kayaking on the river dee at Easter (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
just wondering if anyone has paddled the revere Dee at Chester is ther any moving water rapids or safe wears to descend
bill

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Bill, there are no Rapids but there is a wear , you often see people on the river in canoes etc.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi Bill, there are no Rapids but there is a wear , you often see people on the river in canoes etc.
will try to get soume info on it but we might head for wales after
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
the river is tidal at Chester racecourse Bill. up to the weir that Carol mentioned, it looks to move really quickly with the tide, or has done on previous years :)(y)

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Llangollen is quite challaging on the water I believe Bill.
I used to tech there and trained with the Scottish and welsh teem their went to many a competition their in my younger days AS DID @funflair
BILL

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I used to tech there and trained with the Scottish and welsh teem their went to many a competition their in my younger days AS DID @funflair
BILL
Were you at the Fosters or Russel Hobbs Bill, I got my medal of John Lugbill.

I know the town falls quite well @Carol Serpents tail town falls in full flood in a cardboard box, they actually called it the Mike Jones memorial weekend but any excuse to be very silly.

Martin

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
IMG_20170808_164632.jpg
IMG_20170808_164522.jpg

Just might dump him in at langollen that will challenge him :D

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Were you at the Fosters or Russel Hobbs Bill, I got my medal of John Lugbill.

I know the town falls quite well @Carol Serpents tail town falls in full flood in a cardboard box, they actually called it the Mike Jones memorial weekend but any excuse to be very silly.

Martin
think i could well have Ben their bud i wasent in your category:notworthy2: i was fairly crap
but wasn't to bad a coch (y)
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Llangollen is abut 45min from Chester and has good parking all hard standing (y)
bill

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Bill @Wildbill and @Carol

You got me raking through old photo's mentioning Llangollen town falls,

IMG_1299.jpg

Thats me in the front going through gate 14,

IMG_1301.jpg

Then upstream under the bridge with a duck wondering what the ---- we are doing,

IMG_1297.jpg

Interestingly this is the same gate the next day after the water came up, thats my younger Brother,

IMG_1295.jpg

and then for something completely different, Cardboard canoe race Serpents tail ti Llangollen town, below the weir:LOL:

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

Complete with emergency cardboard spray deck when we saw the river was in flood,

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

Setting off on the flat section at the top, very very wobbly before it took on some water in the bottom fall then it was a lot better for the 20 minutes down to the town falls.

It has to be said very few made it all the way down the Serpents Tail let alone the town falls.

And then we spent too long in the pub and couldn't be bothered to put the tent up so slept in the Eistedford field under the plastic bag the canoe was wrapped in, it didn't go back hoe with us:LOL:

I am slightly more sensible now, but also slightly boring.

Martin

Attachments

• IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi Bill @Wildbill and @Carol

You got me raking through old photo's mentioning Llangollen town falls,

View attachment 205785

Thats me in the front going through gate 14,

View attachment 205788

Then upstream under the bridge with a duck wondering what the ---- we are doing,

View attachment 205790

Interestingly this is the same gate the next day after the water came up, thats my younger Brother,

View attachment 205792

and then for something completely different, Cardboard canoe race Serpents tail ti Llangollen town, below the weir:LOL:

View attachment 205793

View attachment 205794

Complete with emergency cardboard spray deck when we saw the river was in flood,

View attachment 205795

View attachment 205796

Setting off on the flat section at the top, very very wobbly before it took on some water in the bottom fall then it was a lot better for the 20 minutes down to the town falls.

It has to be said very few made it all the way down the Serpents Tail let alone the town falls.

And then we spent too long in the pub and couldn't be bothered to put the tent up so slept in the Eistedford field under the plastic bag the canoe was wrapped in, it didn't go back hoe with us:LOL:

I am slightly more sensible now, but also slightly boring.

Martin
i remember this event martin i was a spectator on the other bank
bill

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This one is interesting unless your bored already,

IMG_1302.jpg

A friend was walking past a camera shop in Darlington and thought "I recognise those two" on questioning the shopkeeper he said the picture had appeared in the Nikon users club magazine and he clipped it out to show off a frame in his window (or to keep burglars away).

A few weeks later we get a call from another friend to say we were on all the TV screens in Kay's catalogue about 4 pages worth, same photo had been placed on an open resource pre internet 1982.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@funflair i will try and dig sum out but we lost a lot of our pick during a fire many years ago
bill
Bill do you remember Meikle and Brown? I think he was Alan Meikle scottish paddlers C2 crew but most likely started in Kayaks as we all did, early 1980's.

Martin

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bill do you remember Meikle and Brown? I think he was Alan Meikle scottish paddlers C2 crew but most likely started in Kayaks as we all did, early 1980's.

Martin
Yes but haven herd from them in years me i am still as crap as ever
bill

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
There's a tidal bore on the Dee Estuary - I know somebody who surfed it some years ago.

At Llangollen there's a lovely pub/restaurant across the river from the Steam railway station, it's called The Corn Mill and it has a deck that hangs out over the Dee rapids where the canoeists and kayakers shoot the town bridge. An entertaining place to eat out when the kayaks are around.

You can see it in Streetview here.

After Llangollen you'd go under the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct - that would be a spectacular sight.

The weir at Chester can be seen in Streetview here - it was for the old mills on the other side of the bridge.

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
There's a tidal bore on the Dee Estuary - I know somebody who surfed it some years ago.

The weir at Chester can be seen in Streetview here - it was for the old mills on the other side of the bridge.

The tidal bore on the Dee is quite something, Ed and I were cycling along and suddenly heard this loud noise it was the boar coming along the river, I keep meaning to catch another one but haven't yet.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The tidal bore on the Dee is quite something, Ed and I were cycling along and suddenly heard this loud noise it was the boar coming along the river, I keep meaning to catch another one but haven't yet.
might se if @funflair is up to riding it dependent on a good moon bill

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I moved to Deeside from West Kirby on the Wirral 45 years ago and in that time I’ve seen the Dee Bore 3 times, it moves quite slowly up the river but runs out of power before it reaches the weir at Chester and therefore does not run further up the freshwater side of the river beyond Chester.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi @Gooney, we were by the landing pad were they send the air bus wings down the river to Mostyn, it was very loud and quite a big tidal wave you could have easily have surfed it. I think we were really lucky as good ones only happen a few times a year. Another thing I keep saying I would like to do is see the A380 Air bus wings floated down the river.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I didn't know anything about the Dee Bore, I have seen rivers do it around us downstream but never an upstream tidal one.

Martin

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi @Gooney, we were by the landing pad were they send the air bus wings down the river to Mostyn, it was very loud and quite a big tidal wave you could have easily have surfed it. I think we were really lucky as good ones only happen a few times a year. Another thing I keep saying I would like to do is see the A380 Air bus wings floated down the river.

Hi Carol I’ve seen the wings being floated down the river a couple of times the whole operation is quite impressive, I’m sure you’ve seen the rail tracks in the road from the factory that they move on, can be a bit of a pain if your trying to get past when they decide to close the road to let the wing travel to the river bank. They have to get the timing of the river height just right to get under the Blue bridge.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Interesting thread love the pics Martin. Would have loved to have done something like that in my youth days. Give me a very still water pond and I'll be OK. . Keep posting your pics Martin and Bill please x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back