keep it from going flat over a couple of weeks or so of non use. Went to it about 1pm to-day and it started OK, 20 min run to the Garage and back (2 starts). It likely won`t run again before next week, but so far the system works. Once SWMBO is cleared to start driving again it will get more use, as I am using hers, it being better access for her.

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I was thinking of visiting our van in storage with a spare 12v battery, a 150w inverter and a mains 250mah charger ... hmm looking at this thread arithmetically I see maybe this isn't such a good idea, I think I want a folding solar panel kit to put in the windscreen, what sort of wattage should I think of over winter?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
To get any sort of trickle charge you need to be capable of putting at least 1 amp into the battery. Using the usual formula that means at least 12w - so ostensibly 20w minimum. Remember this will be the maximum output of the panel in good sunshine directly onto it. In reality you're going to need more, however I think you maybe will then need a regulator to avoid overcharging.

I used to use a pair of those small dash-mounted panels; fortunately the van was facing directly south with open sky so that they got the most benefit. However that only in reality extended the need for a full recharge to 6 weeks and I'm sure it didn't do the batteries a lot of good. I thus made a point of giving it a half hour run every couple of weeks - at the time the van was stored at the coach depot where I worked.

The whole problem was solved when I invested in a 100w panel charging the leisure batteries plus a battery master to top up the engine battery. This also does us fine when we are touring as we rarely use sites with hookup. It is rare, however, that more than 3 weeks pass before it gets a run anyway.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I thought my Elektrobloc was smarter than what it appears to be.
I've had the thing layed up and plugged into to EHU for at least the last two weeks, if not three.
(Hab 12v system turned off at the control panel above the door).
While I was out there messing with mouse traps I thought I'd check the hab battery voltage.
The damn electrobloc was still sat at 14.3 volts :eek:
I was expecting it to be on a steadier maintenance charge after that long.. So I switched the little switch off on the front of the electrobloc which kills the system...
Battery still at 14.3volts !!!!!!
Pulled the two separate 20 amp fuses
Battery still at 14.3 volts!!!!!!!!!
Pulled every fuse on the electrobloc
Battery still at 14.3 volts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pulled the 240v input plug out of the front of Electrobloc and Finally the volts started dropping back (surface charge dissipating)

What a crap design!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
So has your hab battery been charged at 14.3 for several weeks? Methinks it won't have done it a lot of good, but probably better than going flat of course.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
So has your hab battery been charged at 14.3 for several weeks? Methinks it won't have done it a lot of good, but probably better than going flat of course.
I can only assume it has. I am damn sure that it's not a smart enough charger to cut back into a desulphation or conditioning charge every week or so and I just "happen" to have caught it doing so.
Certainly nothing in the user manual to suggest it does.
The manual states two stage charger.. 14.3v and float of 13.8v (which in itself is a little high for my liking.)

Somewhat annoyed as the battery was new last August and that last thing I wanted to see is it sat at over 14v for two weeks :(..

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
No it doesn't, maybe in spain when it's 30°c outside but here in the UK in winter then no chance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back