Keeping Cool (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Are motorhomes very hot in places like the south of Fance? How do peple keep cool enough to sleep well without habitation air con?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My well insulated motorhome with blinds/flyscreens keeps me warm in winter and cool(ish) in summer.

I do find it a bit warm when it goes above 35C which is when I try to get by some water and park in the shade.

I have a 12 volt Travelcool (evaporation) aircooler thingy which helps but I don't seem to need it too often.

I guess the important thing is to get a well insulated van.

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Yeah.. I think it's insulation for sure but probably more importantly ventilation.. A nice quiet breeze is much nicer than a humming Aircon imho

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
We are currently in the south of France, the temperature has been in the high 30s all day and yes, we are hot even though we are beside water.

We have external silver screens on all windows ( bought one for windscreen and homemade ones made from silvered car windscreen covers for all other sun- facing windows. Either hold these on with clothes pegs clipped to the outside of the open window or make some elastic ties to keep them in place. It means you can keep windows open to catch any passing breeze while reflecting the sun away from the open window. The external blinds are considerably more useful than internal ones.

We have an Endless Breeze fan which keeps air moving and we stay out of the van as much as we can. Cooking, such as there is, is done outside on an electric griddle and remoska.

The awning is up and the sides, if the sun shines round them, covered with silvered shower curtains which are attached to rafter poles with the shower hooks and held out with guy rope and thin tent poles.

Sleeping is not easy as it is not getting cooler at night. Take a sheet to use instead of a duvet and put a wet tea towel over the fan front. The fan is white noise and very good at disguising the noise that others inevitably make since we all have doors and windows open all night and it is very quiet.

Eat late, go to bed later and get up early and then sleep in the afternoon.

At least it isn't the ghastly humid heat we get at home.

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We leave the roof vents open as well which is adequate for us.

We are fortunate to have the option of either flyscreens or silverscreens so we use the flyscreens at night.

I have attached one of those shrieking personal attack alarms between the two, in case anyone decides to climb in via a roof light, for added security.

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Suck it up and enjoy you could be back home , been traveling down through Germany now in Austria ,been mid 30' s ..roll on Slovenia and Croatia.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We leave roof vents open and in the daytime i use clothes pegs to fix fabric (a towel) over the open windows. The windows hinge at the top so with a towel draped over the window it acts like a mini sunshade and the air can still get in/out!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back