Keeping Moho from freezing in winter (1 Viewer)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
what do other Funsters do to keep their Moho from freezing over winter? Last year (our first) we "winterised" it in mid November by draining all the fluids down etc. Then we filled it all up again the following weekend, and have used it virtually every weekend since. So draining down is not a real option. Last year we also left the van electric/gas heater on a low setting all the time we were not in it, and this seemed to work OK, but I don't think the fans are rated for continuous use.

Would it be better to put a small oil filled radiator in the van, or a thermostatically controlled electric fan heater? The Moho lives on the driveway and is permanently connected to mains power ( and gas ). We always leave the fridge working on auto (mains electric)

You views and opinions are, as always, valued!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Me being a tight arce i just run the pump dry leave tap open drain down boiler
never had a problem even in the coldest winter
I might sum times put fan heater on lowest seating if i remember
bill

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
You don't say what Moho you have, some are "winterised" as in the tanks are sandwiched between floors and heated and some just hang underneath in the cold.
The former will have less chance of freezing, the latter more chance. Our Autocruise Wentworth we drained the black and grey waste as normal and dropped the fresh water too, didn't heat the van at all but made sure there was ventilation.
We full time in our Hobby now which is winterised so don't need to do anything.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are like you and have permanent hook up, but have Alde heating not blown air, we leave the heating on and stat set at 12C, not had any issues yet, all tanks left as are, although black and grey are always emptied when we get home

in reality the heating rarely cuts in at that temp so I wouldn't worry too much about the fans on yours and would do the same, don't see the point in introducing an extra heat source (y)

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
We go to Spain:imoutahere:
I like your thinking. Unfortunately I work 3 days a week, so can't move overseas for winter..., yet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
You don't say what Moho you have, some are "winterised" as in the tanks are sandwiched between floors and heated and some just hang underneath in the cold.
The former will have less chance of freezing, the latter more chance. Our Autocruise Wentworth we drained the black and grey waste as normal and dropped the fresh water too, didn't heat the van at all but made sure there was ventilation.
We full time in our Hobby now which is winterised so don't need to do anything.
It's a Rapido A Class, single floor. Grey tanks are always empty but I don't drain the fresh water which is inside the van, under the seats

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It's a Rapido A Class, single floor. Grey tanks are always empty but I don't drain the fresh water which is inside the van, under the seats
Ok, if there isn't any external pipe work that will be ok. Try to give it access to any heat you decide to put in if any, lift seats etc. Opening cupboard doors and lockers is a good idea too to help stop any condensation.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
If it's parked on your drive on hook up, an oil filled radiator will lift the temperature and not cost a fortune to run (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We use ours as frequently as possible during the winter, even if just for a few days away. (I would say weekends away, but we tend to go midweek). That keeps it nicely aired.

On our drive we have EHU but still drain down the system with open taps etc. Only using the heating if we are working in the motorhome or having temporary stays in there while working on our house.

So far, no problems.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I agree with all the above posts however I keep a look at the weather forecast and if temp looks likely to drop much below freezing I drain down. Safe is always better than sorry.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
As i used mine most weekends, i parked at home with silver screens on and heating about 15° on continuous.
I just topoed the water up for my next outing. I left the fridge on, bedding on and clothes in the van. All ok.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
An oil radiator is the best solution, using the vans system will cause unessesarily (and possibly expensive) wear and tear.

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.