Keeping the fridge cool in high temps. (1 Viewer)

stevebill

Free Member
Jun 23, 2010
UK sometimes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our 3 way fridge has been really suffering in 30deg+temps. After reading endlessly, I did all the usual things like take the fridge out, turn it upside down for 24 hours, clean the chimney etc etc. it kind of worked, the fridge was running cooler, but not cold. I bought a 120mm 12v computer cooling fan for 10€ in Lisbon a few days ago,and wired it into the outside light switch (which is conveniently close to the extent of the fan wires) and took the outside light bulb out. The fan is positioned behind the grille, and pumps hot air OUT - check with the flat of your hand to see which way it should go. I secured it with a couple of zip ties. 24 hours later, it's working much better, and the fan is silent. I turn it off every night, and flick the switch back on in the morning. I suppose it's a running repair, I will dismantle it and wire the whole thing in properly via a fused switch when we get back to the UK in Sept. Anyway- the fridge now works better than it did when we bought the van, and I will fit a fan even if we end up buying a new fridge, they work so well.
Incidentally, the fridge is wider than the habitiation door! A fridge swap would be interesting, a bit of swearing would definitely be involved....

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
When we are out in our MH here in Spain we leave our fans it on 247 as even at night the temp can be 21C at 2am.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You could try parking with the fridge side of the van in the shade.
I have also heard of folk taking the external vents out altogether.
Perhaps the gas jet needs a clean?
Good luck

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I have a RMD 8555. I put a 2 fan kit into the ventilation space last year and it works well.

However when in France recently there was a heatwave (38°C) and the fridge was not cold enough whereas the freezer was performing well.

On my return I bought two fridge thermometers and an internal fan that draws air over the fins to improve performance.

The thermometers have a screw on the back to adjust them (and were showing different temperature!) so I'm unsure where to put them so I may calibrate/adjust them.

Any suggestions?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Incidentally, the fridge is wider than the habitiation door! A fridge swap would be interesting, a bit of swearing would definitely be involved....

Had the same problem with our first van, ended up taking the passenger seat out & removing the fridge through the passenger door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

stevebill

Free Member
Jun 23, 2010
UK sometimes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Had the same problem with our first van, ended up taking the passenger seat out & removing the fridge through the passenger door.
I reckon that's going to be the only option! I've had a quick look, and getting an Isri seat out doesn't look easy- there seems to be a circular faster underneath. If I research enough, there will be a way.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a 5" fan on my top fridge vent. It does help when it's really hot. Our fridge vents are on the awning side so are in the shade which may help too.
I have a thermometer which is velcroed outside the fridge which has two probes for the fridge and freezer which is useful to check everything is working.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back