Keeping Quiet about a lovely CL? (1 Viewer)

Cie

Jul 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Custom Build
I was just reading another post on this site, where the author was the only van on a beautiful CL. I noticed a few replies along the lines of ‘shhh... don’t tell the other 40,000 funsters on here’. I realise these were tongue in cheek comments, as it can be so lovely to discover a spot all to yourselves, and if ‘wild or off-grid” camping I understand how sharing it could potentially spoil or risk the loss of a great place by it becoming over popular, but it got me thinking.

Please do support the smaller and privately run sites, and proactively share the ones you find, particularly if they seem underused. Remember the CLs can only take up to 5 vans so are never going to get that busy and have limited income potential.

We’ve just opened a funster CL stopover up near Fraserburgh, only £5 a night, and to be honest at the moment if you come to us you’ll most likely be the only van in as it’s hard to get started and get known about (and yes we are on the usual apps, listed as a motorhome fun CL here, on google etc.). Personal recommendations are such strong publicity for us small sites, so please do help promote us. In early September, if a site only has one van in, consider maybe next year that site won’t exist anymore 😞

We’re not in this to make money, we want to provide a safe parking place for vans as many are disappearing with no overnight stopping signs, height barriers or free ones having exorbitant overnight parking charges appearing etc. We’re motorhomers ourselves. We only charge to cover our surprisingly high insurance fees, outlays such as seating areas, screening, tap, maintenance (our admin time and labour will never be covered). If we manage to make any “profit” we will reinvest this into a black waste disposal. If we don’t cover our insurance costs though we won’t be able to continue next year, and no, charging a bit more wouldn’t help, as we can only offer basic facilities - water and a hardstanding parking space, and if we cost more we wouldn’t be competitive against places with more facilities.
We are open all year so you can keep touring in those quieter months.
So please do name and share all those wonderful small sites you find and help us to continue to provide lovely spaces for you to stay 😊
Cie
www.facebook.com/glenbuchtystopover
www.glenbuchtystopover.co.uk
2990A3B2-E549-4340-A2F4-B8CCE91E2C2A.jpeg

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Do hope you get more people stopping over. We were up that way earlier in the year but before you opened. Would always share official small sites but not so sure about unofficial stopovers.

Reactions: Cie
OP
OP
Cie

Cie

Jul 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Custom Build
Do hope you get more people stopping over. We were up that way earlier in the year but before you opened. Would always share official small sites but not so sure about unofficial stopovers.
Thank you, and I agree with your thoughts about sharing. Do drop in if you come up this way again. Hope you enjoyed your travels up here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
A lovely post and sounds an idyllic spot.

Although we don't have any Scottish travel plans at the moment, will keep your site in mind.

Good luck with your venture and thank you! (y)

• Love It

Cheese toastie

Free Member
May 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Have you put yourself on search for sites and park 4 night? As these are the 2 biggest search apps for park ups that I and many others use. Looks like a great idea and I am trying to convince a friend who has a small field to do something similar was it difficult? Good luck with the venture and hopefully be able to visit you one day

Please can I ask where I find a list of other mororhome fun certified sites as I would like to support them too

OP
OP
Cie

Cie

Jul 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Custom Build
Have you put yourself on search for sites and park 4 night? As these are the 2 biggest search apps for park ups that I and many others use. Looks like a great idea and I am trying to convince a friend who has a small field to do something similar was it difficult? Good luck with the venture and hopefully be able to visit you one day

Please can I ask where I find a list of other mororhome fun certified sites as I would like to support them too
Hi,
Yes we are on both those apps thank you, and a number of other listings and maps too. Park4night has brought us quite a few campers so far 😊
I think the MotorhomeFun sites should be visible on the member map, although I can’t get it to work on my iPad today. Otherwise if you click on local guide on the menu and select a region you’re interested in, they are there in the Fun CL subsection.
Scotland:
England:

If your friend wants to set up something for campervans/Motorhomes, then the CL route with MotorhomeFun is great as that gives an exemption certificate so planning permission isn’t needed. We used the Campaign for Real Aires (CAMpRA) www.campra.org.uk to find lots of help and advice - that’s how I found out that MotorhomeFun does CL certification as the two big camping organisations do too but theirs is quite a complex process. Our biggest issue has been insurance, as our stopover is at our home so as well as insuring the stopover for public liability, we have to hunt hard for a new house insurance that was willing to insure us alongside the business, and it put our costs up heaps 😞
Hope you visit us at some point.
Cie

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Love the what three words you have been allocated.

Good luck the site and would also add to Campercontact as that is very popular with the Dutch & French motorhomers.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Hope to visit you in October.
We have just made the decision to cancel our France trip. Casper is not up to it, and I'd hate having to abandon him at a vets in France. So a trip over the border is on the cards.

• Love It

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Excellent…we are up that way next year and will definitely be booking in for a couple of nights.

good luck with the venture

• Love It
OP
OP
Cie

Cie

Jul 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Custom Build
Love the what three words you have been allocated.

Good luck the site and would also add to Campercontact as that is very popular with the Dutch & French motorhomers.
Thanks, I’ll do that. That’s one listing I hadn’t come across as yet 😊

OP
OP
Cie

Cie

Jul 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Custom Build
Hope to visit you in October.
We have just made the decision to cancel our France trip. Casper is not up to it, and I'd hate having to abandon him at a vets in France. So a trip over the border is on the cards.
Hope to meet you then. A shame about your trip to France, but very understandable ❤️

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Wish you loads of luck with your new CL, you will meet so many nice people, especially the Funsters.

• Love It

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I was just reading another post on this site, where the author was the only van on a beautiful CL. I noticed a few replies along the lines of ‘shhh... don’t tell the other 40,000 funsters on here’. I realise these were tongue in cheek comments, as it can be so lovely to discover a spot all to yourselves, and if ‘wild or off-grid” camping I understand how sharing it could potentially spoil or risk the loss of a great place by it becoming over popular, but it got me thinking.

Please do support the smaller and privately run sites, and proactively share the ones you find, particularly if they seem underused. Remember the CLs can only take up to 5 vans so are never going to get that busy and have limited income potential.

We’ve just opened a funster CL stopover up near Fraserburgh, only £5 a night, and to be honest at the moment if you come to us you’ll most likely be the only van in as it’s hard to get started and get known about (and yes we are on the usual apps, listed as a motorhome fun CL here, on google etc.). Personal recommendations are such strong publicity for us small sites, so please do help promote us. In early September, if a site only has one van in, consider maybe next year that site won’t exist anymore 😞

We’re not in this to make money, we want to provide a safe parking place for vans as many are disappearing with no overnight stopping signs, height barriers or free ones having exorbitant overnight parking charges appearing etc. We’re motorhomers ourselves. We only charge to cover our surprisingly high insurance fees, outlays such as seating areas, screening, tap, maintenance (our admin time and labour will never be covered). If we manage to make any “profit” we will reinvest this into a black waste disposal. If we don’t cover our insurance costs though we won’t be able to continue next year, and no, charging a bit more wouldn’t help, as we can only offer basic facilities - water and a hardstanding parking space, and if we cost more we wouldn’t be competitive against places with more facilities.
We are open all year so you can keep touring in those quieter months.
So please do name and share all those wonderful small sites you find and help us to continue to provide lovely spaces for you to stay 😊
Cie
www.facebook.com/glenbuchtystopover
www.glenbuchtystopover.co.uk
View attachment 534185

To be said in the style of Private Fraser, (Dad's Army)
Yer Doomed! A tell yee. Yer Doomed!
Yee'l be overrun. (I Hope) 🖕

• Funny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back