Free Member
Aug 16, 2012
Ringwood
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi all, only recently registered with Motorhome fun and hope I am posting in the correct place. Sorry if not and can you point me in the right direction. :Smile:

I have a G reg Citroen Hymer 564 and have spent a lot of money on it over the last few years getting many major parts reconditioned. The starter motor is causing a real headache. I have had the starter reconditioned five times in as many years and it is still not right.
Does anyone know where I might find a new or decent starter motor for my beloved old Hymer?

Thanks for reading this, I really hope someone can help.

Cheers

Schpinky

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I with you on the older MOTORHOMES but it may help if the engine type were known 2.5 1.9?? Petrol / Diesel
I had a similar problem with last Ford Transit after 4 went back to local reconditioning shop well known in Plymouth ,turned out the bendix didn’t match the teeth on the flywheel .
Searched around on eBay and found supplier with a contact number after the usual questions bought one correct for my model and cheaper than shop locally job done

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as to the starter is the flywheel ok .they had a habit of chewing up the ring gear on them . that can mess a starter up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Schpinky

Free Member
Aug 16, 2012
Ringwood
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks peeps, the more info the better

Thank you all. Yes, I should have included more info. It's a 2.5L Turbo Diesel. I shall amend the original post to include that info. All the information you have given is great and I will investigate further. Feel like I may be starting to get somewhere and so soon after posting! Great stuff.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A little more info on what is actually happening to the starter will help. Is it engaging ?. Is it just clicking ?. Is it throwing out before starting ?. Is it chewing up the bendix ?. etc, etc, etc,.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
as to the starter is the flywheel ok .they had a habit of chewing up the ring gear on them . that can mess a starter up.

Also, check if the starter needs shimming. Modern engine starters just bolt on, but older models might require shimming to get the correct teeth engagement, a skill not understood by many fitters used to modern vehicles.

Upvote 0

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Also, check if the starter needs shimming. Modern engine starters just bolt on, but older models might require shimming to get the correct teeth engagement, a skill not understood by many fitters used to modern vehicles.

Back in the 70s I had a Cortina with starter problems. We tried everything new ring gear pinions with different teeth etc.

I had one starter on the vehicle, one in the boot, and one in the auto electricians getting new pinion fitted. I was such a regular customer they fitted them free and I got the pinions at trade price.

Then one day the engine blew up and I fitted another and the same ring gear and starter were fitted and it never needed another starter again. It turned out that the face on the crankshaft had been badly machined so everything was running out of true.

We bought the car from a dealer as scrap, as they couldn't fathom out the problem either. I had the art of changing the starter off to a matter of minutes.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back