Keeping up appearances in the MH (1 Viewer)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi funsters

A friend is in the process of getting a MH and one of the things that came up was doing ironing in the MH . I had to admit to having an iron as well as an ironing board in the garage which has been used maybe once or twice in 6 years.
My friend was horrified since he must have his shirts ironed and will not wear man made materials . Our wardrobe mainy consists of outdoor gear from Rohan ,Graghoppers and Columbia etc which can be washed and dried in minutes and no ironing necessary . Shorts , shirts and teeshirts in the summer and fleeces and gilets and baselayers for the winter . Years of roughing it on boats and Motorhomes has pretty much dictated the style . We do have one decent smart casual outfit but often it stays in the wardrobe unused . I would like to know how everyone else copes with trying to keep up appearances in the MH since it seems that we gave up trying long ago .

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Had a travel iron in previous MH but never used it . If you fold t shirts carefully or even roll them they should stay fairly crease free. Like others I do keep on "going out" outfit in should the need arise. Don't iron at home either only if going somewhere special and really does need ironing. I have more things to do with my time , you never know if its gonna be your last

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
As I am always suited and booted for work I am quite happy to be a scruff bag when I am away. Can't think I would need to take an iron with me. Still put my make up on every day though!(y)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Got an iron and use it sometimes..
As we often use club sites or larger sites they tend to have laundry facilities anyway

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Used to iron hubby's shirts when he worked and used to leave piles of neatly ironed and folded clothes for daughters but then saw how they stuffed them in drawers so stopped. I don't iron now unless something really needs it and only on day of use. In the motorhome shirts get hung up so if they come out of home in reasonable state they stay that way in MH.(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
As I am always suited and booted for work I am quite happy to be a scruff bag when I am away. Can't think I would need to take an iron with me. Still put my make up on every day though!(y)

Same here ( apart from the make up)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Wouldn't go anywhere without my trouser press never mind without an iron. How do you people go out for dinner if you are unable to dress for it :rolleyes:. I know of one funster that even carries a pale blue tuxedo with him, wont name names of course :).

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Wouldn't go anywhere without my trouser press never mind without an iron. How do you people go out for dinner if you are unable to dress for it :rolleyes:. I know of one funster that even carries a pale blue tuxedo with him, wont name names of course :).

I think times change to be honest

I remember saying to my old senior partner - " I am not wearing a tie for the dinner tonight"

He replied " But we are sitting down for dinner" as if I was committing a cardinal sin.

I still didn't wear a tie.

You can take the boy out of Wales etc...

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
" But we are sitting down for dinner"
... as opposed to standing up? or jogging? maybe going for a little parachuting?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
No way Pedro.

Shirley Conran once said c. 1965 that "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom" which has been my motto ever since and ironing is a job that falls into the same category. If it's a garment that can't be washed without needing the iron, of which by now there are comparatively few in either of our wardrobes - it doesn't even go in the MoHo in the first place.

One 'decent' outfit in a zipped garment bag and shoes - rest are just comfy. Varying degrees of that LOL

Two handbags - have to be reasonably sized to carry all my diabetic paraphernalia - currently a very nice rucksack style black leather one for usual use and a pretty cloth summer one/beach bag, which is more roomy.

I should add that most of my working life was spent 'suited and booted' and my working prowess was marked with whether the clothes were C&A, M&S or Liberty etc and the shoes normal Clarks, Dolcis etc, then Van Dal or Bruno Magli.

My feet now complain LOUDLY when they have to suffer anything 'smarter' or higher heeled than Decathlon ROFL.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wear chinos to work now unless I am seeing important people or going to court.

I am fed up with suits and ties and dry cleaning.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
PS We've been invited to an old mate's milestone birthday 'do'. Unfortunately it's evening dress or 40's uniform, no-one not in formal gear will be admitted and they are into wartime character enactment as a hobby, so we've declined.

It's disappointing cos I'd love to see her as she's the first one of us lot to reach this birthday - but we'd both have to hire and goodness knows where there's such a place round here or what it would cost these days. It's been over 15 years since I've needed such garments and Pete hasn't even got a lounge suit that fits him now le alone evening dress!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Unfortunately it's evening dress or 40's uniform, no-one not in formal gear will be admitted and they are into wartime character enactment as a hobby, so we've declined.

Those sort of dress requirements are crying out for bubble bursting.

1. Jeans, sweater, beret and pack of Gauloises = French Resistance
2. Go as Hitler.
3. Go in a loin cloth and say your Imperial Japanese captors don't allow you to wear uniform.
4. Turn up in Y-fronts and a vest soaking wet and tell them a U-boat sunk your ship on the way there.

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Those sort of dress requirements are crying out for bubble bursting.

1. Jeans, sweater, beret and pack of Gauloises = French Resistance
2. Go as Hitler.
3. Go in a loin cloth and say your Imperial Japanese captors don't allow you to wear uniform.
4. Turn up in Y-fronts and a vest soaking wet and tell them a U-boat sunk your ship on the way there.

I will only say this once ......go for the French resistance !

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We to have an iron and ironing board in the garage - at home and covered in cobwebs. Good lady wife states if anything needs the creases taken out it's me (n)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back