Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi folks just wondered how you keep cool when in say southern Spain in July, haven't bought our motorhome yet but while looking we don't see a lot with AC in habitation,are the portables OK,we've seen one that hangs outside on window while fan is inside,
Thanks in advance.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Before we got our MH I looked at the unit you describe, but if memory serves, they have a very low output, and so in the intense summer heat of Spain, probably be close to useless.
We purchased a second hand rooftop AC unit from our dealer, and he fitted it. And so far, we are extremely happy with it. We did have a few teething problems with it, the unit leaked in the first rainfall after purchase, but took it back and it was all sorted.
I'd say that you'd be better off getting a rooftop unit, but that's my personal opinion, I await to be corrected :)

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Window ones.. waste of money.. roof top ones work well, but they do need an EHU with at least 6amps .. and in Spain a lot of hook ups are not only small amperage but also metered.. so you will end up with a large bill. Roof a/c is also noisy .. will keep you awake and also annoy your neighbours ..

We had two on the RV roof, .. one in the bedroom and one in the lounge.. . we ran the bedroom unit before going to bed for an hour or so, that was nice.. but it soon warmed up again.. .. but to be frank, I would either avoid Spain in high summer, or acclimatise.. you do get used to heat eventually.. no point in going there and sitting indoors with a/c running.

A 12 " desk fan works quite well..

Frankly, I wouldn't bother with it.. .. but would not be without Cab A/C.. that is an absolute must for driving in Southern Europe in summer..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Window ones.. waste of money.. roof top ones work well, but they do need an EHU with at least 6amps .. and in Spain a lot of hook ups are not only small amperage but also metered.. so you will end up with a large bill. Roof a/c is also noisy .. will keep you awake and also annoy your neighbours ..
Yes very valid point, although on the outside ours is quite quiet, the compressor does hum. On the inside it is too noisy to allow sleep. We run ours for about an hour in the evening at about 6, when we put daughter to bed. Keep all doors and windows closed, whilst myself and OH enjoy a glass of wine outside. When we turn in for the night, it is still cool enough inside to allow sleep. Ours also has a fan mode, which is very quiet, and we use that to keep the air circulated.
This keeps the leccy bill down, but more importantly, doesn't annoy your neighbours.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have had roof top ac and would not bother again, noisey and expensive.....it's like trying to sleep on a flight?

You get used to the heat after a few days to be honest. We just bring a 12 inch fan and that adequate to be honest, have had to turn it off during the night as gets to cool :)

Personally would avoid med Spain July August as it really does get hot! That for someone who goes to India etc.......

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thanks everyone I think we'll try acclimatisation and a fan before the expense of a roof top unit and won't bother at all with a portable one,
cheers Kevin and Lynn
Probably the best and cheapest option, as Scot said, you aren't going to be sitting inside much, you'll be outside enjoying the weather :D

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks everyone I think we'll try acclimatisation and a fan before the expense of a roof top unit and won't bother at all with a portable one,
cheers Kevin and Lynn

Have a good trip.. a few tips..

1. Always try to find a pitch under shade .. out in the open when it's 40c is not pleasant. If you have no shade, an awning helps , park up with it facing north.. this will maximize the shaded space.

2. some sites have a scaffold type frame around the pitches to hang your own sun screens over.. so take some cheap plastic tarp... can also be used as a groundsheet on sandy pitches.. most are, helps keep the sand and grit out of your van ..

3. On most sites the ground is like concrete .. if you have an awning, ground sheet or wind break and are going to use pegs.. take a bunch of 6in nails and a 2lb lump hammer.. ordinary pegs just bend... a wooden mallet is as good as a chocolate fire guard

4. Many sites will have a continental EHU .. you will need a continental adapter.

5. You may also need more than 20mts of EHU cable.. an extra 10 mt will come in useful.

6. Fridges struggle in high summer.. so try to park with the fridge vents facing North, also consider fitting an extractor fan in the TOP vent.. this helps enormously.. A 12v PC fan is ideal .. Dometic have their own expensive version.

7. Water may be some distance from your pitch... a watering can can be very useful for topping up.. buy one locally if needed.

anything else.. just ask..

Typical Spanish site , note scaffold poles and some tree shade .. also used for satellite dish..

BROKEN LINK

DSC_1164.jpg

Filling.. only a few more to go ..

B0008130.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks a lot scotjimland will take all tips on board.

Upvote 0

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Have a good trip.. a few tips..

1. Always try to find a pitch under shade .. out in the open when it's 40c is not pleasant. If you have no shade, an awning helps , park up with it facing north.. this will maximize the shaded space.

2. some sites have a scaffold type frame around the pitches to hang your own sun screens over.. so take some cheap plastic tarp... can also be used as a groundsheet on sandy pitches.. most are, helps keep the sand and grit out of your van ..

3. On most sites the ground is like concrete .. if you have an awning, ground sheet or wind break and are going to use pegs.. take a bunch of 6in nails and a 2lb lump hammer.. ordinary pegs just bend... a wooden mallet is as good as a chocolate fire guard

4. Many sites will have a continental EHU .. you will need a continental adapter.

5. You may also need more than 20mts of EHU cable.. an extra 10 mt will come in useful.

6. Fridges struggle in high summer.. so try to park with the fridge vents facing North, also consider fitting an extractor fan in the TOP vent.. this helps enormously.. A 12v PC fan is ideal .. Dometic have their own expensive version.

7. Water may be some distance from your pitch... a watering can can be very useful for topping up.. buy one locally if needed.

anything else.. just ask..

Typical Spanish site , note scaffold poles and some tree shade .. also used for satellite dish..

BROKEN LINK

DSC_1164.jpg

Filling.. only a few more to go ..

B0008130.jpg

Upvote 0

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
@ScotJimland
I have plenty of cable for the hookup, but are you saying normal British Extension Cable is no good abroad?

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have plenty of cable for the hookup, but are you saying normal British Extension Cable is no good abroad?

no, I didn't say that,

the normal length of a hook up cable is 25 mts, and will suffice on most sites... but on SOME sites and aires you MAY need more.. better to carry an extra 10mt than find you are short .

When full time, I used to carry 2 x 25 mt and 1 x 10mt .. this covered just about any eventuality.. and I have used them all on a French aire..

Upvote 0

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Thanks - That makes me feel happier :)

Any particular continental adaptor you recommend?

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A bucket of ice in front of a fan works quite well. :)

yes.. it would.. if you have an ice making machine.. :LOL:

reminds me of my early camping days in the south of France in the 70s..
We had no fridge, but the camp shop sold blocks of ice for the cool box.. by the time you got back to the tent it was nearly melted.. :ROFLMAO:

happy days..

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just a bowl of water works but you can usually buy ice in the supermarket, pack it in a cool bag and Robert's your Mum's brother. :)

Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
no ice in my scotch. just add scotch

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just reminded me of something that can save lives

if a child or dog gets too hot, cover them in wet towels and the evaporating water cools them down

in arab countries, they use wet blankets/sheets hung over windows to keep cooler in the fierce heat of mid day

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We don't tend to worry about the air conditioning for us, but we have two dogs and we are happy popping out say shopping after the dogs have had a run and a swim, and asleep in the van with the AC on. We have a device that tells us by a GSM message if the AC fails so it gives us two or three hours dog less to get things done.

I wouldn't necessarily advocate having AC on over night but do find when it is time to turn in, going into a cool motorhome, getting into a cool bed is quite soporific lol

When travelling and hook up isn't an option like SJim we use Fantstic Fans, we have changed all the roof vents over so you'll be amazed the cooling effect you'll get having one blowing in and one sucking out. We happily leave a FFan on overnight

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
but to be frank, I would either avoid Spain in high summer, or acclimatise.. you do get used to heat eventually.. no point in going there and sitting indoors with a/c running.

A 12 " desk fan works quite well..

Frankly, I wouldn't bother with it.. .. but would not be without Cab A/C.. that is an absolute must for driving in Southern Europe in summer..

Yes a vehicle without a/c is nearly unsellable around here these days. We used to run a VWLT28 van for work, without a/c. :( It cannot be described what it is like.
As an aside , my mpv which is black, when left in the sun will attain temps of 73ºc around the front seats.If you've to get in & use it :Eeek::Eeek:
& yes as Jim says July /August is hot. around here it averages just below 40 & then there is the humidity. It makes going down to Águilas a pleasant experience.:D Even feels a tad on the 'cool' side.:LOL:
Even June can be exceptionally hot.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back