Keeping Cool - Be Cool Aluminet Shade Net (1 Viewer)

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I just had a look and the material looks similar to Soltis. However, an A Class blind will cost you around £300, and we made ours for:
Three metres Material 177cm wide £60 - trade source!
Edge Tape £12 - same source
Polyester thread ebay £7.50

Less than £80 and made to measure!
John

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Can see many uses for this & handy size so bought this one https://www.becoolsolutions.com/products/multi-function-shade-cloth - got the 5% discount & free shipping so £68.50 delivered (showing on online statement already) using credit card (one with zero transaction fee), paying in dollars & opting in to credit card exchange rate via Paypal checkout . Sounds complicated but it's not difficult & quite a saving compared to buying it on Amazon at £89 :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
For anyone who is considering this - free delivery offer expires tomorrow at 2pm - normally at least $20!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JaveaSteve

Free Member
Nov 8, 2017
Javea, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium T70GE
Thank you for the feedback & happy that our posts have been helpful :) It would be good to know how long it takes to get there & how well it works for you. Javea & along that coast is on our wishlist of places to visit for some winter sun as it looks like a lovely area.
Ordered last Friday, here today, so no qualms about delivery, although tracking did not work. Forecast is 29 degrees tomorrow so will see how well it works over weekend.

JaveaSteve

Free Member
Nov 8, 2017
Javea, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium T70GE
Picking peoples brains for suggestions and ideas of how to fit and secure a 6x4m BeCoolSolutions shade to Motorhome. My thoughts are a continuous elastic cord through the eyelets all the way around to grip to sides of MH, then a couple of bungee straps on the sides with a wire rope + padlock to the front and rear to stop it possibly blowing away or being removed by someone of the FREE Cool Solution persuasion.........

JaveaSteve

Free Member
Nov 8, 2017
Javea, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium T70GE
For Information. Have been using the 6m x 4m Aluminet Cover now for a week or so and yes it does keep the locked up insides slightly cooler by what appears to be 2° or 3° cooler, highest temp recorded so far 34.5° whereas in the past it has been up to 39°. Feel it must help with protection from Sun Damage though and personally we will only use it when Motorhome not being used as not the easiest/quickest thing to install and besides when in use the windows would be as well.

Attachments

• Aluminet Cover.jpg
    Aluminet Cover.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 36
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Is the Aluminet cover see-through? I'm thinking about getting a custom-sized one as a windscreen shade for the front of our a-class (we already have a couple of suction pads we could use to hold it in place). Don't really want full silver screens (too fiddly and bulky, and block out too much light) but thought this might be cheaper & more compact solution. If anyone has one, I'd love to see a photo of it in use over windows.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Is the Aluminet cover see-through? I'm thinking about getting a custom-sized one as a windscreen shade for the front of our a-class (we already have a couple of suction pads we could use to hold it in place). Don't really want full silver screens (too fiddly and bulky, and block out too much light) but thought this might be cheaper & more compact solution. If anyone has one, I'd love to see a photo of it in use over windows.
Aluminet has gaps but for us a better compact option for fitted exterior windscreen shading & privacy is the mesh screen from Minster - info. on post #19 https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-cool-aluminet-shade-net.215951/#post-3898277

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
14ft x 10ft (USA) comes in at $119 which is a shade (sorry) under £100.

4.3Mts x 3mts (same sizeish) is £89 Free Postage on Amazon UK.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Aluminet has gaps but for us a better compact option for fitted exterior windscreen shading & privacy is the mesh screen from Minster - info. on post #19 https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-cool-aluminet-shade-net.215951/#post-3898277
I don't think they do a simple mesh one for a-classes so we'd be looking at over £300 for an full polar cover with the fold-down privacy mesh (and like I said....they're too bulky and fiddly).
An 18' x 4' Aluminet would be less than £50 (at today's fx rates) and as I don't need to worry about shipping costs because can get it delivered to someone in LA who regularly travels home, it sounds like a cheap and simple solution.

4.3Mts x 3mts (same sizeish) is £89 Free Postage on Amazon UK.
Didn't know you could get them on Amazon....and someone has posted a review with just the kind of photo I was looking for - thanks!

JaveaSteve

Free Member
Nov 8, 2017
Javea, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium T70GE
I bought the 'Solar View See out Screen' for the Windscreen from Silver Screens which appears to do what you want. I've not used it as yet due to travel restrictions. Have the Aluminet and don't think I would consider it as an alternative, the view out appears to be restricted just a bit too much. See photo of my side window with Aluminet cover over hanging

Attachments

• IMG_5625.JPG
    IMG_5625.JPG
    265.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5624.JPG
    IMG_5624.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 30
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I bought the 'Solar View See out Screen' for the Windscreen from Silver Screens which appears to do what you want. I've not used it as yet due to travel restrictions. Have the Aluminet and don't think I would consider it as an alternative, the view out appears to be restricted just a bit too much. See photo of my side window with Aluminet cover over hanging
Thanks - wasn't aware of Solar View covers, I've contacted them for a quote (y)
I'm not too bothered about being able to see out (it'd be nice though), the main this is that I really don't want it to be dark inside. But if the Solar View covers are a reasonable price then I'd be happy to pay a bit more if it meant being able to see out.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks - wasn't aware of Solar View covers, I've contacted them for a quote (y)
I'm not too bothered about being able to see out (it'd be nice though), the main this is that I really don't want it to be dark inside. But if the Solar View covers are a reasonable price then I'd be happy to pay a bit more if it meant being able to see out.
Just had the quote back from SilverScreens for the Solar View (very quick!).....at £189 they're quite pricey :(

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I don't think they do a simple mesh one for a-classes so we'd be looking at over £300 for an full polar cover with the fold-down privacy mesh (and like I said....they're too bulky and fiddly).
Minster do make bespoke full mesh privacy screens for A Class motorhomes like the Solar View ones mentioned above - don't know their prices for this but mesh type screen covers roll up to take up very little space. An Aluminet net is versatile being able to be used for shade in various ways.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Minster do make bespoke full mesh privacy screens for A Class motorhomes like the Solar View ones mentioned above - don't know their prices for this but mesh type screen covers roll up to take up very little space. An Aluminet net is versatile being able to be used for shade in various ways.
Messaged to check & just heard back - Minster full privacy mesh for front windows on an A Class is £110 plus £3 p&p (y)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Are their mesh ones solar reflective or just a privacy mesh?
Privacy mesh - we have it & it does give shade keeping the motorhome cooler as well as privacy during daylight hours but extra blinds (we have Remis internal ones) are needed at night with internal lights on for the privacy aspect.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Privacy mesh - we have it & it does give shade keeping the motorhome cooler as well as privacy during daylight hours but extra blinds (we have Remis internal ones) are needed at night with internal lights on for the privacy aspect.
We have internal blinds already if we need privacy....this is more about keeping the inside cooler in the (hopefully!) hot weather. I contacted Minster and they confirmed that whilst their mesh product will provide some shade, it has no thermal properties.

I'm still unsure whether I should spend around £50 for a DIY solution that will be effective but block the view (and might be a bit fiddly to put up), or whether I should fork out £189 for the Solar View fitted cover. We're planning a trip to SW France in September so we'll probably see how we go without any covers this year and see how it goes. In previous years our coachbuilt MH got quite stuffy but not unbearable, but we never used the cab seats when we were on site so were happy to leave the internal blinds closed all the time.

JaveaSteve I'd love to hear your impressions once you've had the chance to use your Solar View see out screen, and maybe a photo too? ;)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
DangerMousy the Solar View panels that we have seen have been grey mesh just like all the other versions so all should be equal with regards to thermal properties. We do find our Minster version does keep the cab much cooler but that's just our experience!

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Just been doing sum maffs and if it was 30C then it would reduce the temp to a possible 22C or 8C drop, in old money 86F down to 72F still hot but bearable but they are a price with the £ to $ exchange, there must be a UK supplier Someone like Minster products (No connection with firm) must be able to come up with something similar and made to measure. Not in the market personally but had a front screen done by them and well impressed.
As I remember Silver Screens used to do a Privacy screen which used to effectively cut out the
Just been doing sum maffs and if it was 30C then it would reduce the temp to a possible 22C or 8C drop, in old money 86F down to 72F still hot but bearable but they are a price with the £ to $ exchange, there must be a UK supplier Someone like Minster products (No connection with firm) must be able to come up with something similar and made to measure. Not in the market personally but had a front screen done by them and well impressed.
That seems to be the same sort of material that Silver Screens used to supply made to measure as a Privacy screen you could see out but not in it also used to keep out sunlight and heat and worked well. Also Lillypad Screens also keep out about 50%sunlight and also the sun's heat I have used both products and both worked at keeping the heat out, and you haven't got the long wait or the postage charges.

JaveaSteve

Free Member
Nov 8, 2017
Javea, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium T70GE
For Info.
Having used the Be Cool Solutions Aluminet Cover for the past 15 weeks. Today I found the batteries to be only registering half. Therefore I'm assuming they are blocking the sun sufficiently enough to stop the solar panel from working properly and consequently keeping the inside cooler. During the 15 week period the top temp inside was recorded at 35.5 whereas the outside was warmer than that on many occasions. Within two hours of removing the cover, the state of the batteries already appeared to be improving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back