Kayaks (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I`ve not sat in a Kayak for donkeys years but before I had the Moho a few years ago I was up near Loch Rannock for work and was overwhelmed with a desire to get on the Loch. It was a beautiful autumn sunny day and not a breath of wind, and as still as a mill pond, not a ripple and would love to have had a Kayak with me (no midges either)
So i`ve been thinking of getting one for when I get that urge again on my travels. I don`t want to spend a lot in case I decide it`s not for me. I looked at @Wildmans thread on here but I think most posts were from more serious kayakers paying bigger money than I want to commit to.
I`ve seen these two on ebay and wonder if anyone has any thoughts on them ? Both seem to sell around £100 plus life jackets etc.

Intex Challenger K2 2 Man Inflatable Kayak
Or
Sevylor Riviera 2 Man Kayak With Paddle

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not wishing to be personal but you say K2 so I assume you will go out 2 up, what weight would that be all up as this type of boat run at quite a low pressure so are not terribly rigid, we have a Gumotex Canoe and it runs twice the air pressure compared to a sevylor andca lot more rigid but more money as well. The Riviera looks a bit short and dumpy to make much headway.

Martin

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Exactly the same situation and idea in 2014 in Scotland as OP, so this year we bought a SeaEagle kayak, to take with us. Used on loch lomond and loch nader, great fun. Ideal for one person can take 2 but we would'nt.

Bought this as it seemed compact and easy, but solid and well built. If we are still using it in a couple of years we might get something better.

We looked at a few but this just ticked all our boxes. We found some videos on youtube that were helpful as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I guess operating pressure is the difference between the cheapies and buying something better. I'll look into the seaeagle.
just one up plus small dog for the most part I think don't expect I'd get the OH on it !
Cheers guys

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Sea eagle kayak for us too, really stable and skeg makes it really controllable, very easy to transport / inflate. We have the 2/3 man one love it but a bit more expensive than your budget. x:-)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My OH is not a canoeist and really does not like the water other than warm bath water but she thoroughly enjoyed being in the canoe while we were in the Czech republic, mind you it was 33 degrees and about the only sensible place to be.

This Gumotex Palava paddles best with two people in as there is not enough keel for one to get it running straight on there own.

image.jpeg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The Sevylor adventurer look a better Kayak BUT more money.

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Some postings here about kayaks:

This is what I wrote on the below thread and worth thinking about what TYPE to go for:

We have had a few inflatable canoes/kayaks and we are big fans of the Gumotex range for several reasons - the basic difference between Gumotex and most other makes/types of inflatable lies in how they are constructed.

Non-Gumotex inflatables:
Most other inflatable canoes/kayaks are made with internal bladders within zipped outer covers (2 in each side and 1 in the base) and the problem with this is that the water gets inside the cover (even though the zips are inside where you sit you cannot avoid it as they are not waterproof). This means that as well as the polyester/nylon type outer material absorbing some water whilst using the kayak/canoe, with it getting inside the covers it is an absolute s*d to get out again and one you have managed this, you have to wait for it to dry which can take a long, long time - I know 'cause we bought some like this and soon regretted it! Fine if you intend to only use them at the same spot you are staying at for a while but not if you've just popped there for a paddle before moving on the same day.

Gumotex:
Their models in contrast are much, much easier to dry as they are made in once piece so no separate bladders and cover - it is all 'moulded' together so the water cannot get 'inside' at all - they can therefore be quickly and easily dried with a cloth/towel and put away, no having to wait for them to dry or pack them away wet to dry them elsewhere such as back a your campsite (unlessyou want to). They also can be inflated to a higher psi than the bladder type so are more rigid and are very tough being made from either full Nitrilon (a material which will take a lot of knocks) or a lighter version called Hevealon to keep the weight down (called Litepak when it first came out), some models even have a mixture of the 2 types and depending on your requirements you can get whatever type you want/need, and whatever your budget allows. Quite a lot of their models can do WW3!

We currently have a couple of Gumotex Helios 1 kayaks which are very good and if I want I can put on a skeg and also a rudder on for longer trips. I can quite happily go for a paddle for a couple of hours or more without any problem at all.
Since I wrote the above we've bought a couple of Gumotex Twist 1 kayaks and they are very good too.

Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forgot to say, now is a very good time to buy abroad due to the exchange rate!

If you go for the Gumotex Twist 1 in 'camo' it currently costs €239 @ a rate of €1.38 = £1 that equates to £173 and delivery isn't much at all - in fact I seem to recall it was cheaper than a UK shop sending them to us!

Broken Link Removed

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I was in the market for a Kayak recently and did quite a bit of research.

The Intex challenger is the kind of inflatable you'd find at beach resorts - it can be bought VERY cheaply on Amazon.

The Sevylor Riviera is a bit better but still a basic single skin design - Gooutdoors often have one out on display, again lots of deals online.

We needed something quite heavy duty, suitable for a family (two adults, two smallish kids).
We eventually bought a double skinned Sevylor Hudson from http://www.decathlon.co.uk/
It is very study and paddles nicely when calm, it can be hard work if the wind picks up ( all inflatables?)
We also bought a backpack to store/carry it in which is very handy.
Downsides - it's quite heavy and difficult to thoroughly dry out. Water gets trapped between the skins, it takes time and effort to dry it properly.
We've used it more than we thought and it's still in great condition. Would've used it even more if drying out wasn't such an issue.

If it's just you and the dog and if you can stretch to the cost, I'd recommend a Gumotex too.
They're more rigid (and better constructed) than any of the Sevylor range and being single skinned, they're lightweight, very easy to transport and care for.
The cost of a large Gumotex is north of £500, I can't justify the expense but as the kids get a bit older and we buy a couple of smaller kayaks, I'm certainly going Gumotex next time !

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We used to be much more serious about kayaking than we are now :)

We sold our big touring kayaks and have bought smaller "fishing" rigid sit-ons but due to circumstances haven't managed to get our with them yet.

If you go for an inflatable make sure you try it before you buy - especially important for females with larger (ahem) hips. ;)

A few of us are planning on posting on the group where we will be with our kayaks in future so if anyone is local to you or you fancy a trip out then it would be worth coming along for a blether and a paddle :)

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Looks like gumotex is the way to go, I like the idea of quick drying, a lot of comments on how long the others take to dry is off putting.
I might also look at rigids and make use of the rear ladder and roof bars, suppose I'd just need the cross sections. Somehow packed away out of sight just seems preferable.
I'll keep a look out for the "funsters go kayaking" meet.
Chris

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
How will you secure it ?

Ratchet straps as we do when we carry the boats on the top of the car. Also at bow and stern with the straps used as part of the pulley system :)

I like the karitek kit and may see what they can do for us :) Lifting boats is getting more difficult as we get older, another reason for changing the big touring kayaks for small dayboats.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just one thing to consider when transporting/storing a kayak/canoe externally - make sure you can secure it so it can't be nicked!

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Ratchet straps as we do when we carry the boats on the top of the car. Also at bow and stern with the straps used as part of the pulley system :)

I like the karitek kit and may see what they can do for us :) Lifting boats is getting more difficult as we get older, another reason for changing the big touring kayaks for small dayboats.
It would be good to speak to Karitek whilst your van is preproduction as the siting of things like aerials and strengthening can be built in to the van to accommodate the rack. And don't forget if you go down the pulley route you have to climb up to put the straps on.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
It would be good to speak to Karitek whilst your van is preproduction as the siting of things like aerials and strengthening can be built in to the van to accommodate the rack. And don't forget if you go down the pulley route you have to climb up to put the straps on.

No aerial on the van as we don't have a tv in it :) The solar panel siting has already been discussed as has the roof supports. There will be a ladder in the back for roof access and the roof is strong enough for people to walk and lie on it :)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Love the rack :)

We've ordered a roof rack for the new van so will carry ours on the top. Loading will be with a roller and pulley system :)
Thanks, no chance on the roof of ours as it is covered with solar panels. The yak is prevented from sliding to the left at the bottom by a shoe fitted to the towbar and the top sits behind the bar as can be seen. All connections were to existing fittings with no additional holes in the van. I had to move the reversing camera and that still works fine just need a suitable light cluster to replace the trailer board and jobs a good one. The yak is secured with a ratchet strap plus a couple of bike locks that fit through the scupper holes. everything else goes in the various lockers. We trialled it all around Wales in October. If anybody wants a similar rack I'd be happy to make one assuming somewhere to secure it. By all means bring your own Aluminium tubing. I can source other bits locally.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Many thanks to @MinxyGirl for the recommendation and link to the German site. I ordered a Gumotex Twist 2 plus all the bits and pieces at what seems like a good price ☺
Just got to find somewhere to try out when they come in new year.
Thanks again and merry Christmas.
Chris

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
View media item 14814
Here is ours Fully Loaded for a wales trip
1x white water kayak
1x Sea Kayak
1x Playboat
+ 2 bikes.

Beleive it or not we was only just over the weight limit but shh! dont tell anyone

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Wow, plenty there to keep you occupied !
Have you got any recommondations for good Kayak spots in Wales ?

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 ft sea kayak as its actually a sea/tourer cross
All Jacksons....
Journey

Best spots in wales so far are Lake Bala balacamping.co.uk I used to go to Gwynant but the owner is a complete obsenaty & i will never go back again.
If you want white water then the Welsh white water centre runs into lake bala but dont paddle it unless you know what you are doing as the very last part are the falls........

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you go to Balacamping.co.uk tell Molly that rob from the T4club recomended you......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back