Keeping Solar Panel Clean (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Been on the roof of my Hymer last couple of days cleaning and waxing it in the hope waxing will slow down the gunge build up. Surprising how dirty the Solar Panel was and it got me thinking has anyone waxed theirs to slow down dirt build up?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I don’t think I would try that. I just get up there every so often and wash/wipe the panel.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Due to flat mounting of panels on moho , as opposed to angle in land solar, probably best answer is drive very fast in heavy rain to try and blow the dust off :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You should never wax the panels as wax protects against UV and solar panels need UV to work. Also have you not noticed the glass on panels is a Matt finish to reduce reflected light, a gloss or waxed finish will reflect sunlight reducing the effectiveness of the panels.

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
Most of the advice I've read for cleaning solar panels seems to recommend just plain water to rinse off the grime and then a soft cloth and water to wash. Just try to avoid doing it in direct sunlight or when the panels are warm/hot.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Maybe fitting a screen washing function, and some windscreen wipers on top of the panels would be a good idea?
So good I think I will patent it:D, and of course it will be a very expensive option on all German vans especially, my Carthago didn't even have the fitted Radio Option! as the cost was "so prohibitive" I am told:( so I fitted my own higher spec regardless, just need some wiper blades and motor off a BMW I suppose, as every time that has its annual service "they needed replacing sir"
Les

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back