Karawankentunnel - have you done it? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
4 years
I was just smiling to myself when I looked at the map and realised that one of my proposed routes from Austria to Slovenia takes us through the 'Karawankentunnel'. However, I then realised that the border runs across the middle of the tunnel, meaning that half of the tunnel is in Slovenia and will be subject to tolls. I had been planning to buy the DarsGo unit (we are over 3.5t) in Slovenia but I wondered if I can get it before we leave Austria? Has anyone done this route?

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
There is a place, which last time i was there took cash only, just before the tunnel in Austria

However, there is a service station on the Slovene side a short distance from the tunnel near Jesenice where you can purchase vignettes & I'm sure DarsGo

Also, you can turn off before Jesenice and take the backroads to Bled (if your planning on going there) without using the motorway. You can easily get vignettes in Bled.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E
Feb 19, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
4 years
Many thanks. I've just looked on the DarsGo website and seen that there is a service station on the Slovene side. Not sure if we're brave enough to not use the motorways the first time we visit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Passed through 4 days ago. If you've got Austrian Go box drive straight through toll gate on the right, no barrier no beep. On Slovenia side first service area go to petrol station cash desk, very helpful, will sort your Dars Go box. You can pre pay at DARS web site, and upload V5C and C of C, then collect box at same place. Take receipt with bar code.
If over 3500kg you should have Austrian box.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Another query about the tunnel. Can you enter at the last junction on the Austria side and exit the first in Slovenia without a Go box and just pay the toll. We are over 3.5t and do not intend using the motorways. Just this tunnel to avoid the Wurzen pass.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure about the Austrian side (min's less than 3.5 & I always buy a vignette) but you can leave at the first exit in Slovenia (Jesenice) and not pay for a Vignette.

This means it possible to get to Bled (and beyond) without a vignette...

That said, for me life's too short to spoil my fun by trying to save a few bob......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I was intending on doing that. It's the Austrian side I'm concerned about.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’m back in Germany now near Heidelberg..... drove a fair bit around Slovenia/Austria and only got an €8 lez sticker when we drove into Vienna for two days, I’m not even sure we needed that either being euro five..?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back