Tour Guide Wanted Keeping a digital record. (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2019
Rochester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbie but not a virgin
Hi all, In September, we are off to Scotland and the NC500 plus other stops both wild and at club sites. I will be taking hard copy maps as backup to GPS as i understand coverage is poor in some areas . I do have a FUN yearbook from Newberry (thanks) but would like to plan and keep an accurate digital route for the est. 2500m round trip.(and other trips too).
Google Maps is great for 10 waypoints so i can break it down daily but I am looking for some software that will cover possibly 70 waypoints. I usually use my android phone for navigation, but can also use an android tablet or an old TomTom GO720 (Tomtom unused for years)
Many years ago i seem to vaguely remember some software that would link photos taken onto a map as a record although this would of course be retrospective and quite useless in the planning stage.
Has anyone found something suitable they could recommend please.
Cheers Alan

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Try downloading the app Polarsteps .
Post pics of your trip ,keeps track ect ect .share with your followers .
IMG_20190531_100449_289.JPG

Last edited:
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Definitely Polarsteps if you're looking for a easy way to track where you have been and add notes and photos. Though if you're going to be in an area with patchy mobile coverage then I'd suggest setting the Travel Tracker to the highest setting to improve accuracy (and keeping the phone plugged in).

Its recently been updated so you can put planned stops in too - its not a route planner but it'll let you see the outline of where you plan to go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The MyRoute app lets you easily plan a route with multiple stops and you can put notes in the marker for each stop too.
Here is the markers I have put in for our new trip to Germany and also stop 22 opened up. Not going to stop at all these places, just notes from reading suggestions on the forum.

Once you are actually driving, you can set it to track.
333C0B10-C383-4418-AB12-36D42F4E75BC.png

C8BA3BDC-5A6A-42BA-BEF3-AEB25F15911E.png

OP
OP
Alan Gillespie
May 16, 2019
Rochester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbie but not a virgin
Thanks again, I have briefly looked at both and so far i think they can both be very useful, cheers Alan

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've just installed polarsteps on my phone. Looks useful I will try it on my next trip, not until August though.
Ihave trouble remembering all the places we stop at on a trip, and I can record useful stuff like when I fill up with lpg.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I’ve also downloaded the app, and am trying it out on local trips of 10+ miles to see if it works. It does. The journey lengths aren’t important.
It doesn’t appear to follow your route exactly, but a very good approximation, unlike google maps timeline setting.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Hi all, In September, we are off to Scotland and the NC500 plus other stops both wild and at club sites. I will be taking hard copy maps as backup to GPS as i understand coverage is poor in some areas .

The coverage that will be poor will be cell phone coverage not GPS coverage, they are quite separate.

As for tracking. Fit a tracker then that will record where your mh has been as well as being a useful security device.

Bob Clewley

Free Member
Jan 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT560
Exp
since 2005
There are ways to add more than 10 points when adding a track to Google Maps... We tend to track some of our trips and get the GPX file... Sometimes this is a little large for Google but using this advice you can get around that.

Some of our routes can be seen here

SHABBINS

Free Member
May 4, 2018
sheffield
Funster No
MH
IH RD600
Exp
For Garmin sat nav users Basecamp is a great free piece of software. It runs on Mac or PC and can load routes to the sat nav and also download your detailed travels back into the computer. Stores a vast amount of details including pics.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
For Garmin Sat Nav users Basecamp is a great free piece of software. It runs on Mac or PC and can load routes to the sat nav and also download your detailed travels back into the computer. Stores a vast amount of details including pics.
Thanks for the reminder on the Basecamp App. When we had the caravan a few years back a couple of guys on The ST Forum swore by using The Basecamp APP.
It allowed them to pre plan their route as you say and download to their Garmin Sat Navs plus loads more facilities inc POI's and stops.
Like most techie things I went in had a brief look at it, saw its potential, but realised that it would need a fair amount of trial & error playing with it to understand it.
I was too busy at the time, but I will have another go.
It would be silly not to learn how to use it as its as you say Its Free, and has been designed to work alongside the Garmin Sat Nav.
Will go ind have another look at it soon, hope to find some user Hints & Tips this time, maybe on You Tube or alike.

Les

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
RV Companion is another good (and Motorhome specific) app you can use. Record sites, photos, notes mileage etc. Plus to do and maintenance sections. Back uptonDropbox too if you need it.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Son came home weekend and we was in the car and I said the sat nav was meant to have a dash cam but it doesn’t work. He went bish bosh and said it’s been working all along look here is old footage. Even voice. I can’t remember what he did , will have to get him to show again at Xmas

SHABBINS

Free Member
May 4, 2018
sheffield
Funster No
MH
IH RD600
Exp
Thanks for the reminder on the Basecamp App. When we had the caravan a few years back a couple of guys on The ST Forum swore by using The Basecamp APP.
It allowed them to pre plan their route as you say and download to their Garmin Sat Navs plus loads more facilities inc POI's and stops.
Like most techie things I went in had a brief look at it, saw its potential, but realised that it would need a fair amount of trial & error playing with it to understand it.
I was too busy at the time, but I will have another go.
It would be silly not to learn how to use it as its as you say Its Free, and has been designed to work alongside the Garmin Sat Nav.
Will go ind have another look at it soon, hope to find some user Hints & Tips this time, maybe on You Tube or alike.

Les
This software has a great help system built in, plus loads of online tips and tricks. Been going a lot of years so loads of info. Been using it for over 10 years in UK, Europe, South and North America and it works. Slow learning curve but start simple planning a route you know well and see if it can perform. Great for finding that little cove you spent 1 night in 5 years ago by looking up your route.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back