Keeping habitation electrics on. (1 Viewer)

wheelie67

Free Member
Nov 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
bailey
Exp
1 month
Afternoon Guys,

So I'm trying to find the supposed relay that turns the habitation electrics off when the engine is running on our 2018 Bailey.

I've searched and searched but Google can't give me a definitive answer of where this relay is, or a wiring diagram, but I believe that the green alternator wire is the signal wire.

Today I've taken the 12v / 240v electric box under the seat apart, and inside, hidden in the wiring is a little black box with 'HALL CURRENT SENSOR' written on it.

Could this be the mischievious little monkey that I'm after, (although obvs it's not a relay) that senses a current and shuts the electrics down?

I've never come across one of these before in 30 years of building custom cars so not totally sure what it does.

Cheers Ears.

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Here goes!!
This will fire up the off topic twopenceworthers.

The UK shut off hab lights and electrics is to prevent white light being shown at the rear of the vehicle.
Legally only red lights may be visible on the rear of a vehicle other than reversing lights and indicators.
With your hab electrics and hab lights on, ensure your rear window blinds block any lights.

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Here goes!!

The UK shut off hab lights and electrics is to prevent white light being shown at the rear of the vehicle.
Legally only red lights may be visible on the rear of a vehicle other than reversing lights and indicators.
With your hab electrics and hab lights on, ensure your rear window blinds block any lights.
No need; a "light to illuminate the interior of a vehicle" is an exception.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Here goes!!

Most, but not all, European made models do not have a window on the rear wall.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Actually, I quite like the fact that the hab electrics turn off when the engine starts. After a night stop for a coffee or to use the loo etc we can get back into the front seats with all the lights on. I've got 2x USB sockets wired to the hab battery, so phones/tablet can remain on charge while driving.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wheelie67

Free Member
Nov 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
bailey
Exp
1 month
Here goes!!

How's that work on a bus then?

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Here goes!!

And don't forget to switch off your number plate lights

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Here goes!!

The official reason is, according to the NCC, the hab wiring can cause electromagnetic interference with vehicle electronics.
Nothing to do with white light, or any other light.
Converters HAVE TO comply with NCC requirements to gain NCC approval. (though not all do)

Upvote 0

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Ha ha NCC IS NOT a legal requirement, although a very powerful body .. not law.
Number plate lights are shielded so only the light illuminates and buses new design no longer have rear transparent windows.
Law :Just as only white lights to be used on vehicle front, not blue or orange green decoration lights that many foreign lorries decorate.
Law: Only Red lights to the rear, except indicator and reversing.
Maybe public transport vehicles have exemtions.

Hey guys let's turn this into not bun fight; this was a post asking about hab electrics and how to turn them on whilst running, how about suggesting some solutions here, instead of rights and wrongs.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2013
Newark
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
30 years
Just to clarify the issue regarding hab electric shut down - it WAS an EU directive regarding EMF, that came out when vehicles started using CamBus etc. The directive (very long read!) states that all units powered within the van must be tested for EMF and certified with regard to their suitability ie Amount of EMF etc. This was/is done in testing labs, which most continental suppliers of distribution units set up for their own make. The alternative, was to send the unit to a testing lab - all this of course costs money.
The alternative was to switch of Hab electrics and not bother testing, much cheaper and quicker. Thus units like Sargent chose this course and we are left with the shut down. So lets not blame the UKCC - it is the penny pinching units installed in British vans that are at fault.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Just to clarify the issue regarding hab electric shut down - it WAS an EU directive regarding EMF, that came out when vehicles started using CamBus etc. The directive (very long read!) states that all units powered within the van must be tested for EMF and certified with regard to their suitability ie Amount of EMF etc. This was/is done in testing labs, which most continental suppliers of distribution units set up for their own make. The alternative, was to send the unit to a testing lab - all this of course costs money.
The alternative was to switch of Hab electrics and not bother testing, much cheaper and quicker. Thus units like Sargent chose this course and we are left with the shut down. So lets not blame the UKCC - it is the penny pinching units installed in British vans that are at fault.
With EM interference, it's not enough to test the electrical units themselves in isolation. They have to be tested in the environment that they will work in, and tested for mutual compatibility. So each new model of vehicle has to be tested. British MH/caravan manufacturers have the habitation switch, Continental ones do the testing. You pays your money...

Upvote 0
Dec 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Nu Venture Rio Sand
Can anyone advise how to disable the habitation electrics cut out on a CBE 300 unit fitted to a 2007 NU Venture Rio based on Peugeot Expert 2.0 HDI base ( likely a 2004 actual model) , so i can have12v power on in habitation when engine running , as is required occasionally whilst stationary ??

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Can anyone advise how to disable the habitation electrics cut out on a CBE 300 unit fitted to a 2007 NU Venture Rio based on Peugeot Expert 2.0 HDI base ( likely a 2004 actual model) , so i can have12v power on in habitation when engine running , as is required occasionally whilst stationary ??
Not a good idea to run the engine stationary, as it does serious damage if you keep doing it

Otherwise it is a case of either disconnecting the D+ or ground from the isolating relay. On some boards you need to add a link to bypass the relay

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I suspect the relay that cuts off your electrical supply is outside the CBE unit and was added by Nu Venture. CBE is an Italian Company and the Europeans generally don’t cut off the habitation electrics when the engine is running, this is a peculiar UK arrangement. It may have made sense with caravan wiring. Unfortunately the National Caravan Council which represents UK Manufacturers (not customers) seems to have included it in one of their archaic regulations and it gets applied where it is not needed.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back